Peekay
Version 2.0.7.3 login problem!
  • 2004/11/24 16:17

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I have been using XOOPS 2.0.5.2 for several days without a hitch. Today, I did a fresh install of latest version (2.0.7.3.) All went smoothly, but now although I can login as admin, any attempt to access admin control bounces me back to the login screen. I have emptied browser cache and deleted cookies but without success.

I have noticed that several people have reported this problem in this forum. Is there an official solution?

Mithrandir
Re: Version 2.0.7.3 login problem!

Software firewall blocking HTTP_REFERER?

Peekay
  • 2004/11/24 16:37

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Hi. No, I don't run a software firewall. Internet connection is via NTL cable DSL. There's a hardware firewall built in to the router?

m0nty
  • 2004/11/24 16:56

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

just a thought.. are u getting the message appear that says "this is your 1st time entering admin, please press ok to continue" when u try to goto admin?

or is it simply just redirecting u back to the login without that message?

if u keep seeing that message everytime, then make sure ur cache folder is writable (chmod 777) and check that adminmenu.php has been written in the cache folder..

try removing it if its there already and try again.

as u didn't actually say if there are any other issues.. such as being logged out again after every page refresh etc it could be a minor fault..

hardware firewall, hmmmm check the booklet or software that came with it and see exactly what protection that firewall gives..

Peekay
  • 2004/11/24 17:18

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Hi m0nty. To be more precise, first access attempt, I got to the 'this is your first time as admin' message. The next screen gave a warning about removing the install dir and a reminder to CHMOD mainfile.php to 444. At this point I could navigate the admin controls o.k., so I loaded the bb module and created a forum to check everything was working. Then I logged out and removed the DIR as instructed.

The next login seemed to work - I reached the screen with the button to access the admin page. It's clicking the button that appears to log me 'out' and redirects me back to the login screen. I tried registering as a new user. All works, including the e-mail notification. However logging in presents the same problem. Clicking any button presents the 'not authorised' alert and logs me out. Tried on my Mac and PC with same problem.

I checked my firewall logs and there are no unauthorised access reports. The cache folder is triple-7 and adminmenu.php is there and seems intact.

Peekay
  • 2004/11/24 18:41

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

I thought that NTL's infamous 'transparent' cache might be killing the session, so I just checked using our modem. No firewall. Same problem. Any ideas?

Peekay
  • 2004/11/24 21:24

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

O.K. I tried to re-install. Re-set all permissions. Dropped the database. Cleared out the cache folder and re-uploaded the install folder. I get all 'green' lights until after the tables have been created. When I move to the next step, I get the following error at the top of the screen:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/mysite/public_html/xoops/class/database/sqlutility.php:321) in /home/mysite/public_html/xoops/install/index.php on line 2461

The step concludes and the next screen says click here to visit your site. Unfortunately, one visit is all I get. Every click kills the session and dumps me at the login screen.

I tried replacing the sqlutility PHP file and re-installing but no joy.

Can I download a full XOOPS version higher than 2.0.5.2 but lower than 2.0.7.3 that doesn't have the 'security fix', because the new session management method doesn't work for me.

Peekay
  • 2004/11/25 10:21

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Problem solved. Error message during install was a clue to a corrupt PHP file somewhere.

I originally unpacked the Zip file with Stuffit and uploaded the files using a Mac. This normally works, (we do it all the time for PHP apps with very few problems), but some apps don't like it and my installation of XOOPS obviously didn't.

I re-downloaded, unpacked and uploaded the files this morning from a PC... and all is well.

Thanks to everyone who posted a suggested remedy.

Login

Who's Online

233 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 233

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits