Alexxus
Re: ShortURLs 0.3 just released!
  • 2004/9/5 7:34

• Alexxus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/2 1

Before today I also think that incompatibility with xoopspartners it's problem, but really it isn't.

So, just add this line at the begining of xoopspartners/index.php:

$start = $_GET['start'];

As you see, it's not a hack problem, it's module bug connected with "register_globals" param.

ManXP
Re: ShortURLs 0.3 just released!
  • 2004/9/11 20:20

• ManXP

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/8/14

Hm, as i see, project is dead, no more new releases i think :(

reynaldo
Hello Folks! :-)
  • 2004/10/17 9:21

• reynaldo

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/13

Hello,

Sorry I haven't had much time lately to continue developing this hack. I've found a lot of discussion regarding this hack if it works, it if doesn't work, if it increases your pagerank, etc.. etc..

I'll try to summarize:

a) It works!, I'm using it and a lot of other webmasters are using it too.

b) It does have problems with more than 90% of the modules out there. Most of these problems are caused by incorrect coding or because some modules/templates do not follow Xoops/HTML guidelines.

c) You can get it to work with almost every module, but you have to be mentally prepared to edit the non-working-module templates to fix incorrect references to images/paths. Some modules (like News module from Xoops) work without any problem.

d) It DOES NOT INCREASE PageRank. No module/hack can increase pageranking for you. PageRanking is a Google measure of the popularity of a page. It is based in a lot of factors, specially, how many sites/pages are linking to your site, their pagerank, and how many outgoing links they have besides yours. The only way to get a higher PageRank is by getting (directly or indirectly) more sites to link to yours.

e) I never promised this hack would increase PageRank. I said it could *help* your pages getting indexed by the search engines ( you can check my first post). At the time I first started using it, Google was the only search engine indexing dynamic URLs, and even Google takes its time to index a dynamic site because they don't want to overload your database server asking for 300 Urls/Sec.

f) It is true that if you install this hack and later decide to stop using it, you could get a lot of 404 errors. But it is also true that those 404 errors are from people coming to your site from urls indexed by Search Engines *because* of the hack. Most of those urls probably wouldn't have been indexed if the hack wasn't used at first place.

g) I haven't tested it with newer XOOPS versions. The only version I tested with was 2.0.6, I'll test it with newer versions soon.

h) I think bbpixel.com is using a modified version of this hack. They haven't contacted me but it seems it is working perfectly for them.

i) I saw somewhere a version 0.7 for download, this shocked me as I don't remember releasing another version after 0.4, LOL . In fact, the last version I was working on, had a 0.5 on it.

I'll make my best to continue working on this hack, but if there is another developer who would like to continue working on it, I'll be more than glad as long as he/she share the credits.

As always, please feel free to share your questions u opinions.

ManXP
Re:ShortURLs hack
  • 2004/10/30 18:52

• ManXP

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/8/14

Yes, i am using modified had which is compatible with XOOPS 2.0.7.3 too athttp://www.soft-news.net

sbkiller
Re:ShortURLs hack
  • 2004/10/30 20:36

• sbkiller

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/9 2

This is a cool hack but any shortcut for me. I don't think I'm going through all the 250+ reply in the topics.

Thx.

tl
Re: Hello Folks! :-)
  • 2004/10/30 21:39

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Quote:
i) I saw somewhere a version 0.7 for download, this shocked me as I don't remember releasing another version after 0.4, LOL . In fact, the last version I was working on, had a 0.5 on it.

Well, that is me and I put 0.7 version to it. I think I got the version number from this thread. I took the liberty of adding your most recent version of the files and make it available for download. I hope you are not annoyed by my doing that.

I used the hack for almost a month and then took it off. It worked with most of the standard XOOPS modules. As of glitches, majority of them are related to Admin side. A few modifications would make it work.

The reason of taking it off is not because it is not working, but that I got Google crawle my contents twice on the same contents, one by the ShortURL and one by regular URL (coming from a RSS feed). I am fraid that in long-term I might got penalized for 2 urls for same content, so I took it off.

tl
  • 2004/10/31 19:04

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Reynaldo:
Is it possible to exclude modules/system in the following rendering codes?

global $PHP_SELF;

$current_path preg_replace("/(.*)/.*.php.*/i""\1/\2"$PHP_SELF);
//    $s .= "n<!-- current_path: $current_path -->n";

$dirs_list explode("/"$current_path);

$dirs_list implode("-"$dirs_list);

$dirs_list trim($dirs_list,"-");

$dirs_list .= "+";

$dirs_list eregi_replace("modules-""m-",$dirs_list);
//    $s .= "n<!-- dirs: $dirs_list -->n";

It seems that most of the ShortURL problems with standard modules are related to admin side. Many relative URL would just rendered as something like the following (just an example, this shows after click directly on System Admin with the javascript) :
/+admin+fct-blocksadmin-op-edit-bid-4.html

It was transformed without the module name.

tl

adigit
  • 2004/11/17 8:12

• adigit

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/5 8

Can some tell me why I got blank page after installing ShortURL 0.4?

How to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot!

ewonline
Re: ShortURLs hack
  • 2004/11/23 2:24

• ewonline

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/11/17

ShortURL doesnt work on my site with XCGAL and NewBB 2.0 RC3.

ewonline
Re: ShortURLs hack
  • 2004/11/23 2:25

• ewonline

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/11/17

ShortURL doesnt work on my site with XCGAL and NewBB 2.0 RC3.

Login

Who's Online

225 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 225

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits