rabideau
XOOPS 2.0.7.x to 2.0.9.2 disasters
  • 2005/1/10 19:19

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

Beware!

This upgrade is a disaster. Do not USE IT. It causes too many site failures (I lost my site this am...). This is the first time XOOPS has caused me this type of problem.

I'll do a restore and await the next release of Xoops.

Read the comments on this site for more insight into the upgrade difficulties.

Upgrade Comments

ackbarr
Re: XOOPS 2.0.7.x to 2.0.9.2 disasters

I appreciate that you are frustrated, but simply waiting for the next release will probably mean that the problem will not be addressed, since the developers will not know where to look.

To help troubleshoot the problem, can you explain the environment that your site was using, Web Server + version, version of PHP, mysql, etc. Also, what modules was your site using? Using any hacks / modifications to the core software?

irmtfan
  • 2005/1/10 20:31

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

rabideau ,
i see your profile and you dont have any post about your upgrade problem other than complains. if you dont explain your problem how we can help you?
this site is powered by you so if you dont send your problems developers cant solve that
personally, i upgrade from XOOPS 2.0.7.x to 2.0.9.2 without any problem like too many other people so if you have a problem maybe its your fault about something. but what is that? who knows?

Anonymous
  • 2005/1/10 23:28

• Anonymous

• Since:

Fear not I am in the same situation.

Reading the news release that 2.0.9 was final and recommended I carefully proceeded with the upgrade patch 2.0.x to 2.0.9 final.. I started with my development site and everything worked fine. This is in a subdirectory. However when I installed the patch on my root installation, I got blank page errors with no debug possible. Finally I managed to get this information.

Fatal error: _parse_resource_name(): Failed opening required '/home/mysite/public_html/class/smarty/core/core.load_resource_plugin.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/mysite/public_html/class/smarty/Smarty.class.php on line 1651
Warning [PHP]: _parse_resource_name(/home/mysite/public_html/class/smarty/core/core.load_resource_plugin.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in file class/smarty/Smarty.class.php line 1651

To recover I reinstalled 2.0.7.3 using my existing database. My site is now functional no data has been lost.

However the custom templates do not work. They can not be regenerated. If one is deleted it will not regenerate. They can not be cloned, If you have custom templates the ones that are not in need of update will work. If one is deleted it will not update but will revert back to default template. When the regenerate button is pressed you get a blank page. No debug outputs.

I believe it may be an url error. I have not found it yet. Someone will.

rabideau
  • 2005/1/12 13:22

• rabideau

• Home away from home

Yes, my error is, most likely, with custom templates also.

The major issue I have with the update is that there was no warning that this type of disaster might happen. There were in fact very few instructions at all. So, I wrongly assumed that things would go normally. Which they didn't.

Before I perform a new build or upgrade, I will simply have to run my own local tests and debugs rather than rely on a XOOPS update to work. I probably should have done that anyway, but in the past it had never been an issue, at least not for me.

As for providing an error message to the XOOPS team, who are always responsive, I couldn't. My site was totally destroyed. By the time I recovered my site, my ISP had spent 5 hours getting through all their rig-a-ma-roll to perform a recovery of one of their servers-- there was no other way for them to get my site back.

All in all it was very ugly and painful.

I'll stick with XOOPS anyway. I'll just have to rely on my testing before venturing into a new version. And since I have to do that, I'll update less frequently and with much greater deliberation.

Lesson learned...

Mithrandir

Quote:
The major issue I have with the update is that there was no warning that this type of disaster might happen.

WHAT type of disaster? You cannot say anything about what is causing it, how can we warn against it?

We test things as much as we can, but there are limits to how much we can test and therefore unexpected things may happen. I did not experience problems with the 2.0.9 series by just applying the update and update the system module - when that is what I find is the instructions that are needed, how can I give more information than that?

Having an installation for testing upgrades, hacks and modules is what everyone should have - at least if they want to blame us for their site messing up.

rabideau
  • 2005/1/12 20:41

• rabideau

• Home away from home

Just a couple of items...

1. I am not mad or even thinking about leaving xoops. I was however very unpleasantly surprised by my experience with the latest upgrade.
2. I am trying to figure out the problem. I can't give anyone any errors yet because the failure was complete and catastrophic-- akin to the old MS Blue Screens of Death. As soon as I have something tangible, I'll provide more insight.
3. I am trying to create a fail-safe install process for Xoops. I will post what I come up with, assuming I can come up with something.

In the meantime, given the problems I have had with the upgrade plus those others have expressed in the comments on the upgrade page, I recommend people be cautious (I personally recommend holding off on the upgrade until this situation can be explained).

Trust me, I understand the concept of open software, I appreciate all the help everyone has provided me through the years, I have 9 XOOPS sites running today with more coming on line. I am invested in this community. Believe me when I say that there is no anger in my warning... it is simply an alert. People may choose to ignore it or not. I have done my duty to alert folks, and will provide more information as I uncover it.

I hope this helps. It is intended too....

toolsmythe
  • 2005/1/13 6:13

• toolsmythe

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/27

I downloaded the 2.0.7 to 2.0.9.2 upgrade yesterday and was starting to look into installing it.

I stopped when I saw that there was a new mainfile.dist.php and in compairing the two, there are differences. I assume that means I will need to merge these differences into my mainfile.php?

I downloded the zip version; there were no install instructions whatsoever, at least none that I found.

Pardon the dumb questions; I'm new to XOOPS and this will be my first upgrade.

Reading this thread has, naturally, frightened me.

I copied my site last night and am planning on taking a full DB backup before upgrading; is there anything else I need to consider?

JP

brash
  • 2005/1/13 6:58

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

That a boy rabideau, way to go and spread doubt into the minds of new comers with no good reason. To put it in perspective out of around 3540 downloads of the 2.0.9.2 upgrade packages from xoops.org, plus another 3020 odd from the sourceforge repositories (total of around 6560 downloads), there have been around a dozen or so users reporting problems. As a user with problems to download ratio that represents about 0.2% of the total downloads. Even at 10 times that it is still only 2%.

I can understand the frustration, but next time think about the consequences of what you post. I have personally upgraded 4 test sites from 2.0.7.3 to 2.0.9.2 without an issue. Not saying you problems aren't real, just saying that upgrading isn't a no go zone as your first post in this thread, and you post in the comments section suggest.

Anonymous
  • 2005/1/13 7:59

• Anonymous

• Since:

Unfortunately 2.0.7.3 to 2.0.9.2 really caused some annoying bugs on my site. Not mentioning the duplicated blocks, but there is something wrong with the templates.

I am literally NOT able to change a single template, the changes do not show up although the changes were inside the template. I was in a urgent need to make some changes so I tried this:

1. Changed the specific template locally (one of the system templates - system_imagemanager.html)
2. Uploaded the template with FTP
3. Updated the system module

Then the changes were applied and were visible in the default-templateset.

It seems to be that the system only takes the layout-information from the default-templateset not from my working-template-set and I don't have a single clue of how to prevent this.

So I raised the percentage of people doing the upgrade and failing.

Login

Who's Online

185 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 185

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits