wammes
Need help choosing a module
  • 2004/11/14 12:58

• wammes

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/1/3 1

Well, i'd like to do this in my XOOPS site:

It's for a boy- and girlscout association, we have different groups. Each group has their own childeren, so we have a group with the youngest childeren, older childeren, oldest childeren, etc.

For each of these groups I'd like to give some of my users the possibility to make a 'mini-homepage' on my XOOPS site. So they can introduce themselves, make custom pages with their own content, upload pictures, etc.

I've tried different modules (soapbox, tinycontent, wf-section), but they didn't gave me the feeling that those were the ideal modules for doing this.

Basically I need:
* categories
* possibility for a usergroup to add / modify different content in a certain category, maybe even divided into subcategories
* ease of use (people that need to edit the content aren't computerexperts)

Which module should I use?
Any suggestions would be great!

Thank you very much

Booga
Re: Need help choosing a module
  • 2004/11/14 15:11

• Booga

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/11/29

can you have subdomains??

maybe you could do a static page at the main domain and have a subdomain for each of the groups that you have....and just have a XOOPS site set up in each subdomain.

the only problem with this is you would need to use a different database for each group......but would do exactly as you want. Would only take a bit of time to set up.

You could have for instance:

http://www.boyscouts.com with the main page which would be a static html index file with some info and links to the subdomains like:

http://young.boyscouts.com ,http://older.boyscouts.com andhttp://oldest.boyscouts.com

you could do the same with the girlscouts....

would be a bit of work to set up but i think would serve a good purpose......or maybe not.....

I don't know about a module that could do as you want. Sorry

Marty.

Lance_
  • 2004/11/14 15:17

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Would be doable with one database if using the multisite hack.

You can even share some tables for info that can be shared between all groups, yet keep parts seperate.

I don't see a module allowing you to give the users access to their own editing of their page. Soapbox might be the closest I know.

Cheers

Mithrandir

Perhaps you can take a look at obs_classroom
It was made for teachers at a school to create custom pages for their classes, by giving each teacher a "Classroom" to add classes in - and then allowing the teacher to add blocks to any of the classes.

It will most likely not be fully as you want it, but perhaps a step of the way

carnuke
  • 2004/11/14 16:45

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

I use a ported module called Wordpress. It's essentially a blog, but you can make categories and allow multiple authors to post. Each author can be selected to show only his/her pages and likewise categories can be selected.

Authors need to be approved before they can post, they can also be granted upload of images onto your webspace, yet given restrictions for file types and file size.

All posts can have the option of user comments that can be auto approved or manually approved before publication.

The only drawback is that each entry is prefixed by a date Well, it is a blog after all!

However, it could be modified to suit your purposes very nicely, I think. . There is also an option in the admin to use the spaw editor that makes things much easier for inexperienced users.

Here's my versionhttp://houseofstrauss.co.uk/modules/wordpress/

BTW... There is also RSS syndication on all content.

wammes
  • 2004/11/15 19:05

• wammes

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/1/3 1

@all: thank you for your replies, they really help me thinking things over.

@booga and @lance: I have only one subdomain, so that is not getting me there. I'd like to merge everyting into one site, so a multiple XOOPS installation is not really what I want. It's not only the content for each group apart, but the association itself also has content. With different sites everything is spread everywhere. That's not what I really want. I could clone the right module, that would solve the categorie thing. For each categorie I could create another clone of for example the edito module.

The edito module has in fact everything when I clone it several times. That could be a sollution.

@Mith: but then we have the classroom module. At first site it sees a bit odd with the directors and teachers. But a modification of some language files could do the trick. I think...

@carnuke: Haven't got the time to test the wordpress module. I'll try it later and let you guys know the result.

Thank you very much for your feedback. It helps me a lot!

Login

Who's Online

148 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 148

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits