WarDick
Homepage (personal editable page) for each user or user group
  • 2005/1/14 6:39

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

There has been much talk about this subject lately. I have been toying with the issue for a long time. The new modules that have been released look promising but they are a long way from being ready for prime time.

I believe I have found a working solution that is better than just OK. The wiwimod by Xavier Jimenez is an easy to use solution to user web pages.

It makes good use of the comments, privileges and viewing. The best feature is it extremely user friendly. The htmlarea editor and image manager are awesome.

If you are looking for this functionality then this is the module you are looking for.

Great job Xavier.

Wheeler
Re: Homepage (personal editable page) for each user or user group
  • 2005/1/14 7:23

• Wheeler

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/29

This is very useful information to help the development of an acceptable homepages module. I will learn by example and dig into this module, thank you. Since you have been toying with the issue for a long time, please share your other useful tips.

WarDick
  • 2005/1/14 9:09

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

@ Wheeler

Hi,

I am really glad that you are making a module specifically for this function. But I am not into reinventing the wheel for each new task. I like to take what is available and try make it fit my needs. I have experimented with the obs_classroom module and yes it does have great potential. It is unique in its abilities to create blocks. The wiwimod module does not have this feature. It is far from being perfect for this task. But it is much closer to reality than from where you are starting. This may seem cryptic but each and every module that is used is the same. They make database inquires and display them. If AMS or smartPartner had a wysiwyg editor as good as wiwimod I would probably use one of them instead. Wiwimod has a very good image manager integrated into the htmlarea editor. All of the wysiwyg editors are selectable except fckeditor. In my opinion it is the closest existing module to fit the bill.

Wiwimod could use improvements in being more search engine friendly, additional hooks and blocks but it is much better than average for giving a novice user the ability to create their own web page. It does not follow all of the conventions of a true wiki and tries to be a neat tool to create web pages on the fly.

I believe you would be more productive applying you obvious talents into improving the wiwimod module.

Lets all work together! Let Peace and Harmony Prevail.

Wheeler
  • 2005/1/14 16:22

• Wheeler

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/29

I take everything you said into great consideration, thank you for your thoughts and more knowledgable information.

This is what it has come down to...
'module like' blocks within columns vs. the ability to create a user web page. If these editors are included in a plain block would this cover the novice users? As you described to create a webpage, a full html document.

WarDick
  • 2005/1/14 20:49

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

Quote:
If these editors are included in a plain block would this cover the novice users? As you described to create a webpage, a full html document.

No I don't think so. It would give you a block on steroids.

I believe we have different ideas about how to approach the task.

Not to be a nay sayer. Please continue your great work. Choices are good.

Tovenaar
  • 2005/1/14 23:52

• Tovenaar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/6 8

What a nice coincedence, I also stummbled on the wiwimod tonight and I just love it ... although using it for a different purpose. Definitely a recommendation!

you can find version 0.7 on his homepage

WarDick
  • 2005/1/16 13:14

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

Version 8 is now looking for testers on the authors site. The imagemanger has been changed from version 7. But the new features are very nice.

Xavier
  • 2005/1/19 22:26

• Xavier

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/12

Wiwi 0.8 users can still use the same image manager with HTMLArea editor ; just download the "hacked" htmlarea class from here , till the dev.xoops.org htmlarea project delivers its first stable editors framework.

Xavier

WarDick
  • 2005/1/22 17:46

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

I just discovered that you can easily use myAlbum-p by GIJoe as the image manager. Forget the rest.

Login

Who's Online

230 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 230

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits