freetek
RSS Feed & Backend.php Linking and Auto-Detection
  • 2004/10/13 17:40

• freetek

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/26

I am using Mozilla Firefox (browser) with the Sage extension (feed agregator) which has a cool little function that will parse through a page and look for the RSS feed. I found that it doesn't work with XOOPS sites or at least not on mine and XOOPS.org.

I'm not sure if what I am suggesting is proper XHTML but this hack works for the feed auto detection now. I just added the line below to the head theme.html but it should probably be more part of the core than a theme level hack.

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS2" href="<{$xoops_url}>/backend.php" />

ackbarr
Re: RSS Feed & Backend.php Linking and Auto-Detection

I'm not familiar with the sage extension, but in Firefox 1.0PR the RSS link shows up for me in the bottom right on xoops.org using the following tag:
<link rel="alternate" type="application/xml" title="RSS" href="https://xoops.org/backend.php" />

freetek
Re:RSS Feed & Backend.php Linking and Auto-Detection
  • 2004/10/13 18:02

• freetek

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/26

Hmm... you're right. Not sure why it doesn't work in the Sage implementation. I think Sage looks through the source for a file like *.xml or *.rdf but it gets tripped up because XOOPS uses backend.php. From personal experience I don't think linking to a PHP script is as common as linking to an XML file.

ackbarr
Re:RSS Feed & Backend.php Linking and Auto-Detection

well perhaps it is the type attribute that is 'gumming up the works', maybe it expects the feeds to be served as application/rss+xml

Login

Who's Online

131 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 131

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits