JamesA
Xoops not sending mails
  • 2004/12/8 11:35

• JamesA

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/8

Hi all,
Ive just installed XOOPS and all seems to be working well exept it doesnt seem to be able to send any mail. Not user account ones of by using the mail users option. I see no errors when i try and send mail or register a new user (unless theres a log file somewhere) but no mail ever arrives.

I have tried with the default PHP mail setting and with the sendmail setting and got nothing. My server is running xmail rather than sendmail if that makes any odds. Is there anything i can check to make sure my system has everything XOOPS needs to be able to send mail? I dont know what this PHP mail thing is, is there some way PHPinfo can tell me if i have this?

Cheers,
James

JamesA
Re: Xoops not sending mails
  • 2004/12/13 12:14

• JamesA

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/8

Is there no one who can shed any light? Ive been playing with it still and still it doesnt work.

I really want to use this for my web site, but if i cant fix the mail problem then im going elsewhere.

JMorris
  • 2004/12/13 12:21

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Are you running your own server or is the server your site hosted on through a company?
What OS does the server run (Linux/Windows)?
Have you tried using an SMTP server?

eric235u
  • 2004/12/31 13:22

• eric235u

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/19

Yes for anybody to help you, you'll need to give up some info on where you're running xoops.

FWIW I'm also having problems with the mail. The default worked and I must have changed something, cause now it doesn't. I'm hosting this site on my home computer, Fedora Core 3 / Apache / Sendmail, sitting behind a Smoothwall box. I get this error,

"<<< 550 [PERMFAIL] comcast.net requires valid sender domain
550 5.1.1 <235u@comcast.net>... User unknown" in my
apache@localhost.localdomain email. So why is comcast (ISP) kicking this back to me? I'm guessing I need to change the from address because they're doing a reverse-DNS-lookup or something? I don't even know what that last sentence means it just fell out of my mouth. I'm currently googling. Any hints or links for a guy who's new at email servers?

JamesA, if you're not hosting this yourself I doubt you're having the same issue as myself. Get some info and maybe we can solve this...

eric235u
  • 2004/12/31 13:36

• eric235u

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/19

Quick update on my mail situation, instead of wrestling with Sendmail some more I just used SMTPAuth, the server address of my ISP (smtp.comcast.net) with my user name and password and all is working. I'm not sure if it was comcast fighting spam or misconfig on my end but screw it, it's working now. Any headway on your end?

Login

Who's Online

184 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 184

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits