beerMe
Google AdSense and robots.txt
  • 2004/12/8 5:06

• beerMe

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/9/13

Hi folks,

I'm trying to get Google AdSense set up for my site. They recommend either deleting robots.txt, or adding this to the top of the robots.txt file:

User-agent: Mediapartners-Google*
Disallow:

Here's what my robots.txt looks like now:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /cgi-bin/
Disallow: /tmp/
Disallow: /cache/
Disallow: /class/
Disallow: /images/
Disallow: /include/
Disallow: /install/
Disallow: /kernel/
Disallow: /language/
Disallow: /templates_c/
Disallow: /themes/
Disallow: /uploads/

How should I handle this? What is actually going on with the robots and such? Sorry I am so ignorant -- I'm learning!

seventhseal
Re: Google AdSense and robots.txt

I'm not so sure that that is limiting the robots to Google. I run AD-sense and did not change the robots.txt file. I can tell you that bots/spiders hit me big time no matter what. Just check my stats at XOOPS @ IBDeeming! and you'll see that in the short time this site has been up - 21% of my total traffic has been bots. Part of that has to do with my other site PHPNuke @ IBDeeming! which is part of my family of development sites. Bottom line, my AdSense works, I get hits, and I didn't modify the robots.txt

toddherrold
Re: Google AdSense and robots.txt

I also run adsense both for content and for search. I have not had a problem with Google googling my site prior to setting up adsense and with the standard robots.txt file. Most of my site has been indexed and google has been finding new content on my site pretty quickly.

I just changed my robots.txt to incorporate the suggested language from Google, thinking that it could only enhance the indexing that Google already does so well. Now it looks like this:

User-agent: Mediapartners-Google*
Disallow: /cgi-bin/
Disallow: /tmp/
Disallow: /cache/
Disallow: /class/
Disallow: /images/
Disallow: /include/
Disallow: /install/
Disallow: /kernel/
Disallow: /language/
Disallow: /templates_c/
Disallow: /themes/
Disallow: /uploads/

I do have some question whether the "user-agent" line limits the robots to google or simply assists google robots in knowing that this is a site that is running Google adsense, i.e., is a media partner. I would guess that it is the latter rather than the former.

Google explicitly claims that running adsense will not enhance your google search rating and positioning. The old "separation of church and state" thing. . Or if you prefer, the "chinese wall" between "ad and edit" for those in the publishing business. Don't believe it! It only makes sense that Google search listings would want to consider "mediapartner yes/no" as a variable in rating sites, because the more traffic sent to mediapartner rather than non-mediapartner sites, the more money for Google. They may have a mantra "don't be evil" but that doesn't stop them from trying to make bank, and all else being roughly equal, who would you rather send traffic to?

Login

Who's Online

211 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 211

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits