dreamgear
Getting content from MS-Word into xoops... via html or pdf ?
  • 2004/10/20 3:40

• dreamgear

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/7/18

One of my customers produces a lot of newsletter-type documents in MS word. Nothing is likely to pry him away from it, just like 99% of computer users.

Due to the frustration I've experienced trying to get MS word files into WF-Sections, I'm thinking about putting them up as PDF files.

Can any XOOPS module handle PDF files now ?

I've found that Open Office can produce better HTML than any MS product from MS files, but it still fixes the widths in pixels. My customers can't count on people having more than 800 pixel wide screens, so that looks bad. If only OO could do a "liquifiled" html format.

But, I find OO can also do pretty good PDFs, so that's where I'm at.

Open to any suggestions.

dreamgear
Re: Getting content from MS-Word into xoops... via html or pdf ?
  • 2004/10/27 21:09

• dreamgear

• Friend of XOOPS

bump.

I would value even the kind of reply that says "yeah it's a problem for me too and I can't find a solution" or any perspectives whatever.

Thanks...

JMorris
Re:Getting content from MS-Word into xoops... via html or pdf ?
  • 2004/10/27 21:36

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Last I checked, the only way to import MS Word is through WF-Sections. When I last tested it, there were some problems with importing Word docs and preformatted html, but I've submitted bug reports on it and I'm sure they've addressed these issues. You may want to look at their most recent CVS version (or release candidate) to see if this functionality meets your needs.

Hope this helps.

JMorris

dreamgear
Re:Getting content from MS-Word into xoops... via html or pdf ?
  • 2004/11/17 22:30

• dreamgear

• Friend of XOOPS

The import word functionality in WF-Sections depends on the server running Windows & Word. It does it through a COM object. Pretty cool.. but I use Linux hosting.

Anyway, I've modified the WF-Section module to display PDFs in iframes. Check the wf-projects.com forums for a pointer. I submited it here as a download but it was silently rejected.

ajaxbr
  • 2004/11/17 23:17

• ajaxbr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/25

Hi dreamgear
I did a short research on this, as it's in my list of problems to solve (would make my life much easier right now ) and I just got a rather decent output converting a couple Word files to RTF then to HTML using DocFrac. I hope this helps you.

Edit: another clean, fast tool is wv, which can be downloaded for WIN32 fromhttp://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuwin32
After you install it, go to a command line at install_dir\bin and run wvware path_to_doc\docname.doc > path_for_saving\htmlfile.html

gravies
  • 2004/11/17 23:32

• gravies

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/8/18

For powerpoint files and newsletter style word documents I save the front page as a large gif / jpeg. Upload this to XOOPS using the image manager. Then link the image to a pdf file generated with Open Office or directly from Word (Save As PDF on OSX).

If OO breaks the Microsoft document then you can convert directly to PDF using Acrobat Professional / Distiller. Or, more cheaply, by going via postscript and using ps2pdf-m (unix/cygwin).

If you want to convert to HTML for your 'liquid' approach then I suggest using Macromedia DreamWeaver to clean the HTML produced by Word. It has "Fix Microsoft Word HTML" menu item

koertzen
  • 2004/11/18 1:04

• koertzen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/22

I use iContent for my articles. Putting content from MS-Word into XOOPS is very simple using the Design tool in page admin. (You can only access this tool when you are logged in with Internet Explorer for Windows.)

When the Design tool open, I simply copy the content in the Word document and then paste in the design window. Then click the "Cleanup HTML" button (upper right, looks like a blue eraser hovering over a document). This removes all of those nasty Word stylings. I'm then able to apply all of my styles as I wish.

Login

Who's Online

211 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 211

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits