2BNot
Is XOOPS a good fit for my ambitious project?
  • 2004/10/17 4:23

• 2BNot

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/17

I know a lot would need to be custom coded, but I would like to get a feel for how well XOOPS matches the following requirements before spending months in development.

My vision/hope:

10,000 users belonging to one community. The main community web site would be centrally run and have official news, galleries, calendar, and pages. It would also have forums that the entire community would participate in.

Each member of the community would have their own individual web site. Each individual web site would have it's own U.I./customized theme and be administered by that user through a web based administration system.

The individual site would have it's own news, galleries, calendar, pages, membership areas and forums (that members of the overall community could join using their existing community accounts).

The individual sites would need to be locked down to restrict the modules/functionality members could access.

Users would access their individual sites using a specific path, a subdomain, or their own domain name.

Information such as news, events, and important forum posts should be able to be propogated from the main community web site to the individual web sites based on selectable criteria. The same sort of information should be able to bubble up to the community web site from individual web sites through some sort of approval process (maybe human administrators or automatically via points/karma).

Ability to spread the load across physical and possibly virtual servers would be required to allow the community to grow. How would this need affect the XOOPS installation?

Beyond the general community site and the individual sites, there also exists the need to have team web sites. Team web sites would have the same features that are found in individual sites, but be focused on the needs of the team members. Team members would use their existing community user accounts (seamless login across the entire community and levels of web sites).

Has anyone attempted anything like this before? For those very familiar with the XOOPS architecture, does XOOPS seem like a good match with these requirements? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

-)----- B

intel352
Re:Is XOOPS a good fit for my ambitious project?
  • 2004/10/17 4:36

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

well, XOOPS can easily support that number of members, but as for the multiple mini-sites, there's not yet a comprehensive addon to support that.

also, what you're suggesting would require that XOOPS have more system-level access (using a minisite addon, if it existed) to create the needed subdomains, and it would need to be specific to your setup. this sounds like a job that you should hire a programmer for.

i would suggest using XOOPS as a base, since it's already an excellent CMS with group/user management and whatnot, and is stable. then either recruit a php dev from http://www.scriptlance.com or someone from here (the xoops.org community. i know we have several talented devs-for-hire here, but they're often busy)

also, if you want to give back to the community, then once the dev is done creating the addon that you require, you could release it as a GPL module for XOOPS

hopefully others will have more suitable ideas for ya tho

intel352
  • 2004/10/17 4:38

• intel352

• Module Developer

and btw, XOOPS has modules for news, galleries, calendars, pages (not userpages, yet, as i already said), and forums, so we got ya covered there

Herko
  • 2004/10/17 9:59

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

check out http://www.nabuur.com, which is pretty much close to what you want, and powered by a modified XOOPS.

Herko

intel352
  • 2004/10/17 18:03

• intel352

• Module Developer

herko, is that a teaser or do they have the files available for download anywhere?

Herko
  • 2004/10/17 18:09

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

bd_csmc, it's a teaser alright. I haven't had the time to take their files apart and make something presentable of it yet. Sorry about that, but since it's all in Dutch, most of you won't uunderstand the changes they have made...

Herko

2BNot
  • 2004/10/18 21:50

• 2BNot

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/17

Thank you for the information. I've been a web developer since '96 (mostly Intranets) and have had this vision for a real long time now. I've been going through various OSS to see which would be the best code base to begin with, but with so many it is hard to get a feel for each one. So I'm starting to post to each projects' experts for some insight.

Also thanks for the hire references (as I will hopefully be able to bring someone on to help) and that teaser site. It looks really nice. Herko, do you have any rough estimate on when that code might be contributed?

-)----- B

Login

Who's Online

397 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 397

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits