astonstreet
Mail Problems

I have searched the forums and been unable to find an answer for my problems, forgive me if this has already been covered before.
My XOOPS site will not send email (activation, password request, mail users) to any email on a domain other then my own domain. ie: it will only send emails to email accounts on the same domain as the site.

Is this some security measure my host has employed? I am not technicaly minded so Im not able to work this out myself.

I have also lodged a help ticket with my host and am waiting a response.

any help/advice would be appreciatted

* edited - I have tried mail settings with PHP, Sendmail and results are the same... I have also tried SMTP but cant seem to get it to work I get a cant connect to smtp server error.... the server does support smtp though *

brash
Re:Mail Problems
  • 2004/11/3 4:57

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Sounds like a host issue to me rather than Xoops, and as such I doubt there will be much we can do except wait for your hosts response.

pdajunkee
Re: Mail Problems
  • 2004/12/12 7:35

• pdajunkee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/3 2

I am having the exact same problem, I can receive e-mails with the same domain name but it will not send anything out to other domains. I've used php, sendmail, smtp and smtpauth. All with no luck. If I setup the account with outlook I'm able to send to any domain.

I'm guessing it is some sort of anti-spam sending filter put in place by the web host. But it's a wild guess.

Let me know how it's worked out for you!

btw - I am using mysitespace as my host.

sgshell
  • 2004/12/14 14:50

• sgshell

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/4

this confirm a hosting problem.... due to sendmail that sending out a nobody sender mail....

I have this problem many time...

This also created a new problem since EMAIL is not sending to them...I was not able to send out activation email for those who had yet to activate their account...after i retify the problem on sendmail.

Do anyone know any module could i use to resend activation email to those not activated account?

chipthamac
  • 2005/1/10 23:18

• chipthamac

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/4 2

Quote:

brash wrote:
Sounds like a host issue to me rather than Xoops, and as such I doubt there will be much we can do except wait for your hosts response.

I am having the same problem and i have the same host, however smtp works for phpbb, but not for xoops...so I know it should, but i get an error:
"You are now registered. However, we were unable to send the activation mail to your email account due to an internal error that had occurred on our server. We are sorry for the inconvenience, please send the webmaster an email notifying him/her of the situation."

It will send an email to me notify the new user has registered though.

Anyway, how can I find out whats wrong?
(I have checked my smtpauth settings numerous times)
Thanks,
-Chip

chipthamac
  • 2005/2/1 5:05

• chipthamac

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/4 2

This is just and update, www.mysitespace.com sux a$$ and doesn't support any of the methods used to send mail from xoops. They are very immature as well, the only reason I am posting this info about them is just in case someone else encounters problems with mysitespace.com. In the event that you decide to go with another webhost and leave mysitespace backup your site to your hard drive first as they will del it.
here is a msg from them when I emailed them and told them I would be leaving and possibly contacting mastercard about a chargeback.
"Thanks for the heads up Chip. We'll go ahead and start preparing our rebutle. In the mean time, your billing has been stopped and the account terminated.

Thank you!
MySiteSpace Sales and Customer Service

MySiteSpace Sales and Service
http://www.mysitespace.com"

Within one hour all my files were del.

With my new host mail sent fine through default install.
Hope this helps at least one person.
Thx.

DMarvelus
  • 2005/4/6 22:27

• DMarvelus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/29

I am having the same problems. it sends email fine to email addresses that have the same domain name as mine. Others, it will not let me send.

Please let me know if you figure it out.

DMarvelus
  • 2005/4/6 22:51

• DMarvelus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/29

I am using a Windows host. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but anyway:

It would be great if something could be added to php.ini like smtp_password=my password and smtp_authenticate=1 or 0.

Then the mailer class could just check those variables and automatically turn on authentication if necessary. I think that's how it should work.

I'm going to try something like that, although if any one knows better than me how this thing works, you can try it. It would be great if this was built into the core.

rserrano
  • 2006/4/6 21:46

• rserrano

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/31

I am facing the same problem. My web host is telling me they cannot allow me to use the user nobody. So my XOOPS site has stopped to send mail for activations, notifications, even the contact us form is not working. I tried SMTP and it worked for activations but now has stopped to work. Is this somethig that could be solved by upgrading to 2.2?

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP?

Thanks

msdana
  • 2006/4/7 0:21

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Quote:
Is this somethig that could be solved by upgrading to 2.2?

Unfortunately, the mail function doesn't want to work for some 2.2.x users. When my site first went live, the email activations were being emailed to the user and the email notice was being emailed to me (administrator). Then after about 16 registrations it stopped working.

I had no server changes, I know this for a fact because I run the server. So now users activate users automatically, which I don't like to do, but have to.

Doing a search on XOOPS shows many people with this problem, but no real solution or reason for the problem.
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

Login

Who's Online

201 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 201

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits