Confare
Existing site integration question
  • 2004/12/2 4:35

• Confare

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/1

Hi..new user here. I just installed XOOPS with no problems so my next step is to integrate it within my existing site. I've been looking at the support pages and documentation but I can't find where to add my own header, footer, and side files so that XOOPS appears within my html page. Can someone either show me how or point me in the right direction? I appreciate it.

JasonMR
Re: Existing site integration question
  • 2004/12/2 5:26

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

Usually we get questions asking how to integrate their site into xoops, and not the other way around as you have posted your question. As in, how do I integrate allready created HTML pages, so that they appear as my XOOPS site looks.

You will need to explain a little further, what it is exactly what you want to achieve. From what I understood:

If you want to have sidebars, as you have them on your current site, you can create custom blocks, and place them where you want in the block settings.

If with header you mean logo and menubar, this would be a change to the theme you are using. Just as well as the overall look/design of your site, is governed by your selected theme.
If you are concerned about meta tags, see the following.

In Sys Admin -> Preferences -> Meta Tags and Footer, you can put what you want to appear in your footer. Though note, some themes wont display the footer, as they don't include the smarty tag for placing it.

Hope this gives you a start...

Confare
  • 2004/12/2 14:50

• Confare

• Just popping in

Sorry for the confusion. What I want is to keep my header and footer from my existing html page and place the contents of XOOPS in between it. I'm not sure where to change the background color/image as well. As you can tell I'm a newbie :)

Thanks in advance.

m0nty
  • 2004/12/2 15:03

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

ok, hmmm XOOPS is a CMS/portal.. and is designed to help people manage their sites content etc, so that they don't have to rely on creating html pages etc..

integrating XOOPS into ur html site, is really a bad way of going abt it.. and i'm not sure that can be done anyway really..

it would be far easier to integrate your site into Xoops, in essence you then make XOOPS look like ur site, but all the content of your site would then be easily maintained via XOOPS without having to publish html pages etc etc..

what ur asking is something like (in different context)

i want to put the controls, engine & cockpit of an f16 fighter into my car.. except i can't get it to fly for some reason.. ok that's a bad example really..

but you could put the car into a plane if u get my drift..

instead of putting XOOPS into your site.. you could simply replace the header in XOOPS and the footer with your existing header/footer by editing the theme.html & style.css files in the themes folders of xoops..

Confare
  • 2004/12/2 15:07

• Confare

• Just popping in

I think we are talking about the same thing but I'm not expressing it correctly. Basically I just want the general look of my site to stay the same...so in essence I do want to integrate my site INTO Xoops. Is there a tutorial to do this? Thanks for your help

DonXoop

If I'm understanding the question better now I think it would be rather easy. It sounds like he simply wants to run XOOPS instead of nuke and then keep the header and footer from the original site.

So, check around the site for tips on modifying/creating themes. You can then easily use the look and feel of your current header and footer in xoops.

Then of course you'll recreate your content in XOOPS mostly from scratch. I don't think he is asking to keep the old content as is with a new XOOPS install. Then again I can't be sure anymore, posts are getting stranger and more difficult to decypher these days.

m0nty
  • 2004/12/2 15:13

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

:)

if you read the docs & the faq section of this site in the left column there's some good references and information regarding editing themes etc.. if u get stuck with anything then just post a question and somebody will reply in time.. but try to search for your answers 1st using the search or the docs..

Confare
  • 2004/12/2 16:47

• Confare

• Just popping in

I'll do a little more searching now that I know what to ask for. Thanks for your replies, I know it is a pain in the ass dealing with my newbie questions but I figured the only way to learn is to ask.

JasonMR
  • 2004/12/2 21:26

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

We like people that are willing to learn, and ask questions rather than possing that they know. Sorry if we may sound a little impatient, if questions get asked over and over again, especially when they occur more often in a week, than there are days....

Lot's of success with your imigration, and ask us any time...

Confare
  • 2004/12/3 3:59

• Confare

• Just popping in

I understand completly...no need to apologize :) I am making some progress......this is the site that I want the contents of XOOPS to be located (Where it says "Coming Soon")

Wisconsin Rockhounds

and this is my progress so far (It's pretty bad at the moment but I'm sure I'll figure it out)

Rockhounds XOOPS test site

And this is the start of my basic XOOPS site that I have without attempting the integration

Rockhounds XOOPS site before integration

Thanks!

Login

Who's Online

388 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 388

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits