wolis
xoops and multi-sub-sites
  • 2004/11/1 3:35

• wolis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/1

Hi xoopers,

I am looking into XOOPS to run our website however a requirement of ours does not appear to be standard in XOOPS and I'm not sure which module/s would help us do this.

We run conferences, training sessions and seminars on specific topics.

What we require is a main site (like standard zoops) however each conference (each year) and each session and seminar would need to have its own set of news, downloads, articles, polls etc..

It looks like xoop (and other BBS types) are built the other way round.. one download area, one News section, one set or articles, one poll section etc.. within these are (sometimes) sub-grouped - othertims just lumped as one.

Short of setting up a new XOOPS site each time we run a new conference or training session, can XOOPS be modified to do this?

Thanks,

tom
Re: xoops and multi-sub-sites
  • 2004/11/1 5:38

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Short answer: yes

Long answer: you would need to get scripting to make it work, or pay some one to do it for you.

There is talk of LDAP for the next major release of Xoops, this will allow multi-sites and sharing of information on a DB, but not sure this would still fullfill your requirements.

There is a subsite module, but met with restrictions, on that all content can presently only be shared within one Database. To see this module try the following link:

https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1413

This module makes hacks to the core of XOOPS to enable multi-sites and hasn't been updated in a while, hence may not work with latest version of Xoops, you will still also require all XOOPS files for every site

There is also a conference module titled 'Myconference', I've tried the module but not in great deapth, to see a demo (non english) click the following link:

http://www.cafelug.org.ar/modules/myconference/

To download the module to try for yourself:

http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/?myconferences

There was also a project on the Dev site, which Herko kept promising to release the files for, which looked very promising for E-communities by creating villiages, which could help you with simple modifications, although now I can't seem to find that project any longer, pooooof disapeared. So you may need to ask herko.

I hope some of this was of some help to you.

wolis
Re: xoops and multi-sub-sites
  • 2004/11/1 23:35

• wolis

• Just popping in

Thankyou for that info.

I will give the subsite module a go.. being all in one DB should not be a problem.. its the display, grouping and presentaiton of content that is of main concern.

Lance_
Re:xoops and multi-sub-sites
  • 2004/11/1 23:53

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

You can check out my sites for example of a MultiSite. Some tables are shared, like the forums, and most are not.

Cheers.

wolis
  • 2004/11/2 1:20

• wolis

• Just popping in

Thanks.

That finally clarifys what this mysterious MultiSite module does.

You can set up several seperate XOOPS site but identify content to be shared across them.

I can see the logic of it.. but I dont think this is the solution we are looking for.

Ah well. back to the modules list.. but as Tom has said.. it cant be done without some custom code.

dmxadev
Re:xoops and multi-sub-sites [X.500 and LDAP]
  • 2004/11/2 3:20

• dmxadev

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/24

XOOPS does not yet support multiple sites or sub-sites within a single installation.

Currently, there is an Admin group. Either you are an Admin, or not. Anyone who is an Admin can manage everything. Registered Users can interact with resources not restricted to Admins. Basically, XOOPS is an "all or nothing" framework. It works well for "standalone" implementations with one Admin team and one base of managed resources, like an internal Web server for an HR or Tech Support group.

The current framework is problematic when there is a need to go beyond "standalone" implementations. If multiple groups need access to resources from different XOOPS systems, members would need to have multiple username/password combinations. Members with a username/password would have full non-Admin access to all resources on whichever system. Each group would also have its own Admin members.

Businesses using XOOPS would greatly benefit if they had the abilities to:
* use "single sign in" across systems,
* selectively assign resource access rights,
* delegate partial administrative rights,
* administer multiple XOOPS systems from a single interface.

Module authors have no XOOPS API to do any of the above. Certainly, though, some of that fuctionality can be individually kludged.

For complex CMS usage or implementations of more than one XOOPS installation, XOOPS needs to be rewritten from the core level to allow management and directory cataloguing in an X.500 compliant manner. (Similar efforts use LDAP.) Furthermore, the XOOPS API needs to offer documented functions to query, administer, and interact with XOOPS installations, X.500 directories, and LDAP functions. Not trivial tasks. Fortunately, the conversion to PHP5 should present a wonderful opportunity to tackle this challenge.

Since XOOPS is the product of Open-Source, multi-author effort, it seems proper to have fora for XOOPS namespace, XOOPS single administration interface, and discrete XOOPS user rights for resource accesses. On the bright side, there is already an XOOPS LDAP effort.

tom
  • 2004/11/2 15:50

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

@ wolis

I think the Subsite could still be utilised to your needs though, some modifications would be needed.

Quote:
each session and seminar would need to have its own set of news, downloads, articles, polls etc..

I presume you require one login like a MSN passport, for this the subsite can handle.

for having seperate sections of news, articles, etc, you would need to duplicate those modules per site, something which could be done, if dont have a clue on module duplication and if you wish to choose this path then drop me a pm.

The only problem that arrises is for new versions of those modules you would either need to update all modules files or only the new additions, and of course the compatibility of future XOOPS versions.

Login

Who's Online

111 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 111

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits