navanywhere
Re: Loving Xoops and Learning the Setup

I really need to have some of my members share modules with myself and each other but have separate access rights and separate general website visitor access to these modules. I looked up this prospect and found an article on cloning modules. This seems to be the only way to do this with XOOPS for now, but it is too complicated for my schedule right now.

I guess that I will have to make one member the admin of certain modules that I setup and give them access rights to this module exclusively. Then for the other members Link up WF-sections for them and give them access to the article sections that WF-sections allows them to access.

I wanted to set up a group, assign a member to that group and assign modules access rights to that group. I also wanted that group's area look different than the rest of the main CMS. I wanted these separate groups to have their own Homepage, business presentation area links, News, forum, polls, contact forms, e-commerce module, etc. But I also wanted these separate groups to show links to the main CMS sites Homepage, forum, news, etc.

My partners and I really need this kind of CMS setup, but as we are new to CMS development we will use whatever works at this stage.

navanywhere

When I try to add Module Admin rights in the Groups settings I can't give Module Admin rights to a group unless they have at least one System Admin right. Why is that the case?

Will_H
  • 2004/10/10 19:20

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

I am also a new user... and it seems to me that without using the customizable mudules (i.e. wf_"") the only other option is to clone the mudules you want to allow certain members admin too.... by doing this you still maintain some degree of security... as far as the look and feel differing between your users... you can simply drop in a few themes... edit a couple css files... and allow your users to select which theme they want... But like I said I am also a new member and am having some "why can't I do this" issues as well. Hope it works out for you:)

navanywhere

Quote:

Biteronboard wrote:
I am also a new user... and it seems to me that without using the customizable mudules (i.e. wf_"") the only other option is to clone the mudules you want to allow certain members admin too.... by doing this you still maintain some degree of security... as far as the look and feel differing between your users... you can simply drop in a few themes... edit a couple css files... and allow your users to select which theme they want... But like I said I am also a new member and am having some "why can't I do this" issues as well. Hope it works out for you:)

I had a bad experience with another CMS tool and that brought me to Xoops. The other CMS tool was just too manual for me at this point. With XOOPS even if you don't have worry about editing php code just to get my site to function. I am aware that you have to know how to code with php to get beyond the limits of the CMS database tools. I am learning php and I am glad that XOOPs is stable enough for me to play around with coding existing modules and themes.

But that's a while off now as my work gives me little time to even attempt at playing with php code.

navanywhere

I also have to say that you guys rock! I mean you are really helpful and I haven't gotten a tip that directed me to code in basic features or edit a config file just to get something simple done. The XOOPS doc's are great, the XOOPS members are great. As I said I'm loving this!

Draven
Re:Loving Xoops and Learning the Setup
  • 2004/10/11 0:26

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

The XOOPS team is certainly aware that more and more people are in need of WorkFlow management in XOOPS as our system creeps closer to being a CMS rather than a portal/community system (which is what XOOPS was/is).

For now, unless the module itself gives the ability to restrict sub levels within the module, it's and all or nothing kind of thing. Either they have access to all of the admin panel for the news module, for example, or none of it. There is always a work around, but some are complicated and not suggested to the novice. Just rest assured that we are working towards these features and your comments are not being ignored. But until these systems are in place, using the group system, and in some cases cloning modules, may be the only option.

Perhaps if you could detail exactly what the level of access you want to give, and to what modules you want to give it to, we can direct you a little better on a possible solution.

navanywhere

Quote:

Draven wrote:

For now, unless the module itself gives the ability to restrict sub levels within the module, it's and all or nothing kind of thing. Either they have access to all of the admin panel for the news module, for example, or none of it. There is always a work around, but some are complicated and not suggested to the novice. Just rest assured that we are working towards these features and your comments are not being ignored. But until these systems are in place, using the group system, and in some cases cloning modules, may be the only option.

Perhaps if you could detail exactly what the level of access you want to give, and to what modules you want to give it to, we can direct you a little better on a possible solution.

I am setting up my XOOPS website using these Modules:

- Home
-News
-Polls
-Forum
-Enterprise-x
-Contact us
-Counter
-Shop
-WF-Section
-Edito
-Members

I intend to setup user groups for two businesses. I will use WF-Section to allow these groups to edit their own Blocks of articles. I will give one user group that is my business partner limited access to Admin "Comments" as I was not able to allow a user group to have Admin rights to edit a Module without giving them one form of access to the Sys Admin. This user will control the Enterprise-X Module. I will give these two users their own areas on the Forum. I'm not quite sure how to mix in the Edito Module for all of the members. I'm also looking for a Module that will allow the other Member to schedule and plan events for their clients who are Registered Users.

The other Modules I will manage and add articles to the News section from to of the Members with Module Admin rights. I wish that I knew how to create a workflow with a Mod for storing these users articles in an organized and scheduled manner for deployment later.

The Shopping Module will be managed by myself and I will need a Module that will let the members with Modules Admin rights upload product pictures, comments, pricing info, etc to specific categories for later retrieval and implementation by myself.

I want to keep everything simple right now. I hope that this description of my XOOPS site makes sense.

navanywhere

Ok, now I want to get at the Enterprise-x module's forms and edit the php files to adjust it's form content to suite my sites needs. Can someone point me to the right forum or resource that will help me to do this? Can I make simple adjustments to the form text comments without messing up the code of the php? Thanks.

navanywhere

I'm reading the licensing info on the Enterprise-x module and I see that it can't be used in a business model as such.

Well thaere goes that idea.

Login

Who's Online

212 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 212

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits