ahchuchu
Smarty Error: unale to read blocks
  • 2004/11/24 6:57

• ahchuchu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/24

Although I encountered many problems, I was able to go over the installation steps I was excited making baby steps to completion but when I saw the blak page after the installation, my heart sank so deep in abyss.

I did some search on forum and I managed to modify the database to turn on the debug mode.
Now I am staring at this error message

Warning [Xoops]: Smarty error: unable to read resource: "db:system_block_login.html" in file D:\DevTools\xoops-2.0.9\html\class\smarty\Smarty.class.php line 1084
Warning [Xoops]: Smarty error: unable to read resource: "db:system_block_mainmenu.html" in file D:\DevTools\xoops-2.0.9\html\class\smarty\Smarty.class.php line 1084

It looks like index.php file is unable to open the blocks included in the page.

I know that Apache, PHP and MySQL are working because PHP-Nuke is working fine. I must probably change some permission or configuration but I have no clue.
I am using the followings:

Windows
Apache 2
PHP 5
MySQL 4.1
Xoops 2.0.9-beta

Please someone help me. Pleeeaaaase
Thanks

Herko
Re: Smarty Error: unale to read blocks
  • 2004/11/24 7:50

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Have you made the cache/, templates_c/ and uploads/ folders fully writable? Are you sure you have ALL the files? Make sur the default theme is installed corectly.

Herko

ahchuchu
  • 2004/11/24 15:42

• ahchuchu

• Just popping in

Since I am running it on Windows 2k I don't think permission is my issue.

Do I have all the files necessary?
Unless the download ended prematurely, I should have all the files.

I will re-install again and see if that fix anything.

ahchuchu
  • 2004/11/24 23:21

• ahchuchu

• Just popping in

OK I re-installed XOOPS a couple times but same error shows.

It seems like other people are having the same problems but no one is able to help. Perhaps it is a compartibility issue with new Apache2 and PHP5?

Anyway, going back to the error message.
Quote:
db:system_block_login.html

There's no such file "db:system_block_login.html"
But I found system_userinfo.html file in /html/modules/system/templates dir.
Aha! Somehow the program is looking for wrong file name.
maybe variable is not set correctly...
Since I don't know anything about PHP, it is like finding a needle in a beach. Anyone care to give me a hand?

brash
  • 2004/11/24 23:43

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Sounds like a permissions issue to me. Just because you are using windows does not remove the need for setting up the permissions properly. However, I am not familiar with Apache, so I wouldn't know where to start. IIS on the other hand I could have you running pretty quick .

ahchuchu
  • 2004/11/25 2:28

• ahchuchu

• Just popping in

Brash,
Windows dir is default to writable and I have set the apache2 to

DocumentRoot "c:/DevTools/xoops-2.0.9/html"

<Directory "c:/DevTools/xoops-2.0.9/html">

Options All
    AllowOverride All
    Order allow
,deny
    Allow from all
Directory>

If this is not setting the permissions correctly, please someone let me know.

Also, Brash, are you using PHP5?
I have found quite many posts saying XOOPS is not compatible with PHP5.

If you are using PHP5 and XOOPS is working, I guess I could narrow down the problem to apache2.

brash
  • 2004/11/25 3:19

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

What do you mean by default is writable? Perhaps the Everyone group is set to writable, but this does not mean everyone is able to write. This is because the deny permission attribute always overide everything else in Windows. For instance, if user1 has the deny write attribute set in the NTFS permissions for folderX, yet the Everyone group which user1 is a member of has the allow write attribute set, then the effective permission is going to be that user1 cannot write to folderX as the deny attribute overides all other permissions set at any level.

If the permissions in Apache work anything like IIS (which I say they would), then you'll have two levels of permissions. You'll have the Apache permissions as you've shown above which work at the web server level. But then you'll also have the NTFS permissions which work at the file system level. You MUST have both of these sets of permissions set correctly to get any action. I'd also expect that at some point you have to configure Apache to use an account for which it will use to access the files on your HDD? You'll need to ensure the NTFS permissons set for this account are correct. Security policies may come into it too, but on a vanilla install of windows I'd doubt it.

Xoops 2.0.9 beta is the only version to date written for PHP5 compatability, and is still in beta. However, I haven't run PHP5 yet myself, even in testing environments as I don't see the need just yet as all my prodection environments are using 4.3.8 .

Still, I'd be willing to bet this is an Apache/NTFS/User account issue over everything else.

ahchuchu
  • 2004/11/27 2:40

• ahchuchu

• Just popping in

I did a little test to see if those directories are "NOT writable."

I made "cashe" dir "read-only" and reinstall xoops.
As I suspected during the installation "directory cache/ is NOT writable" showed up on "Checking file and directory permissions.

Since I never had "Not writable" message showed up during the previous installtions, I have to assume that they are indeed writable and permissions are set correctly.

The only reason I used 2.0.9 beta was because someone on the others said "2.0.9-beta is almost compatible with PHP5" on forums. I have seen quite many postings, including ones in XOOPS wiki, saying that XOOPS is yet to be compatible with PHP5. I guess I try PHP4 and non-beta xoops.

Can anyone give other suggestions?

ahchuchu
  • 2004/11/27 16:06

• ahchuchu

• Just popping in

Somehow XOOPS is working now!
I reinstalled apache2 and mysql4.1 and changed from php5 to php4.3.9. And I am now using XOOPS 2.0.7.3.

Although I did the same configurations, the last time I re-installed the problems were fixed.

Login

Who's Online

500 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 500

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits