mattm
actual downloads
  • 2004/11/26 19:25

• mattm

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/8 2

I'm looking for a module to allow users of a site to upload documents (word docs, pdfs etc) to be downloaded by others. The downloads module only appears to allow me to add links to files available elsewhere so I'm a bit stuck.

Any suggestions?

tedsmith
Re: actual downloads
  • 2004/11/26 19:39

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

You have two good options (that I can think of), and both modules are developed by WF-Projects.com. They are :

1) WF-Downloads or
2) WF-Sections

Both are highly configurable modules with regard to user permissions and what they can, and cannot, upload.

WF-Downloads is an overal downloads app and is designed for software, obviously. You can however use it for documents in the way you appear to require.

WF-Sections is a very powerful document handling module. The latest version is in Beta (2.9 i think) but there is a fairly recent stable release available.

Good luck

mattm
  • 2004/11/26 23:32

• mattm

• Just popping in

That's almost it but the user submit form doesn't allow the user to actually upload - only to specify a location where the file exists.

The ideal would be a submit form with a browse field to select the file from the user's local drive, a title field and a description. I get the feeling it would be possible to fudge such a form in with hidden fields to cater for all the other values the admin form requires.

Has anyone done such a hack?

tedsmith
  • 2004/11/27 11:15

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

I am assuming that you mean you want a module to allow certain users to upload documents from their PC to an area on your site and in the process making those documents available for others? If that is the case, then, again, I though you could delegate certain users permissions to do that with both of those mods. I could be wrong, but I'm sure if you check all the permission settings fully there could well be an option to do that. If you delegate your user(s) System Admin rights to the module itself they will be able to upload docs etc and in the process make it available to others.

mattm
  • 2004/11/27 15:53

• mattm

• Just popping in

I am a fool - the option was right there in the module preferences. User uploads can be switched on and off.

Thanks!

jpco_122122

I've been using wf-download on my intranet site but I have a problem when someone on the network try to download it gives a blank page and no download had come. I had already checked the MIME types such as .doc and .pdf and still unsuccessful with this.

Can u help me pls.What can I do to fix this?

tedsmith
  • 2004/11/30 14:50

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

What operating system are you using? If it's anything less than Windows XP you will need to fill any spaces in the path names with the '%20' (without quotes) character.

When I launched our Intranet site I had that problem but only from the users who tried to access the site on a W2K platfrom - all the ones using XP were fine. So I went and filled the spaces with %20 and all was fine.

Obviously check your path names thoroughly, and ensure you have set up your web servers (IIS\Apache? - which do you use?) to allow the execution of exe's, zips, etc. There is a MIME handler in IIS 6 that allows you to add\remove certain file types - setting the MIME permissions in XOOPS is not always sufficient if the server refuses them.

Good luck

jpco_122122

I've been using Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and Apache.
Here are the other problems that occured.Can u help me please.

1. If a registered user submit a file there is no notification to the administrator in the INBOX that there is a new file to be approved or reject. What can I do to fix this?

2. When a registered user submit a file it then gives a blank white page. But the file was uploaded. What shall I do to fix this?

3. Another problem I had is when I try to download the file it gives me a white page saying "Header already Sent".

Can u help me pls. What can I do fix it?

tedsmith
  • 2004/11/30 15:23

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

With regard to the download issue, I'm afraid I can't help because I don't have experience of Apache. The fact that you are using XP has stumbled me a little. I suggest you post your question on the forum at www.wf-projects.com as they are the developers of the module and quite likely to be able to help you.

I suggest you go into your General Settings and turn the Debugging feature on and then post your problems. I doubt I will be able to help very well, but someone here will know what all the stuff means. I expect in your case though it is to do with your Apache server not allowing certain MIME types or an upload folder is invalid or not write-enabled.

Your problem in Question 2 may be due to a problem XOOPS has with any uppercase letters in the mainfile.php. For example, if you have a path like "D:\Server\UploadFolder" set in mainfile.php it may well cause the rpoblem. I had the same thing with the forums. To correct it I was told to change all the upper case to lower case, and that worked (so for example d:\server\uploadfolder). It could be worth checking out at least.

Sorry I can't be more help.

jpco_122122

I put the new visit.php and it lessen the error messages. I've got 3 more problems:

1. When I was in the download section I turn on the PHP Debughttp://url//modules/wfdownloads/index.php it shows:

Notice [PHP]: Use of undefined constant XOOPS_VERSION - assumed 'XOOPS_VERSION' in file c:\mysql\data\muntinlupa\html\class\template.php line 89

2. When anyone submit a file it shows the error message:

Notice [PHP]: Use of undefined constant XOOPS_VERSION - assumed 'XOOPS_VERSION' in file c:\mysql\data\muntinlupa\html\class\template.php line 89

Both problem # 1 & 2, the data has been successfully added to the database but it show those errors.

3. How can I change if I want to download a file it will popup and it will not open in the same window.

What can I do to fix this?

Login

Who's Online

251 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 251

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits