Alan-A
Re: Organising articles
  • 2004/12/1 11:43

• Alan-A

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/17

Hi,
regarding the problem of getting links in the left hand column, I remember having read in a post from one of the Wise Men of XOOPS that this has to do with the way that XOOPS is made.
There are several menu modules - I've not tried any of them but the name imenu comes to mind - try a search - and recently there were a lot of posts about menus with sublinks.
Another useful tool for organising your content is TinyD which is a simple wrapping module with you can use up to 9 times.
Good Luck,
Alan

timtak
  • 2004/12/1 11:47

• timtak

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/12

Okay, so I created the sections in WFsections all over again and moved one of the articles manually.

It is true that there is a rather nice menu now displayed on the left hand side of the main page.

But when I click on a link in the menu of WFsections, instead of getting that section, I get the whole list of wfsections.

I am thinking of blog categories such as in Movable Type, or any blog for that matter.

Or even the sort of functionality supplied by the old offline programs such as Dreamweaver or Homepage builder.

All I am after is the ability to diplay some content, in categories, which is selected and displayed when you click a link.

My site by the way
http://nihonbunka.com/kouryuu/html/modules/news/

Tim

timtak
  • 2004/12/2 0:47

• timtak

• Just popping in

Dear Alan-A,

Quote:
The way XOOPS is made...

I have used a variety of Movable Type, Nucleus, b2 Evolution, Wordpress, Textpattern and Drupal and I have played with Mambo server. Off-line I have used Homepage Builder and seen Dreamweaver. All of these Content Management Systems let the user display, that most common of homepage layouts: some content in categories with a menu.

I find it difficult to think of a more basic CMS task than this.

Most of the above CMS are blogs. Blogs were originally for diaries or "logs". So they might have been forgiven for being weak on organising content, on being a "content management system." One might worry whether the blogs (diaries, web logs) might only be able to display "news". BUT all of the blog software packages can display categories with menu-items. But XOOPS can not? It is XOOPS that can only display News?

Surely there has got to be a simple way of displaying a content menu?

My client has input a lot of data to XOOPS. I am not sure what to say.

Tim

timtak
  • 2004/12/2 12:08

• timtak

• Just popping in

Since WF-Sections comes the closest, I have tried posting a long explanation of a feature request on the WF-Sections Forum.

Tim

Alan-A
  • 2004/12/2 13:29

• Alan-A

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/17

Hi,

what I meant by the "problem" of organising links in the left hand menu is that the standard menu of XOOPS is set up to display one link for each module. This effectively divides your site up more or less "functionaly" - member area, forums, faq, content module 1, content module 2, wiki, news, and so on.
The problem that this brings is that the content contained in each "content module" (let it be wfSections, Articles, or whatever) is strictly seperated from the content in another content module. And that the site hierarchy is a bit steep at this level if youre wanting to present a lot of content.

Should you want however, lets say two entry points to your content in your main menu, and still have the possibility to present an overall content index as is possible with a module such as wfSections, then you fall flat on your face with the standard XOOPS menu.

This is the reason I sugested you look at one of the menu modules - you can either use it to provide a number of direct entry points to your content in addition to the standard XOOPS menu or to completely replace the standard menu.

And then there is the second approach - to use the "smaller" modules on parallel to each other for smaller, independent groups of content. Suitable modules here are TinyD which you can use up to 9 times and wfChannels.

I hope this helps.
I remember I found it frustrating having to "bend" the structure of my old html site to fit the "Xoops Way" but now I'm not sure if I'd consider making a non-Xoops site again.

Good luck,

Alan

p.s. Dont forget that you can rename each module, so that wfSections can become "Last Minute" and the Tutorials Module "Early Bookers".

timtak
  • 2004/12/2 16:25

• timtak

• Just popping in

Dear Alan,

It is beginning to sink in...can this really be true!?

I uploaded the Imenu module, which is basically a link list. But the problem is that I do not know where I might possibly link to. I would like to be able to link to a page where my articles within a certin WF-section, or Section are displayed, but is there such a page? I am not aware of one. I can get a list of article titles, but not their text. Perhaps this is where tinyD wfchannels comes in?

Perhaps I should rename several WF-sections modules (is it possible to have more than one?) and then rename each of the names of my categories? Even then there would be no page dislaying some articles, just a list of articles.

What is the advantage of the XOOPS way of doing things? I am kind of lost. Why would anyone not want to have content menus? Is it for when one has a big site? Perhaps I am just not used to having sites big enough. Do other users have sites so big that they would not want to link their content from the front menu?

Tim

Login

Who's Online

86 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 86

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits