Jackwan
attributes for templates_c and cache subdirectory
  • 2004/10/23 16:47

• Jackwan

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/9/8 2

What is the proper attributes for these two subdirectory?

On my test site, I turned on the php debug and templates update options. And found that XOOPS is failed attempting write to these two directories. I changed the attributes to 775 and its not reliefed. Only when I changed it to 777, all the writing errors disappeared.

My question: Should I change the attributes of these two subdirectories on my production? What is the impact on securities?

Stewdio
Re:attributes for templates_c and cache subdirectory
  • 2004/10/23 16:55

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

There will be no impact on security for CHMODing these directories and is a requirement for XOOPS to run.

You will find this in almost every script and is secure so long as you use the directory as it was intended for that script. You would never place executable code that was not intended for the script in that directory for obvious reasons. That of course would be your responsibility and not the script creator.

Dave_L
Re: attributes for templates_c and cache subdirectory
  • 2004/10/23 16:58

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Those two directories, along with the /uploads directory, must be writable by Xoops. Typically that requires 777 permissions, since typically the web server runs under an anonymous user such as "nobody", rather than as the owner of the files. In some cases you can get by with more restrictive permissions.

sugarflower
  • 2004/11/1 14:11

• sugarflower

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/1

I have a question < first timer here. I am using SmartFTP for the chmod ability since Dreamweaver doesn't (to my knowledge) have the ability to chmod files or folders.

However, I am having difficulties chmoding the folders (directories) of uploads, templates_c, and cache. Any input on how I can achieve this chmod of directories, since I will need to accomplish this to even continue my install wizard.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Stewdio
  • 2004/11/1 15:06

• Stewdio

sugarflower
  • 2004/11/1 15:44

• sugarflower

• Just popping in

I appologize. I failed to mention that I've searched and completed the tutorials on chmod via SmartFTP. The methods they cover still do not achieve the results I need to conitinue my install / config.

That's why I'm feeling kinda stuck because I feel I've researched this beyond what most newbies have, and yet I still cannot move on.

Any additional ideas?

Thanks again.

Stewdio
  • 2004/11/1 16:08

• Stewdio

I don't understand why your client is not letting you CHMOD directories. All you really need to do is right click and set the permissions.

Use a different FTP client if thats truly the case. No client is worth it's salt if it doesn't have this basic functionality.

It's also possible your host is not letting you set permissions for some reason, so you may need to get in touch with them on that issue.

sugarflower
  • 2004/11/1 16:13

• sugarflower

• Just popping in

I hate to download yet another FTP client. But I will if that's what it takes.

I actually spoke to an online support agent from myhosting.com and they were unable to help. They ended up at least knowing what FTP and 'chmod' were. But they recommended I email myhosting.com support. So I did.

In the mean time, can you recommend another free FTP client that is similar to SmartFTP?

Stewdio
  • 2004/11/1 16:34

• Stewdio

I've never used SmartFTP, but they are all the same when it comes to uploading and downloading files, jus tth einterface is different. I myself use FlashFXP. BulletProof FTP is another good one and so is CuteFTP, a fairly popular choice.

sugarflower
  • 2004/11/1 16:42

• sugarflower

• Just popping in

I actually downloaded CuteFTP, one I remember from my early days of web discovery.

Come to find out, the right click > Properties/Chmod worked like a charm. I've refreshed my XOOPS wizard and it got a green instead of a red!

I'm extrememly happy. Why I thought to be so fixed on SmartFTP I will never know. It seems to be a decent ftp client, but my guess is the chmod feature for folders is not available in the release I downloaded. Who knew?

Thanks for all your help and advice. You guys are very knowledgable; please know that us newbs definitely appreciate the time you take to explain (and re-explain) things.

Thanks again....and off I go continuing my install:)

Login

Who's Online

223 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 223

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits