pgregory
Data migration
  • 2004/10/30 15:02

• pgregory

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/30

Hi all,

I am looking to introduce a CMS based web site in place of our currently manually authored one onhttp://www.aqsis.com.

At the moment, from some testing and comparison, XOOPS is looking like the frontrunner. I really like the administration interface, and this is a major thing for me. The main reason I need to do this is that we have not been able to get someone to be web admin for the site, so the responsibility keeps falling back to me, but I'm a programmer not a web designer. Having a site that can easily be updated/managed online is essential.

The only thing holding me back at the moment; and this is an issue with all the solutions I have looked at, not just XOOPS; is that there is a very important amount of information stored in a phpBB2 database. I'd like to be able to transfer both user names/passwords and basic forum content, not worried about PM's and other things. I'm happy to do some manual fiddling, but need the bulk of it to be automated. Is there anything that could do this for me?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul Gregory

m0nty
Re:Data migration
  • 2004/10/30 15:14

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i believe bd_csmc has some scripts for migrating phpbb to xoops.. don't quote me on it, altho he'll probably be able to provide you with info etc..

if i see him online i'll point this thread out to him if he doesn't see it 1st..

smdcom

maybe you can find athttp://www.bbpixel.com

they've a converter phpbb2.x origin to phpbb-x for xoops..

m0nty
  • 2004/10/30 16:03

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

nice 1 smd, i didn't know they had a converter to XOOPS :)

i was just about to post a few MySQL field names and show the changes needed if he wanted to just do the user base..

ie

'user_id' change to 'uid'
'username' change to 'uname'
'user_password' change to 'pass'

etc some fields are named the same tho..

this might help you just to edit the database dump file accordingly just to get the users imported..

pgregory
  • 2004/11/1 7:51

• pgregory

• Just popping in

Quote:

smdcom wrote:
maybe you can find athttp://www.bbpixel.com

they've a converter phpbb2.x origin to phpbb-x for xoops..

I can't find a module caled phpbb-x, am I missing something here?

Cheers

PaulG

pgregory
  • 2004/11/2 7:41

• pgregory

• Just popping in

Quote:

m0nty wrote:

'user_password' change to 'pass'

So does this mean that the password encryption scheme is identical? If so, that would be a great benefit, as porting the user base is probably more important than the messages, as a fallback I could always lock the phpBB2 board and leave it available as an archive for reference.

Cheers

Paul Gregory

Login

Who's Online

212 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 212

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits