piclauma
Groups hierarchy
  • 2005/1/17 0:24

• piclauma

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/16

Hello there,

I decided to migrate my website to XOOPS. But I have a need, and I don't know if it's possible with this CMS.

It will be usefull for me if groups could be created with inheritance.
If fact, if groups could contain other groups. I didn't find the feature in XOOPS, but if a module or a hack could do that, it will be great.

Does someone know how to do that?

Thanks a lot

Pierre

piclauma
Re: Groups hierarchy
  • 2005/1/17 10:44

• piclauma

• Just popping in

Nobody knows if it's possible??

Pierre

LazyBadger

Impossible currently
Groups rights are additive, not interitabable.
But I caan't see big problem here.
All users are members of "Registered Users" group
You have to create additional group only with extended rights, you can doesn't duplicate "Users" group rights.
After it add users to these groups, but not exclude from "Registtered users". Instead of "one member - one (deply inherited) group" paradigm (sometimes more clean and easy to hangle) you'll use "one user - many group" idea.
At least it works for me at modules.xoops.ru rather smooth

jdseymour

Any group that you create will have the permissions of the registered user group if that user is still listed as part of that group. The created group can be used to add permissions over and above what the default registered user group has. So the user in that group will inherit the permissions from the registered user group, and gain permissions assigned through the newly created group.

Woah, it's still early. Hope that is correct and what you were asking. Also hope it makes sense.

piclauma
  • 2005/1/17 16:33

• piclauma

• Just popping in

Quote:
Impossible currently
Groups rights are additive, not interitabable.
But I caan't see big problem here.
All users are members of "Registered Users" group
You have to create additional group only with extended rights, you can doesn't duplicate "Users" group rights.
After it add users to these groups, but not exclude from "Registtered users". Instead of "one member - one (deply inherited) group" paradigm (sometimes more clean and easy to hangle) you'll use "one user - many group" idea.
At least it works for me at modules.xoops.ru rather smooth

Thanks for the answer.
Sorry, i didn't understand all your post. But the principal response is that is impossible.
For me, it will be really usefull to have inheritance than to add many groups to users...

piclauma
  • 2005/1/17 16:44

• piclauma

• Just popping in

Quote:

jdseymour wrote:
Any group that you create will have the permissions of the registered user group if that user is still listed as part of that group. The created group can be used to add permissions over and above what the default registered user group has. So the user in that group will inherit the permissions from the registered user group, and gain permissions assigned through the newly created group.

Woah, it's still early. Hope that is correct and what you were asking. Also hope it makes sense.

Thanks, i need more level of inheritance.

For example:
I have 5 groups of players: playersDoom, playersHalfLife, playersHalo, playersAgeOfEmpire and playersEmpireEarth.
I would to create 2 parents groups : playersFPS and playersSTR.
And to construct hierarchie like that:
playersDoom, playersHalfLife, playersHalo inherit properties from playersFPS
playersAgeOfEmpire, playersEmpireEarth inherit properties from playersSTR

It's an other point of view to attribute properties, it uses groups like objects. And I find this more intuitive...

I will probably need to hack the XOOPS core to have this feature.

jegelstaff

This would be a very handy feature; my company has looked at adding it too. We don't have an urgent need at the moment though. We have spec'd out a UI addition that would let you manage permissions on multiple groups at once, which would help deal with lots of non-hierarchical groups better. You can read that spec here (attached to this sourceforge posting):

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1017424&group_id=41586&atid=430843

As far as groups inheriting settings from other groups, the easiest way I have thought of for doing this would simply be to allow groups to have other groups as well as users as members. This would essentially eliminate the need to make people members of lots and lots of groups, you would only make people members of playersHalfLife, playersDOOM, etc, and then those groups themselves would be members of playersFPS, and so all the permissions attached to playersFPS would apply to the users who are members of playersHalfLife and playersDOOM without you having to manage complicated membership settings of multiple users in multiple groups.

In order to make that happen, you would have to modify a lot of the core libraries to do with checking permissions and group membership. It would be a complicated change, for sure.

No matter how you set about to change this, it would be complicated.

--Julian

Login

Who's Online

137 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 137

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits