• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/24

Quote:

vinit wrote:

Mozilla Meets Mambo
http://eiproject.net/phpbb2_dev/viewtopic.php?t=153

Rick is it XOOPS or Mambo ????
Could you be more clear in what you are trying to achieve???

First I would like to thank Mithrandi for pulling us back in the topic of XOOPS.

The Mozilla Meets Mambo was being considered. I could not find anyone who was reliable to do the admin module for Mambo.

One of our visitors gave me the link for XOOPS. I installed it and saw the embedded flash banner ontop and here I am.

So if I may place some requirements perhaps we can use XOOPS. The culture of the developers here seem right for me.

The project is for a fast internet connection. We are competing with T.V. We want the same entertainment value and quality of video and sound.

Requirements:

1) We need to embed Flash and Quictime objects

2) Allow the attendees to register / and retrieve lost passwords

3) Be able to track our attendees through cookies

4) Each Mozilla product is a separate virtual booth and will have their own campaign and team members

5) The official Mozilla Foundation team members must be able to add/ edit and publish content

6) Each product line must be able to track traffic (remember each attendee is a registered member)

7) Extension developers will have their own booth

8) May want to use iframes for embedding media objects

9 ) Utilize a forum module

10 Use of a text editor for entering content - If XOOPS does not have a WYSIWYG editor, can we use one from a vendor like WYSIWYG Pro?

11) Articles can have a posting start_date and posting end_date

12) Must be DHTML compatible so that the template will resize for 800 x 600 or fit exactly for 1024 x 768

13) Use an ad banner system (php/ mySql) that can tract events and capture meaningful statistics.

Optional:

9) Will be produced in French and German next year

10) The attendee must be able to bookmark

11) Integrate a test module with score tracking. More elaborate than poll testing

Regards,

Rick

Mithrandir
Re:Mozilla Dev Team is considering using XOOPS

Quote:

1) We need to embed Flash and Quictime objects

If it can be embedded in HTML, it can be embedded in XOOPS
Quote:

2) Allow the attendees to register / and retrieve lost passwords

XOOPS supports that out of the box
Quote:

3) Be able to track our attendees through cookies

Depending on the level of tracking needed, this is standard
Quote:

4) Each Mozilla product is a separate virtual booth and will have their own campaign and team members

5) The official Mozilla Foundation team members must be able to add/ edit and publish content

6) Each product line must be able to track traffic (remember each attendee is a registered member)

7) Extension developers will have their own booth

8) May want to use iframes for embedding media objects

Depending on what kind of content, this may be possible with stock module(s)
Quote:

9 ) Utilize a forum module

As you can see, XOOPS has an excellent forum module available
Quote:

10 Use of a text editor for entering content - If XOOPS does not have a WYSIWYG editor, can we use one from a vendor like WYSIWYG Pro?

We are working on core support for WYSIWYG editors, but so far you will have to modify existing modules to use a WYSIWYG editor - we have a close-to-finished Koivi editor available onhttp://dev.xoops.org
Quote:

11) Articles can have a posting start_date and posting end_date

This is supported in e.g. News module
Quote:

12) Must be DHTML compatible so that the template will resize for 800 x 600 or fit exactly for 1024 x 768

Should be doable
Quote:

13) Use an ad banner system (php/ mySql) that can tract events and capture meaningful statistics.

Depending on the level needed, it is possible to add such elements - but you may find that the functionality is too limited and will need custom development

Quote:

9) Will be produced in French and German next year

XOOPS supports multiple languages out of the box - however, only for the site, not the actual content. Again, depending on the need, you may have to initiate in custom development
Quote:

10) The attendee must be able to bookmark

Bookmark what?
Quote:

11) Integrate a test module with score tracking. More elaborate than poll testing
Sounds like another custom module, but not impossible.

Good luck with the project

Rickb
  • 2004/10/26 16:22

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

Dear Mithrandir,

I would like to thank you for answering each item. The information you have provided will help make the decision of choosing XOOPS. For some reason I am getting better results and greater interest at XOOPS than at the Mambo forum.

If the Mozilla Expo can help promote XOOPS and the XOOPS community, this would be the mark of a successful mission.

Ultimately I would place info ads for XOOPS (these are movies with audio) and build a virtual booth at the Mozilla Expo for XOOPS. The "Mozilla Meets" series is an attempt to bridge open source projects in a virtual expo environment with the Mozilla development.

In the spirit of Mozilla Meets XOOPS, there lies a possibility for XOOPS developers to create an extension for Mozilla so that, for instance, Firefox would have element of XOOPS feature as a downloadable extension (module).

Another example, take the Mozilla suite for instance with its bundled browser, composer and email client. Providing components of XOOPS within this suite would take publishing content to the next level. The composer is merely a HTML WYSIWYG editor. This is where I think a extension could be added that would present a Mozilla CMS / portal in place of the composer or in addition to the composer.

I am not necessarily advocating plugging a complete XOOPS into Mozilla, I am suggesting that you can create XOOPS components so that the non-technical content provider would want to use the XOOPS rather than the composer and find it easily accessible within Mozilla.

Another idea of integration would be to place an alert or status icon that when you received a pm or reply to a post, this icon would light up. Clicking on the icon will take you to the respective forum. Of course, you do not have to have your email client up and running for this. Again, XOOPS is there making life easy.

The Mozilla Expo would then present the XOOPS extension among other Mozilla extensions at the virtual tradeshow. This extension would function as a subtle introduction to XOOPS. This would give a tremendous boost to both Mozilla and XOOPS.

I am just kind of thinking out loud - correct me if this or aspects of what I’ve described seems impractical.

Regards,

Rick

P.S.
Could the Mozilla composer be considered a text editor for XOOPS? Because Mozilla is completely open source, I think this is possible - but is it practical?

Mithrandir

I'll be away for a few days, but will be ready to give you feedback on this as soon as I get home.

I am not entirely convinced that there would be a lot to gain from tighter integration between XOOPS and Mozilla, but that is on a practical level and not at all because I don't like the idea.

Keep thinking out loud and I'll respond around Thursday'ish

Rickb
  • 2004/10/26 17:03

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:
I am not entirely convinced that there would be a lot to gain from tighter integration between XOOPS and Mozilla

I want to stress that only components and not a complete integration would be created as an extension.

Think, "How can we get XOOPS on the desktops of millions of users and be practical? My suggestion is to create elements or XOOPS components as a plugable and unplugable module / extension for Mozilla. This also creates a path to XOOPS.org

Rick

kaotik
  • 2004/10/26 17:41

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/2/19

Hi Rickb
Let me start by saying that mozilla rocks! Mozilla used to be my preferred browser, now it's firefox :)
I'm a new developer to XOOPS, my php/sql skills are miniscule when compared to mith and so many more here, but I'm more then willing to help out with the little that I can!

Draven
  • 2004/10/26 19:16

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

Certainly everything you've mentioned Rick is completely doable, with enough time and the proper people doing it.

Your ideas are very interesting, I'll continue to monitor this thread and see what develops. This project may be something I can contribute to in way of Module or Theme design.

Rickb
  • 2004/10/26 19:18

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

kaotik wrote:
Hi Rickb
Let me start by saying that mozilla rocks! Mozilla used to be my preferred browser, now it's firefox :)
I'm a new developer to XOOPS, my php/sql skills are miniscule when compared to mith and so many more here, but I'm more then willing to help out with the little that I can!

Hi Kaotik,

I thank you for your interest and wanting to help. Please go to our development site and register. I will create a private project folder for you where we can collaborate on development issues.

Our Mozilla exhibits will show the features that is built into each product. You have made Firefox your favorite because of the developed modules donated by others. These modules / extension continues to breath enhancements and often a better Firefox. This is also true to a lesser degree in Mozilla suite because of less choices of extensions.

Extensions are first being created for Firefox than are being migrated to the Mozilla suite. This is because the official Firefox is gearing up for it first public release and all effort is going to the Firefox development. It is most likely that all version of the Mozilla builds will benefit from these extensions - which includes Netscape.

You control and choose which mods you want. One click of the mouse and you may enable or disable a mod / extension or completely uninstall it. I wish many CMSs were as easy as this.

It is the culure within the development team which decides how things will function, behave and look. It has nothing to do with funding, it requires a kind of philosophical way of thinking and creating. Like anything else, some of us are better at balancing design verses function and creating human interfacings than others. What is difficult for some, is easy for others.

The Mozilla project is at:
http://eiproject.net/phpbb2_dev/index.php

See you there,

Rick

Mithrandir

Elaborating a bit on my "concerns" I simply meant that I will need a little more practical example of, how such an extension could be like.

Do you mean things like theme and template development in the Mozilla Composer? Making Mozilla Composer an IDE for manipulating the HTML (and Smarty code) in these templates? If so, then it is not so much XOOPS, you should collaborate with, but Smarty as we use their technology for these themes and templates.

Or an extension for inserting XoopsCodes (like phpBB's bbcode) in text fields?

If I am getting the wrong end of the stick, do correct me - I am anxious to learn, what you have in mind

Jan304
  • 2004/10/27 19:05

• Jan304

• Official Support Member

• Since: 2002/3/31

Quote:
Or an extension for inserting XoopsCodes (like phpBB's bbcode) in text fields?

Such thing already exists:
http://jedbrown.net/mozilla/extensions/#BBCode

Login

Who's Online

232 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 232

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits