brash
Re: Can we run a theme contest?
  • 2004/12/9 21:42

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Quote:

studioC wrote:
i hope, we can find a solution which will satisfy both sides of positions which on the one hand want to have a community event and on the other hand, what herko stated, a winning theme to be distributed with every XOOPS install. Sure there are different standards and i can share (and argue) both positions depending on the aim we want to reach.

Hey studioC

For me the confusion here was Jason and I were talking about different events with the same general topic of creating themes. The trick here was to first cleary understand what the event was about before discussing how we were going to run it, which was probably due to me not reading the thread thouroughly enough anyway.

Now that I'm on the same page as Jason, I tend to agree with him. If we are wanting the winner of this contest to be included as the default theme for Xoops, then I really think this particular event should be more about attracting the best of the best, rather than a full blown community event. Obviously all community members would be still welcome and encouraged to participate, but they would need to be mindful that their work is going to be graded up against the best with no consessions because they are a XOOPS community member.

Quote:

sorry to hear that you do not want to see a layout of mine but i did not intend to take part as a subscriber in a contest. As i have stated in an earlier post i'm happy to help and i will be proud to take part as a "judge". (if there is nothing against this..)

If you only want to participate as a judge, then thats fine and I don't think we could find a better CSS guru from our own community ranks for the job . Must admit though I'm a little dissapointed that there will be no entry from you, I think a lot of people (including me) hold your work in very high regard and would love to see your mastery of design skills in action.

Quote:

Perhaps we can have 2 events (or event one with different categories for i do not think that there will be too much input which could not be handled)

but ...
LETS HAVE AN EVENT !!

I think we really have 2 events here as well. A best of the best competition is a lot different from hosting event where all skill levels are encouraged to participate. I suppose this is why I suggested the Pro and Beginner categories a few posts back. Either way, the silly season is fast approaching so we better get ourselves together to agree on;

- What the event is, i.e. professionals only or an everyone in community style event.

- Advertsing. How are we going to spread the word on this, especially coming into the holiday season?

- Submission method, rules & conditions. Do we have application forms, or do we just let people submit at their will? Also must clearly define rules and conditions of submission entries.

- Judging criteria and method. Plus who is to judge?

- Prizes. For a professionals only event I think decent cash prizes are almost a must. If it is to be community driven then I don't think cash prizes should be on the cards.

- any other items?

brash
  • 2004/12/9 21:55

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Quote:

Draven wrote:
Well, like others I've not read through the 9 pages or so... just the last one.

I'm sure someone already suggested this, but why not have different levels in the contest? Something that allows a level of entry for everyone, and each with thier own reward?

Not to sound concieded, but I would not enter a theme contest where everyone was judge on the same level as I have a very unfair advantage over many others (Being both a program and designer that has worked with XOOPS for 2.5 years). However, if there was an "Expert" (for lack of a better name) category that had very restrictive requirements (compliance to web standards) I would enter, but not unless there were other categories for others to enjoy.

Although I do not have any exact suggestions on what those categories may be, I believe we could accomidate most with a few different levels, each being EQUAL in their reward, just different levels of restrictions.

At judging we could also evelaute them and bump an entry up a class if it's clearly to "advanced" for the category it was submitted too (just to be fair to others).

Anyway, that's my $0.02, take it for what it's worth.

Pretty much the same as I was thinking here Draven. I suggested a "pro" and "beginner" level of submission, with the submitter to decide which class they would compete in. With beginner level entries that are considered too good to be bumped up to the pro class.

However, I think the pro class should be run a lot differently to the beginner class and should attract a significant cash reward (I was thinking $500) in a winner takes all format if we are wanting to be able to attract talent outside of the XOOPS community. I think a beginner class should have encouragement level cash rewards ($50 tops), but at this level I am not entirely comfortable with cash prizes at all as I think it may cloud the motives of why you would be submitting a theme at this level in the first place (that is to learn & have a bit of fun).

sbkiller
  • 2004/12/23 17:38

• sbkiller

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/9 2

Run some test on the new registration people to see which they can qualify...lol

new_bie
  • 2005/7/14 20:11

• new_bie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/29

where are the themes to look at? I want to vote..

JMorris
  • 2005/7/14 21:03

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:
Posted on: 2004/12/23

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the contest got back burnered for now. I hope I'm wrong. I was really looking forward to seeing the best of what the community had to offer.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

alitan
Re:Can we run a theme contest?
  • 2005/10/29 23:19

• alitan

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/14

<Edited>Wrong date! Sorry!
To the admins: PLease remove the Theme Contest sticky topic! It is too old and since there is no contest there is no reason for it to be there!
</Edited>
My Persian Xoops Project:
http://www.MPXP.org

Shine
  • 2006/1/2 15:33

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

One year has passed..........Theme design contest. Great ideas......No Action what-so-ever.
I am no designer, but I'd thought bump this little thingy up after all the commotion(s) around the new logo.

Now,.........go for it and realize what THIS discussion was met for. Start the theming job!

Grtz., Shine

Marco
  • 2006/1/2 17:37

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

Do synergy or die.

incama
  • 2006/1/2 19:41

• incama

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/10/24

Man,.I do love archives:)
Webdesign
Sitting Ducks?!
I hate politics, give me a stylie instead...

damaster
  • 2006/1/2 21:46

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

Hi Incama,

I love archives too. And playing with XOOPS Theme Forge i've seen your contribution. Would you be annoyed by XTF publication?

Regards
I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

Login

Who's Online

138 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 138

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits