Xman04
PHP 5.x upgrade issues
  • 2004/10/24 23:22

• Xman04

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/12

Hi,

I've heard that XOOPS has problems with PHP 5.x. As of now, my XOOPS web site sits on a host that uses PHP 4.3.9.

What would happen if my host decided to upgrade to PHP 5.x? What kind of errors might my XOOPS site be vulnerable to? I'm only using the main XOOPS modules at this time, and have not added any third party modules.

After reading about the possible PHP 5 errors, I'm concerned about the consequences of my host or any host upgrading to PHP 5 in the future.

Any thoughts or experiences with this issue?

Dave

DonXoop
Re: PHP 5.x upgrade issues

You should ask the provider what their plans are. Let them know that you expect enough notice before they upgrade so you can try to prepare for it or move your server.
4.3.9 is really good so no rush to upgrade.

Xman04
  • 2004/10/25 18:58

• Xman04

• Not too shy to talk

Hi Don,

I'm going to write to my current host, and see what they have to say. Although, I don't think I will ever be completely comfortable, unless I'm using a host that is XOOPS friendly, or XOOPS becomes PHP5 compatible. My current host could tell me one thing, and do something else later on.

Is it difficult to move an XOOPS site between hosts?

Dave

Mithrandir

Moving a XOOPS site is not difficult.

However, we are working on PHP 5 compatibility, but lack test data as well as we have encountered a problem in module installation that is hard to troubleshoot as it is very irregular.

If your host upgrades next week, we won't be ready for it
If your host upgrades next month, we may be ready for it
If your host upgrades after Christmas, we should be ready for it (but I am not promising anything because this module installation bugger is bothering me a great deal)

Xman04
  • 2004/10/27 15:46

• Xman04

• Not too shy to talk

Hi Mithrandir,

Thank you for the estimated time table on the PHP5 conversion. You guys have done a great job on Xoops, and I'm committed to growing my web sites along with your continuous upgrades. The quality of XOOPS is far beyond any other CMS that I've looked at.

I contacted my current host and Surpass hosting regarding any plans for upgrading to PHP5. Surpass told me that they will be updating PHP when cPanel releases an update for this. However, they could not estimate when this would happen. I imagine that many hosts will upgrade along with cPanel, since cPanel is so widely used. Although, this is not saying that cPanel has any plans to upgrade to PHP5. I may try to contact cPanel, and see what they have to say.

My current host told me that they have no plans to upgrade to PHP5, due to compatibility issues. Thus, it seems to depend on the particular host, and whether or not they make their decisions based on cPanel or their own criteria. Although, I wonder if cPanel gives them options as to what versions of software to use.

Dave

Login

Who's Online

155 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 155

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits