krystinevo
news 1.21 and group perm

Sorry in advance for asking such a stupid question...(I promise I searched first!)

I downloaded news 1.21 awhile ago and it finally dawned on me (after not seeing the group permissions everyone's talking about) that I perhaps need to d/l and install the groupperm.zip folder that's listed on dev.xoops.org.

I've looked through the folder for a "how to"... do I just overwrite the folders in the module?

(I think there should be a forum for people like me one step below the beginner's corner for the xoops challenged )

Thanks in advance,

Kristine (who's a bit slow on the uptake sometimes)

brash
Re:news 1.21 and group perm
  • 2004/10/26 23:06

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hi Kristine,

After uploading the News 1.2.1 module over your old News 1.1 module, did you goto the System Admin -> Modules menu and update the News module?

krystinevo

Quote:

brash wrote:
Hi Kristine,

After uploading the News 1.2.1 module over your old News 1.1 module, did you goto the System Admin -> Modules menu and update the News module?

Yup, I did... in fact, I've updated it a couple of times (hoping that it would change).

Thanks,

Kristine

brash
  • 2004/10/27 3:13

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Interesting....

And if you go into the News 1.2.1 admin menu there is definately no item called "Submit/Approve Permissions" ?

krystinevo

Quote:

brash wrote:
Interesting....

And if you go into the News 1.2.1 admin menu there is definately no item called "Submit/Approve Permissions" ?

Yes there is Brash...

Maybe this module doesn't do what I think it does?

I thought that when a user submitted a news item, they would be able to set permissions as to which groups would be able to see the item. (Like PiCal).

Do I have this wrong?

Thanks for responding,

Kristine

Mithrandir

Permissions in 1.2.1 are there to set on a topic level, who can approve articles, who can submit articles and who can view articles.

Setting permissions on a per-article level is something I am against in general due to performance concerns - and also because I personally don't see why one should set permissions on articles.

If you want a more granular permission model, you could take a look at AMS where you can have "Audiences" and set permissions on that level, too.

AMS will be out in a public release by the end of November, but is available to you immediately, if you donate $10 or more to the project.

hervet
Re: news 1.21 and group perm
  • 2004/10/27 19:22

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

krystinevo
Re: news 1.21 and group perm

Thank you all for responding, I appreciate it.

Kristine

Login

Who's Online

236 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 236

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits