davidl2
Re: Lost a customer
  • 2005/1/17 22:38

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

Rhomal wrote:
Let's be honest, a fair amount of posts go by that never get a reply or the person gets help.

The latest messages is the problem here... the XOOPS site has a lot more than 10 messages going by throughtout the day, and frankly, I would imagine that many people dont get chance to look for other unread messages.

It may be worth increasing this to even 20 messages - to see what difference this may make to the common complaint of things getting missed.

Just a thought.... ignore or not

Chainsaw
  • 2005/1/17 22:56

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/9/28

I'm not trying to be mean but if he can't even post a second "Anyone???" reply to see in case his message was missed then maybe its better for him to get a commercially supported CMS.

I remember having some problems when I started using XOOPS. But I was patient enough to wait for a reply and was also frequently using the search functions (in those days there weren't any FAQs to refer to so imagine how hard it was then LOL ).

Anyway, I've helped numerous others with their installation problems, usually if they trust me with their CPANEL and FTP password. No money changed hands, just a willing helper as long as you ask nicely and have a realistic expectation (remember - most of us are volunteers and have full time job and/or family).

Mambo is another good CMS. Hope you have better luck there.

brash
  • 2005/1/17 23:18

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Very well put Chainsaw

Here are some useless stats for you ;

- Going from the very beginning there have been 17,682 topics posted, of which 3420 have not had replies. That is equal to around 19.34% of topics that have not been replied to.

- In the last 100 days there have been 4960 topics, of which 1045 have not been replied to. This equals to about 21.06% of topics are unanswered.

- In the last 30 days there have been 1705 topics, of which 326 have not been replied to. THis equals to about 19.12% of topics are unanwsered.

This however does not take into account that some topics are announcements, locked, or are just comments not requiring/requesting replies. Still, 20% is a bit too high, so perhaps a suggestion such as davidl2 put forward of increasing the number of topics shown in the recent topics block might be a good idea.

Chainsaw
  • 2005/1/17 23:34

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/9/28

I totally agree - 10 recent forum posts for so many forum categories are quite low. Alternately - have a 'all unread post' link at the bottom of the 'Recent Post' block.

brash
  • 2005/1/17 23:40

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

There is a view all unread topics option when viewing the forum index page, how do you think I got my stats

m0nty
  • 2005/1/17 23:45

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

maybe yeah but even 20 topics will suffer the same probs as there are so many posts.. and a lot of repeated questions.. so users who post a question thats been asked many times before are usually left till last simply because if they bothered to read thru the forums or use the search function they could find their answers.. to be honest i can't fault any developers for adopting that policy to an extent..

but i can understand newbies frustrations at times, but there are pinned topics that say 'before posting read this' most don't even read those and if they do they still ask a question thats been asked many times and fail to provide any other info relating to their problems..

us seasoned and regular members on this forum know XOOPS better than most and if we have an important question then we know the best time to actually post it as we know the timezones better and the times that the devs etc are likely to be online.. with it being so international some questions do get answered quicker at certain times of day than others..

shaxs
  • 2005/1/17 23:59

• shaxs

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/6/1 2

Well, my first comment is:

Customer? Did you pay XOOPS or any users here anything? I bet no. So, you are a user, dare I say leech, that is using a FREE program that is amazing and has FREE support when , YOU, put some effort in. Infact, XOOPS is farely easy to setup and if you know half of what your doing, you should have no problems.

May I make a suggestion to you. Quite while you are ahead. Don't bother doing web pages or using any CMS (thats content management system--- didn't want you to get offended for me using acronyms). If this is the type of patience you show and the kind of respect you give to people giving FREELY (like how it all comes back to free?) of their time, then you will not be accepted in any community. I for one am grateful for all the help I have gotten.

So, my conclusion: I'm glad he walked. Less annoyance for later on.

brash
  • 2005/1/18 0:00

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

I don't think having pinned topics is obvious enough for new members. I think a custom block such as the 'XOOPSer of the Year Contest 2004' with forum guidlines would be a better place. A pinned topic can be easily missed as you have to go into that topic to read it. It would be a great deal harder to miss a custom block right infront of your face.

shaxs
  • 2005/1/18 0:03

• shaxs

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/6/1 2

Or we can make them take a test before posting!

*chuckles*

Thats actual a brilliant idea :P

Lance_
  • 2005/1/18 0:22

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

The main thing I would put in gigantic block on the front page is BLANK PAGE CLICK HERE!!! Seems there have been 1 blank page question a day for the past couple of weeks.

I'm with Rhomal for the question thing though, I've had many a questions unanswered, even with the customary ::bump:: during the day trying to hit all shifts. I try to think of my questions as maybe hard ones when I do finally ask them, but to see someone else ask the same question and getting an answer, or seeing the result I was looking for on one of the developers site hurts a bit.

Cheers

Login

Who's Online

278 user(s) are online (168 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 278

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits