peterpek
How do I increase Forum Views ?
  • 2004/12/10 4:56

• peterpek

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/10

Hi just a quick question.

I have noticed that the number of views listed in my forums is rather low. I know that this should be a lot higher.

For example, there is a thread with around 13 replies, but the views says that it is around 15. This can't be right as I have personally viewed this thread several times a day over a whole week.

I believe that the system is recognising that the same users keep viewing the same thread, and do not re-count them when they view the thread again.

My question is, can I change this? I want the views to be a lot higher!

Thanks.

http://www.rotary3300.org.my

tedsmith
Re: How do I increase Forum Views ?
  • 2004/12/10 8:09

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

As I understand it, it does only record the viewing of a thread once by each user. If it's not a registered user but an anonymous one then I think it record the IP address of the machine.

This makes sense realistically because once the user has read it, he's read it! There is no point implying that a forum has been read by 100 different people when it's just the same person reloading it 100 times. If this was the case the figures and stats that exist in web forums would not be as credible. At least this way, if it says it's been read 100 times you know that 100 DIFFERENT users have read it, which is a more valuable figure to have.

If you want to increase this figure try to attract more and more visitors to your site by adding as much content as you can that may be of interest to your audience.

I understand your frustrations and I am still trying to overcome a similar problem (not reads but actual postings!) but I think you just have to be patient. Or is there another reason why you want high read counts?

peterpek
  • 2004/12/14 4:52

• peterpek

• Just popping in

Thanks for your response.

Well... it does say "Views" and not "Read".

I understand your point, but in reality, it is actually not possible to have read or viewed the entire thread just once because the threaded discussion will grow. So it is just not possible to have viewed or read the entire thing just once.

But technicalities aside, the reason why I want to increase this is because I believe that it is human nature to want to be curious/interested in something that a lot of other people are also interested in. Hence, my logic is, if I can increase the views, then more people wil be interested. And if more people are interested, then the higher the views. And etc. You get the idea.

This actually is the case with the News module.

The other reason why I want to know about this is that one of my other forum allows me to choose if the views are logged and cached, or not. So, I am wondering if XOOPS can do this or not. It is interesting for me to find out what XOOPS can or can't do.

tedsmith
  • 2004/12/16 13:59

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I see your logic - that makes sense.

peterpek
  • 2006/4/11 4:13

• peterpek

• Just popping in

Does anyone know how I can get XOOPS to not cache forum views for the above purpose?

Login

Who's Online

483 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 483

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits