mikecarlin
Installation fails silently
  • 2004/12/16 11:27

• mikecarlin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/16

I have a brand new installation of Linux on which I'm trying to install XOOPS.

The installation gets as far as "confirm database settings". If you then click on 'next', you are presented with a blank /install/index.php page.

mainfile.php has been written with the correct DB_ values; including the same user/pass that I used to manually create the database from the MySQL command line tool.

Do you have PHP? Version 4.3.8.
Do you have SQL? Version 3.23.58.
Apache/ISS/Other? Version Apache 2.0.5.
Xoops? Version 2.0.7.3.
Do you have a DB, with correct name and pass - Yes, see above.
Register Globals, on/off? OFF
Xoops URL? http://zoops.mvm.net
Xoops Path? /var/www/html
Can you see install.php? Yes
Can you see index.php? Yes
Can you loging? PHP logging, yes, (E_ALL), but no errors are displayed.

Any ideas?

Mike

smdcom
Re: Installation fails silently

use XOOPS FAQ and find "blank pages". hope you'll find the solution from there.

mikecarlin
  • 2004/12/16 13:55

• mikecarlin

• Just popping in

I've been through the FAQ about blank pages and nothing seems to apply in this case. This is not a "blank pages after install" problem - i.e. blank /index.php - but a blank /install/index.php. The installation procedure seems to have problems actually accessing the database and creating all the tables. I've been through the installation procedure on a [shudder] Windows/IIS machine and, apart from some Windows access problems, installed without any problem.

Unfortunately, the cost and security of Windoze being what it is, I'd prefer XOOPS to be operating under Linux.

Obviously the installation of PHP is fine, as I can run through the installation procedure up to the point of failure. MySQL seems to be installed cirrectly as I can use the command line utilities mysqladmin, mysql, mysqlshow, etc.

The XOOPS installation procedure just doesn't report errors. Most fustrating

ackbarr

create a new page 'phpinfo.php' in your web root directory and place the following code in it:
phpinfo();
?>

Now - access this script though your web browser: http:///phpinfo.php

Check to see if the words "-with-mysql" appear in the "Configure Command" section or if there is a table with the heading "MySQL" listed. If not you need to add MySQL support to PHP. If you installed PHP through an RPM, there should be an additional package to add MySQL support (usually called php-mysql or something like that). If you compiled from source make sure that your configure line includes:
Quote:

-with-mysql

Additional Reference:
PHP Manual: Install PHP on Apache 2.0 on Unix systems
PHP Manual: MySQL Functions

mikecarlin
  • 2004/12/16 15:59

• mikecarlin

• Just popping in

Thanks ackbarr.

phpinfo() reports '--with-mysql=shared,/usr'

There's not a table headed "MySQL" but there is a table headed "dbx" which lists MySQL as a 'supported database'. I think PHP and mySQL are installed by default on Linux.

Would there be any mileage, given the info above, of reinstalling PHP and mySQL from RPM packages directly from the corresponding websites?

chrisc
  • 2004/12/22 8:43

• chrisc

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/15

Had exactly the same problem, created a brand new linux setup with Redhat 9 found XOOPS was giving a blank page after confirm db settings.
In desperation installed the latest version of zend optimiser and all worked! See:

http://www.zend.com/store/products/zend-optimizer.php

Hope this helps.

Login

Who's Online

294 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 294

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits