mrskippy
News on top page
  • 2004/12/19 4:05

• mrskippy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/15

OK, check my site again (www.mcclimans.us) and you'll notice below the two center blocks, that I have a link to a news story on my site.

My question is: Is there a way to just have the latest top news stories appear in the middle blocks like that (For example: I want the reality TV story to appear on the front page)?

I'm really starting to get into XOOPS and trying to find the rights modules to do what I want (like wrap XOOPS around a CGI/PHP auction script I have; around a chat script I have; etc.).

jdseymour
Re: News on top page

The Spotlite module will do this, either the older original one or the newer modified version featured in the top news story on XOOPS mainpage.

mrskippy
  • 2004/12/19 5:31

• mrskippy

• Just popping in

I like it. I like it. :)

A few questions about this module:

-- How can I display multiple news stories in the block?
-- How can I get rid of the displayed graphic and use a picture to go with the article?
-- How can I list the other news stories, without showing them? Only one other story is showing, but there are two other stories available? (However, I prefer all three on the front page.

Each and every module I find seems to be helping more and more.

I've got a personalized logo on the way and this site could come along well. I'm not even going to submit this thing to search engines or advertise my e-commerce stuff until my site is done to my liking.

mrskippy
  • 2004/12/19 9:29

• mrskippy

• Just popping in

OK ... now why are teasers being shown under the Other News: list.

It shows the story headline, than the headline again, with teaser text.

I want it to look like guitargearheads.com (latest story), than other features in the sidebar, perhaps the banner ad. And than, Other News below all of that.

BTW, is there a way for stories to rotate down the list?

Very nice module ... if I can get it to do what I want.

mrskippy
  • 2004/12/19 21:58

• mrskippy

• Just popping in

Bumping this, because you couldn't see the module in action before at mcclimans.us and now you can.

Hopefully you can answer my questions. I don't like how Other News is appearing. And what's with What's New?

Strange!!!

jdseymour

I no longer have it installed, so I can't check. In the admin section is there a way to select how long you want your teaser to be?

Somebody will have the answer for you. Very glad you like the module.

mrskippy
  • 2004/12/19 22:14

• mrskippy

• Just popping in

Yeah, I've found that. You have the main spotlight story (which rotates), the two side teaser stories, and than other news. The problem is that in other news, things don't display the way they should.

jdseymour

You will probably need to edit the template, and edit out what you don't want displayed.

Of course you will need to clone your templates first, as you cannot edit the original. It is a safety precaution so if you make a mistake you still have the original templates to fall back too.

mrskippy
  • 2004/12/20 3:01

• mrskippy

• Just popping in

Hopefully I won't have to go that far, but I can give it a shot. I know that the site I referred to above that uses this module makes things appear without the teaser text in other news.

Perhaps I'll take a look at the template and see if I can modify this even more.

Login

Who's Online

151 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 151

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits