Sir-Pac
Top Tips
  • 2004/12/3 2:00

• Sir-Pac

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/25

One thing I like about community forums like this one, is the chance to learn a little something new, eveyday.

To that end I'm starting this Top Tips tread. Please join in....

This first one isn't mine....Only learnt it today

Time Saving Tip

When Typing in a URL into your browser press one of the following to save typing in the domain extension :

ctrl+enter for.com

shift+enter for .net

ctrl+shift+enter

Don't know if there is one for .co.uk

The .com works for me (in IE6) I haven't tried the others yet.

Come On Guys : Share your knowledge

Paul

brash
Re: Top Tips
  • 2004/12/3 3:04

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

This is very Windows centric, but I've always like Windows key + D to go straight to the desktop, and Windows key + E to open Windows Explorer .

DonXoop

Actually it is Windows + IE centric. And not XOOPS at all.

I like Alt-F2 to popup a command prompt instead of looking for a goofy icon. oh wait, that is a Linux thing.

I like the idea of top tips but it is subjective and I thought it would be XOOPS tips....

Want to have fun? Try browsing your site with a non graphical browser like lynx. If you can still navigate and read content with ease than you get 10 points for good design.

Sir-Pac
  • 2004/12/3 10:42

• Sir-Pac

• Just popping in

Quote:

DonXoop wrote:

I like the idea of top tips but it is subjective and I thought it would be XOOPS tips....

It's all good. However, for Xoop, there are plenty of other forums.

Quote:

DonXoop wrote:
I like Alt-F2 to popup a command prompt instead of looking for a goofy icon. oh wait, that is a Linux thing.

Woohoo, I'm putting Linux in an Xbox.

Quote:

DonXoop wrote:
Want to have fun? Try browsing your site with a non graphical browser like lynx. If you can still navigate and read content with ease than you get 10 points for good design.

This is a brilliant tip. Only recently did I even try another browser to IE6. Mozilla rocks.

Quote:

brash wrote:
This is very Windows centric, but I've always like Windows key + D to go straight to the desktop, and Windows key + E to open Windows Explorer.

Nice one brash. Certainly useful if you have a shag-load (not a real phrase) of applications open.

Pac

New Top Tip

Vanishing Windows:
Have you ever had a Window you can't maximize or minimize? Click anywhere in the misbehaving window and hit Alt-Spacebar. Then you can choose Close and kill the window.

and

A top tip I heard about yesterday, by holding the shift key you can use your scroll wheel on the mouse to scroll through web pages you have visited in your current session.

(As long as you have a scroll wheel on your mouse of course )

Sir-Pac
Re: Top Tips - Double Post - opps
  • 2004/12/3 10:43

• Sir-Pac

• Just popping in

I seem to have double posted. I'll use this one to add another Top Tip.

When purchasing something online, once the receipt is visable on screen, if there is no option to save receipt as txt file,use PrtScr to take a screen-shot, and save for future reference.

Now isn't that better than a double post

Pac

YourHelp
  • 2004/12/9 11:43

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

There is a loaf of bread called Top Tip or is it Tip Top it’s rather good.

carnuke
  • 2004/12/9 12:43

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Should we create a new TIPS N' TRICKS category in XOOPS FAQ?

m0nty
  • 2004/12/9 13:04

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i always liked the Alt+F4 to close the current window.. it's especially useful when in chat rooms when u get idiots coming in your room all the time asking to be operators.. i just used to tell them if they want op status, press alt+f4.. it's amazing how many people tried this.. lol

and some of the less computer literate users used to come back in the room and say it didn't work and their browser keeps crashin when they tried it.. doh!!

but i like the ALT+Tab switching to switch between open applications.. that makes life a bit easier..

YourHelp
  • 2004/12/10 8:34

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

I like the idea of the TIPS AND TRICKS SECTION!

Login

Who's Online

167 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 167

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits