intel352
Re: Is XOOPS used for business applications?
  • 2004/6/2 13:56

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

Quote:
by burnwave on 2004/6/2 9:02:54

http://gaining-mass.com

Please tell me that site isn't entirely based around xoops? I am not quite familiar with XOOPS period, but if that's the case, I can't believe how fast the site runs. I am definitly convinced that this is more robust than nuke (which is what I develop for), and after seeing that, I believe it's time for me to move. ;)

now you see why i posted about XOOPS in the *nuke community to point out how it works, and why i'm migrating to it, lol

now if you could just bring bob and chatserv with you...

btw, XOOPS is so speedy, usually due to caching and other methods (cus i believe there are also some patches you can apply for even more speed, like an enhanced caching patch)

burnwave
  • 2004/6/2 15:31

• burnwave

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Indeed. I shall check it out.

jegelstaff

I am a founder and principal in a not-for-profit IT consulting and web hosting company called Freeform Solutions, based in Toronto, Canada. We use XOOPS as the platform of choice for intranet and portal solutions for our clients (other not-for-profits).

So yes, I would say you can successfully use XOOPS in business environments. Unfortunately I can't give you reference URLs or screenshots since the sites we have built are private sites for our clients.

There are some challenges to using XOOPS in complex intranets though, since the default approach of the system is to simply have all users either registered or anonymous. XOOPS is ahead of many competitors in that it lets you create lots of groups to manage your users, and the modules have group-based permission structures for the most part. But the big problem with having lots of groups in XOOPS is that managing those groups and the users in them can be a challenge.

For instance, there is no automatic way for new users to be made members of specific groups in your system. You have to manually assign group membership. There is a thread discussing this and some modules for fixing it (including one we wrote) here:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?forum=14&topic_id=23504

Another example: if you want to give ten of your groups the ability to access your forums, you have to assign that permission individually to each group. You can't select the permission you want to assign (or remove) and then select the scope of groups to apply the permission to. I am optimistic that these sorts of improvements will come around in 2.2 or 2.4 (certainly by 3.0, right guys?!).

Fortunately, the backend of XOOPS is well enough organized that these kind of additions are not too hard to code yourself if you have decent knowledge of SQL and PHP.

One of the biggest drawbacks for potential commercial/business users of XOOPS is that it is difficut to get a handle on what modules are best for achieving what ends. Hopefully modules.xoops.org will be open soon and will solve this problem. But for now, a fair bit of patience and research is required to figure out what modules are available (and reliable) for meeting whatever need you have. I believe XOOPS could really take the business/intranet niche by storm if the marketing effort just moves up a couple notches and good promo material including module listings is made available.

--Julian

ecxeleron
  • 2004/9/24 14:09

• ecxeleron

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/4/27

hmm so i can burn XOOPS to a cd, then sell the cd for for megabucks.
I sold the cd, XOOPS was just a free extra :p

Mithrandir

Quote:

ecxeleron wrote:
hmm so i can burn XOOPS to a cd, then sell the cd for for megabucks.
I sold the cd, XOOPS was just a free extra :p
If you can find anybody stupid enough to buy it, then yes

Kalobotz
  • 2004/10/11 13:13

• Kalobotz

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/26

By design “Open Source” and sourceforge products are marketed to Software engineers and the tech industry.

The usual payment method for this product is that the developer releases their sourcecode back to the product-base if any changes/innovations are made.

If you want to develop a CMS for a tech consumer you should expect to charge in the thousands of dollars, as that seems to be the going rate. Or you can sell website services and tack it on as a free software package

This is a good site for all types of CMS distribution/costs in the industry.

www.cmswatch.com

Kalobotz
  • 2004/10/12 16:16

• Kalobotz

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/26

Major brainstorming alert:

It just seems like online software is the best place to make money and desktop apps may be dying.

Sourceforge seems like the future and am thinking of also making a game as a sourceforge project and then sell its services via the Internet totally. Doing tech work I haven't had an inclination to sell desktop apps. Everything else in society is opensource so why not software. What's 2d-webportals now is teleportation tomorrow through the universe. It's allot more secure and safer overall.

Just some random thoughts

nbwork
Re:Is XOOPS used for business applications?
  • 2004/10/20 14:31

• nbwork

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/13

open source doesn't mean free, read the license you all have agreed to ;)
M$ is allowed to hide their code, its their right to, but open source projects are often much better than proprietary things. free lance people can use xoops, but can't just box it up and say, "here buy this software from me" XOOPS is freeware, but you can charge for services (installing, customizing, your time spend on the project, just not XOOPS itself) i believe there are actually terms under which you could sell open source code, but who'd want to? just sell your services and give them a great deal, you'll get more customers that way!

edit: i was wrong, you can just box it up and sell it! but again you'd be stupid to buy something just for the code as you can download it for free! just remember kids, ALWAYS give back to the communities in your life you benefit from.

jmass
  • 2004/10/20 15:42

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

Thanks for the edit. I was just about to flame you big time for misrepresenting the GPL. I am a bit of an open source advocate, and this entire thread has soooo many inacurate "facts" aboutthe GPL.

Good catch.

JMass

YourHelp
  • 2004/11/21 6:43

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

There are many that would use xoops.

Login

Who's Online

133 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 133

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits