Tovenaar
Which review/section module?
  • 2005/1/14 19:35

• Tovenaar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/6 8

I'm in need of a review module (again) for several of my sites powered by Xoops, but I haven't found a feasable solution yet.

"What kind of reviews?" PC hardware kind. Multiple pages, , lots of pictures, print previews, user can submit reviews as well.

What I've tried over the past 1.5 years.
- using "news" module for reviews ... nice and clean, but well kinda limited
- wfsection 1.0 ... awesome if you import html files, for text? well kinda buggy
- xfsection! very nice improvements over wfsection ... but not uppercompatible with new wfsection.

I've read that wfsection 2.x has a lot of overhead, but is it still the best solution? And what's the most stable one? 2.01, 2.05a or perhaps 2.07 beta1 (with incoming beta2?)

I got very addicted to SmartFAQ recently (using it on all my sites) ... and then read about SmartSection. Looks nice, but what are the differences with wfsection?

In other words ... what's the most mature review/section with the most and stable options?
Any other comments/tips are welcome as well.

Tovenaar
Re: Which review/section module?
  • 2005/1/14 19:43

• Tovenaar

• Just popping in

oh ... and in addition ... is there anyway I can reuse newbb2's Karma system for comments to my articles? I know .. it's asking a bit too much. But just wondering if I can make it happen. Or have something like auto generated (by hand is no prob as well but a bit enoying) "discuss in forums" at the bottom of every article.

LazyBadger

Just as idea and suggestion - you can try any wanted module at modules.xoops2.ru (and give module's admin's right for deep exploration).
I hate (sometimes) to think about last WF-section, but - can it too to presented now
- AMS
- MyReviews
- SmartSections

Tovenaar
  • 2005/1/14 19:58

• Tovenaar

• Just popping in

hmm nice site (didn't know of it's existenz), except that my Russian sucks and I'm missing backend access to really start experimenting

Hope to receive more comments, not only alternatives, but also (dis)advantages of the present review managers.
I'm looking for something distinctly different then 'just' a sample article or howto module. Something with lots of user interaction. Perhaps I'm already answering my own questions? And is WFsection the only solution? But what's the most stable version?

LazyBadger

Quote:

Tovenaar wrote:
hmm nice site (didn't know of it's existenz), except that my Russian sucks and I'm missing backend access to really start experimenting

1. I can add you needed privileges (after registration, sure). For admin acces you have to use last link in User Menu (backend also partially russian, but I hope, you'll can work with icons)... Most modules still untranslated and (I think) - usable not only for russian-speaking foundry

LazyBadger

Quote:

I'm looking for something distinctly different then 'just' a sample article or howto module. Something with lots of user interaction.

I think about MyReviews from such POV.
I can add for you WF-Section 2.07 for testing

modkid
  • 2005/1/16 0:08

• modkid

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/23

was wfsection 2.0, wasn't the beta consuming quite alot when installed?

brash
  • 2005/1/16 0:40

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Yes WF-Section 2.07 beta does consume quite a bit of resources if you have a lot of content and/or a busy site. The key word there though is Beta, as in not yet marked by the developers as suitable for use in a production environment. I know the guys at wf-project are working hard on this though, so in time this will not be an issue.

Tovenaar
  • 2005/1/25 1:19

• Tovenaar

• Just popping in

decided to use WF-Section 2.01 + some hacks after all. Took quite some work to make it work, but there is no better solution till date.

brash
  • 2005/1/25 1:29

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hi Tovenaar,

You might want to consider just holding off a bit until AMS 2.4 is released. The view by topic view has been totally revamped to give it a much better layout. The changes that were made were done so to cater for almost exactly the requirements you have.

Login

Who's Online

198 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 198

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits