Sykoii
Download Module - mirrors
  • 2004/12/18 5:20

• Sykoii

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/18

First off, I'd like to say my previous thought that all 'pre-made site engines'*, were for the lazy - was unfounded and I've since changed my views (Still won't accept the Nukes (PHP/Post), though)

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I thought I'd get into the real reason why I'm posting here: I obviously run a site; and on this site, I (will) have several files; a lot of these files (will be) over 50mb, and I can't afford to have thousands of people downloading them from me or just one mirror.

So, I found some mirrors; about three so far, with more on the way... The only problem is, the current method for listing these mirrors is very confusing to the users who look through the download list (http://www.tatsumaki-online.com/modules/wmpdownloads/).

So I'm here asking all of you: Is there a module, or hack - that allows me to list several mirrors (Up to 10, preferbly), in one file listing? Maybe a 'stress' trigger, that will disallow that mirror until 'x' number of people have downloaded from the other mirrors?

I.e.:
------------------------------------------
- File name: Blah -
- Mirror 1: 5% -
- Mirror 2: 100% (Disabled) -
- Mirror 3: 0% (In gold - Use this)-
- So on and so forth -
------------------------------------------
(The above will obviously contain the description, size, version, date posted, screen, downloads (For each mirror, and total at bottom), and so on)

I'm more than capable of creating or modifying the current, but I wanted to make sure none already existed - its a daunting task to take on another's coding style, in a completely foreign setup (Xoops) and modify it to do something like this (I've gotten the design down, the only semi-difficult part will be the 'stress' monitor - which would require a separate table)

------------

Well, thanks to anyone who can help - about to start advertising, and would rather not have 50% of the users think we only offer torrents, or only offer direct downloads

*The 'pre-made site engine' comment, was brought on by the fact that for the past two years, I've built my own engines from the ground up - all of them took over 50 hours to get perfect, but they were made especially for what I needed - so it was worth it.

After 30+ hours of working with Xoops, to make it perfect - I've decided to change my views; partially because its just a bare bones system, that you can fill out how you want ;) (And because template systems aren't exactly easy to make - Xoop’s template system is amazing, powerful, and simple - My template system was buggy, and didn’t use cache )

Sykoii
Re: Download Module - mirrors
  • 2004/12/19 21:00

• Sykoii

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/18

Hate to do this but - Bump

LazyBadger
Re: Download Module - mirrors

I think, most of Xoopsers haven't such type of problem - downloads eats small part of bandwidth and sever's load... or, as it done for http://www.xoops.org, use third-party systems with pre-made mirrors (SF, for example).
Your addon can be useful, I think, but in form of "full automated load-balancing", which, from my POV, can be reached such way
- work of ...downloads, which used slightly modified data-structure and add (at least) one additional table "Mirrors list", from which you select on each request next mirror (or impement some type of weightened selection policy)
- final download link will give additional parameter "active mirror", which can identify source of download and you have only handle this parameter and touch nothing more

Just dirty idea

Login

Who's Online

537 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 537

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits