council
Re: RSS News Block
  • 2005/1/19 13:50

• council

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/18

Quote:
Place this piece of code with corresponding digest_id into a new block, change number of messages (teasers), and character length of messages. This extra block will not display images only the expanded version of the feed displays the images. These are just the teasers.

Rocket, I missed the above in the earlier post. Ok, so what we've been talking about are "teasers" that can't disply images and css. Fine.

But how do I work with the secondary page? How do I control it? Change its outpit, css, etc? Get it to disply on my front page?

However, on your page, aren't your teasers edited for style?

R.

rocket98
  • 2005/1/19 16:17

• rocket98

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/2 2

council,

Which post do you want me to respond to?

This one or THIS ONE

I guess when things work well the level of excitement is raised a bar or two?

council
  • 2005/1/19 18:35

• council

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

rocket98 wrote:
council,

Which post do you want me to respond to?

This one or THIS ONE

I guess when things work well the level of excitement is raised a bar or two?

If you have the time, both.

I've also just installed Drupal, so would be interested in learning how to "pull" feeds from it. I've set up the aggregator in it.

Ric

rocket98
  • 2005/1/19 19:40

• rocket98

• Just popping in

Yeah ... Yeah I know, why do you have to read all the B.S. from this guy, just get to the point already.

Doing up the block style was easier that I thought. I actually stumbled across that after making a couple of changes then refreshed and saw the changes held. So it does not hurt to experiment even on production site. Seems right now xmline uses the block named below for the display of the custom blocks. And I stumbled in while playing.

What did I do?

I set up some styles on the module templates and tweaked styles in the xmline css file in the xmline/include dir too affect the display of the expanded pages. Again, images cannot be displayed in the "custom" blocks that's strictly a rss text feed. As other's have mentioned it would take quite a bit more investigation to alter the image idea. Images are in the expanded portion... that's good enough for me right now.

On the front page of servicelance the look is controlled by the block template and a simple style tweak. I'm still playing with it to display it more to my liking. I know how just have not done it yet.

But here are the changes you need to know for the blocks.

ie., this will not affect the story title only the block text.

In the XMline templates section of your web site open xmline_block_spotlight.html

Change this line

<{$item.description}>

to this

<div style="font-size:0.9em;"><{$item.description}></div>

You could do fonts in px or pt as well I used em. You can also ad padding to inset the block content so it does not hug the borders.

To remove additional vertical spacing above below item. description remove <br /> statements to shift up or down.

Quote:

I've also just installed Drupal, so would be interested in learning how to "pull" feeds from it. I've set up the aggregator in it.

In my reference to blog code like Drupal. The major difference to XOOPS and xmline module combination. The content you pull in with xmline works on the FIFO (first in first out) principal. So the content never really resides in any database on your site for future reference. You might get it indexed but that will lead to dead links on your site. However your internal "expand" url's will all be indexed but they will not work as expected since the content is ever changing.

Drupal on the other hand has it's own "built-in" aggregator and allows admin/user categorical freedom to feed the aggregated content to site visitors based on a determined taxonomy. Since Drupal also is a "blog style" storage medium it happily catalogs that information for future SE reference based on, taxonomy, that word again. For instance google would index the drupal site and all content beneath the link because it's there visible all the time, while the RSS feeds in XOOPS do not do that at all.

All that for a single line of code

Have fun!

regards,
rocket98

council
  • 2005/1/19 20:56

• council

• Not too shy to talk

Ok, I think you've pointed me in the right direction with the xmline files. I'll just edit them until I get the display that I want.

My question about Drupal, though, remains not clear. I assumed the purpose for using their aggregator was to have a local source for quick updating of feeds. I have no other interest in Drupal and assumed you didn't or you wouldn't be using Xoops.

Thus my question: exactly how do you intergrate it with Xoops? this is what I'm unclear on.

Do you somehow set xmline to fetch from Drupal?

R.

rocket98
  • 2005/1/19 22:44

• rocket98

• Just popping in

No not at all they are two different animals. I re-read what I said about Drupal and wrote in wrong context.

I should have said something like this:

Using Drupal with rss feeds is very good because it has built in aggregation. Based on that aggregation feature in Drupal it's very easy to set up a content rich site that retains the incoming data. Retention is good and produces hundreds or thousands of links in SE's to popularize your web site. As opposed to XOOPS and any combination of modules like xmline or xhld whose sole purpose is too display rss feeds for the moment they are available and no longer AFAIK.

A product called reblog which I mentioned in an earlier post is a well thought out Open Source piece that has a excellent feature set for what it is. If someone could "grab the bull by the horns" and then build something, a module, to pull reblog content into XOOPS and store it via a user defined category system... that would be great and XOOPS would be a step further ahead of other similar CMS systems.

Sorry to confuse you in my earlier posts council hope this helps clear it up a bit.

And I won't talk about other products anymore and when i can help it. I'll try to keep it to a line or two of XOOPS help. but reblog man... that's where it's at.

regards
rocket98

council
  • 2005/1/20 0:12

• council

• Not too shy to talk

Hey, wait a minute. Since there are a lot of people following this thread, I gotta let everybody know of what seems to be a site that does everything I want with a feed for you without all the stuff above.

Here's the link:

http://jade.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/feed/index.php?s=style

R.

rocket98
  • 2005/1/20 0:50

• rocket98

• Just popping in

Cool baby

Have fun!

regards,
rocket98

p.s. i did not know trying to help someone was a pissing contest

council
  • 2005/1/24 14:34

• council

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

rocket98 wrote:
Cool baby

Have fun!

regards,
rocket98

p.s. i did not know trying to help someone was a pissing contest

Huh?

Anyway, I'm having problems with the app: it doesn't load my feeds fast enough, so I'm back.

Say, rock, what template are you using?

R.

rocket98
  • 2005/1/25 6:27

• rocket98

• Just popping in

Yeah,

I was reading this thread, and realized it's not a good idea to drink and drive.

I ripped a bunch of stuff out of theme then styled it up by adjusting leftColumn, centerColumn, rightColumn then adding borders. So color can be added back to blockheaders like a normal XOOPS theme would look, etc.. I also removed centerLeft and centerRight but may put them back in. You can also easily add color to any column by adjusting the theme style, and style up the newsfeeds by adjusting /modules/xmline/includes/xmline.css

You can easily do this with any stock 3 column theme including that which ships as default with xoops.

If you want to move columns around. It's pretty evident what does what most themes are commented. Just move center column where left should be. Move left column where center was and right column remains in original position.
---------------------------
Is this your site? URL

If it is one reason it is going so slow would be your setup and how you go out and poll those RSS feeds everytime the homepage opens instead of loading feeds and hanging onto them for a few hours in a cache. Notice how fast your (headlines0) xhld page loads... it's caches for however long you want the cache to live (xhld prefs). xmline works the same way. So it you pull the feed every 4 hours it's cached and quick to appear on the screen.

On servicelance I update about 4 - 6 times per day. Some of those feeds have not changed since last week others get content added every hour or two. My site gets light traffic... the xhld modules (running 4) update when the user clicks the link in main menu that way data is fresh. Sometimes this might even take 30-40 seconds to open. xmline by the way it is setup allows users too update any feed by clicking a link whenever they like. There are about 50 feeds coming into the site now, a overall update takes about 2 minutes, but this really depends on time of day and net traffic.

Happy Reading!

Regards,
rocket98

Login

Who's Online

214 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 214

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits