blackhawk1
users online block refresh rate ??
  • 2005/1/4 23:56

• blackhawk1

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/29

Hi Guys,

Before I start, I am certain that one day I will be able to feed all this advise bck to other and new xoopsters.
But for now I still have a lot to learn.

I am wanting to know about the refresh rate of the users online block. It would appear that as default it refreshes at an incredibly slow rate. I do not have no caching turned on for any of my modules. If possible I would like to increase the refresh rate so that the data shown is more accurate more quickly. Also I found that when I visit my site and log in, it shows me twice, once as the member and then again as guest. If I am logged into aol at the same time I show 3 times. And just to answer your first question on this matter, I only ever have 1 window open with my site in.

Thanks in advance.

All the best Tom.

brash
Re: users online block refresh rate ??
  • 2005/1/5 0:01

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

There is a hack somewhere on the forums to increase the update frequency, however I suspect this is well and trully out of date by now. I would probably recommend using the membros online block (from the Brazillian XOOPS site) or the membership module (from the Malaysian XOOPS site).

blackhawk1
  • 2005/1/5 0:07

• blackhawk1

• Just popping in

Hey,

Cheers for the quick reply. I will go have a look at these modules and see what happens.
Ps are there any manuals available about creating your own blocks for certain purposes (although I fear that this would require the use of modules in order to make the blocks work)

All the best Tom.

brash
  • 2005/1/5 0:17

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Define 'certain purposes'? If you mean just adding static content to blocks, then yes that is very easy and should be covered in the FAQ's. If you mean containing logic in a block where the contents might change depending on certain contitions, then that is a bit tricker, and is much harder to create a guide for as it will be different for each bit of logic you wish to include.

Perhaps if you explain what you are wanting, then I can try and point you in the right direction.

Rhomal
  • 2005/1/5 2:01

• Rhomal

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

FYI - membership module from the Malaysian XOOPS site is bugged. It reports ALL visitors as 'members' even if some of them are not logged in. Thus it does not seperate members and guests.

Aside from that the module works quite well. :)

blackhawk1
  • 2005/1/6 8:59

• blackhawk1

• Just popping in

Hey,

Sorry for taking so long in sending a reply.
Right I have had to have a good look round (as you wanted me to outline exactly what I wanted in a block) and have found what I was looking for.
There is currently a module available for XOOPS called 'Service Status' which is a manually controlled module so that you can tell the user if something is fine, being maintained, or out of order.
I have a similar idea but as apposed to it being manually controlled it is fully automated. Also as apposed to it being based on areas of your site it is more aimed at obtaining the service level of certain system processes and other servers from around the world.
For example:
Service HTTP on my site = green (automatic due to info retrieval)
Service http on XOOPS servers = green (automatic by means of a very simple pinging protocal)

This can also be done with a list of other things such as MySql database systems, SMTP, POP3, ftp etc etc the list is endless as long as you have the correct port to assign it to.
Now I know what your going to say,lol, what I am wanting to do will involve a load of scripting and may take some time to get right. Yes I will agree, but just to make things a little easier I have got a working script already. The script currently is 1 simple php file and all that it requires is that a simply html code is placed within the page you are wishing to show the desired status bar.
Is there anyone (that is able to create modules) that is willing and possibly up for a challenge, in helping me create something that will plug into XOOPS as apposed to being a stand alone php file ?
If so then please drop me a reply and I will outline what my hopes are (functionalities).

All the best Tom.

Login

Who's Online

162 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 162

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits