xb00t
Module suggetions
  • 2005/1/19 11:22

• xb00t

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/19

First of all I didnt put this topic anywhere in the modules part of the forum b/c I think it is more of a general question.

I have been with XOOPS for almost an year now but it grew so big that I havent been able to follow its development in detail. When I visited the "Module Repository" my jaw hit the floor. There are a lot I meen. So because I do not wish to use the "try and error" method I prefer to ask you. Here is the deal - I want to make a babysitting services site that includes the following:

home page
about us
services 
(with subdirectories)
terms and conditions
contacts 
book your order
FAQ

I know some of these are general stuff (home page ) but still I would like to know you oppinion. For example I do belive that SmarFAQ is better then the oriinal FAQ that comes with xoops.

Thank you.

rowdie
Re: Module suggetions
  • 2005/1/19 11:48

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

My opinion :

Home page - a mix of custom and module blocks

Services - try the latest release of WF-Channel

Contacts / bookings - use liaise, but use the version from the developer's website It contains changes needed for it to work with the latest version of XOOPS.

FAQ - I would definitely recommend SmartFAQ. It has many more options, and it's actively being developed and supported.

For "about us" and "terms and conditions" I personally would just create separate modules for each, using the template module mypage which is outlined in the FAQ section here

xb00t
  • 2005/1/19 12:06

• xb00t

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/19

Cheers, mate, that's just what I was looking for. ;)

Herko
  • 2005/1/19 14:26

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

rowdie wrote:
My opinion :
For "about us" and "terms and conditions" I personally would just create separate modules for each, using the template module mypage which is outlined in the FAQ section here

Or, you can create these pages in wf-channel as well...

Herko

jegelstaff

Quote:

rowdie wrote:

Contacts / bookings - use liaise, but use the version from the developer's website It contains changes needed for it to work with the latest version of XOOPS.

Yes, Liase would be a good choice. If you want more than one form, Formulaire is worth considering (since Liase only gives you one form I believe).

If you want more complex form behaviours and reporting capabilities, then you should checkout Formulize, which is a module we have built on top of Formulaire. The biggest different for you may be that Liase/Formulaire only give you one form, people fill it in, and the data is e-mailed to you. People return to the form, it is blank, and they can fill it in again and send it to you, but that's all.

With Formulize, you could set things up so that when people go back to the form they would be able to see all the previous entries they have made (previous requests/bookings I suppose in your case).

Formulize would also let you setup reports on the entries users have made so you could easily see a list of all the bookings people have requested by age group, or location, or whatever other characteristics you're collecting in your booking form.

A release candidate version of Formulize has been released here:

http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1179

We believe it is a very stable release, with very few changes since the previous version which is in active use on a site with over 1000 registered users, but since this release has not been tested thoroughly we labeled it a release candidate.

It also has no docs and we feel strongly that an official release should have complete docs -- so we're getting around our own standards by making this an unoffical release.

There is a partial demo for Formulize at this site:

http://demo.freeformsolutions.ca

It's partial in the sense that you have no access to the form creation side (admin side) and you only get to play with two forms in the Form Menu. But they are two different kinds of forms (one is multiple entry which is probably closer to how you would want your bookings for setup, and one is single entry -- there are a few other options that control form behaviour too; if you want to try out the module for your site, we can answer more detailed configuration questions on the forums in the Formulize section of dev.xoops.org).

Good luck with your site,

--Julian

rowdie
  • 2005/1/19 18:11

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

My turn to hit the quote button

Quote:

jegelstaff wrote:

Yes, Liase would be a good choice. If you want more than one form, Formulaire is worth considering (since Liase only gives you one form I believe).

Liaise allows you to make an unlimited amount of forms. It doesn't save the response in the database though, it just sends it to you as an email. I suggest trying them both, see which suits your needs best

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:

Or, you can create these pages in wf-channel as well...

You could, but then they will appear as submenus...

There are plenty of other options out there, I think part of the fun is testing them out to see how well they fit your needs. My suggestions were just a starting point...

Rowd

jegelstaff

Quote:

rowdie wrote:

Liaise allows you to make an unlimited amount of forms. It doesn't save the response in the database though, it just sends it to you as an email. I suggest trying them both, see which suits your needs best

Oh, sorry. I thought the big change from Liase to Formulaire was the ability to create multiple forms, my mistake.

I would also suggest trying them both; there's really no better way to know what is best for you.

Quote:

There are plenty of other options out there, I think part of the fun is testing them out to see how well they fit your needs.

Absolutely. It's like being a kid in a candy store.

--Julian

Login

Who's Online

421 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 421

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits