waterkid
Newbb Timestamp settings
  • 2004/12/7 4:32

• waterkid

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/7

I am using XOOPS as an assignment drop off and pick up source for my 7th grade students. As such, it is important to have an accurate timestamp setting.

My hosting service's server is located in Hong Kong. So, the server time is set to that time zone. I have set the default time zone to Pacific Standard Time (US and Canada) since that is where my school is located. The timestamp is exactly +8 hours off.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? If so, can you lead me in the right direction as to how I can fix the problem?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Waterkid

LazyBadger
Re: Newbb Timestamp settings

It can be pure speculation, but - I have imagination, what
- if XOOPS timezone setting are real timezone, where host is located
- if each user on registration stage write his/her timezone

all newbb timestamps will be shown to every user already translated to localtime

For example, my localtime is now 07 Dec 11:04, I see your posting dated as 2004/12/7 9:32:56, but I know and I'm sure - it can't be your TIME in PST, it seems as my TZ (GMT+05)

HTH

waterkid
  • 2004/12/9 7:18

• waterkid

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/7

Thanks for your reply. All students timezones are also set to PST. For the time being, I set both the server's timezone as well as mine to PST. By having them both set to that it is now exactly 24 hours off. So, at least I can see the correct time and then just keep in mind that its a day ahead.

I am thinking that it has to be a calculation error in the code somewhere. However, I am not sure where to look.

This problem not only arises in Newbb, but in AgendaX as well. This leads me to believe that it has nothing to do with those two modules, but instead with a file somewhere else in the program.

Mmmmmmmmmmm. Brain teaser.

Anyway, thanks for throwing the idea out there. I appreciate the response.

LazyBadger

It can be error somewhere (it's always possible), but I think, we can catch it more precisely... Why? Because I think, it can appear only if client and server TZ have different signs.
I wrote from TZ GMT+0500 message on server, which live (I know it) in TZ GMT+0300 and I see message timestamp in my local time

Add-on - this message have "some minutes" drift only from my time, but I don't know TZ of xoops.org

Login

Who's Online

235 user(s) are online (167 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 235

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits