ScubaAddict
News Block Module?

Is there a module to allow you to put news stories in other pages with the same formatting that they have in the news module?

rcjohnson
Re:News Block Module?
  • 2004/10/8 17:50

• rcjohnson

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/23

Its not exactly a module, but an inherent feature to the XOOPS system. If you check your administration panel, in the System Admin icon, select "blocks", you'll see all the different ones available to the system. When you click on a block to edit it, The block administration page will come up. On this page, you'll see a "Visible In" category, with a list of all the pages on your XOOPS portal. Hold down the CTL button to select which pages the block you are editing should appear in.

You'll also want to make sure your groups have access rights to the block. Check System Admin | Groups to view module/block permissions.

Hope that helps.

ScubaAddict

rcjohnson -

I don't know if you are on the same track that I am trying to go down.

In the news module, the news is displayed - or each story teaser with 'read more' links etc.

I want the news to appear this same way, but on the home page (index.php).

I do not want to set the news as my home page - I have it this way already, and the layout I want just doesn't work the way I want it to - So I need a block that will display news on index.php the same way that it appears in /modules/news/

Is there a module that does this? The XOOPS system does not have an option to put news blocks on the index page (only a series of links to news stores) - unless I am not finding it - but I am pretty sure.

Poekie
  • 2004/10/8 18:19

• Poekie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/15

It is not yet possible alas. This is a flaw of Xoops, I think: a lot of users (including me) want what you describe. It is possible to have users redirect to the news module, but this has disadvantages, like that the news module is bookmarked (instead of just www.domain.com). And the shorturl hack doesn't work :(

Hopefully it is possible in the future.

ScubaAddict

To clarify why it is a problem for me to have my news module as the homepage, I have this setup CURRENTLY on the news module:

1. Custom welcome block (center-top)
2. Last Posts to the message boards (center-middle)
3. News stories (center bottom)

This is the way I want it to look, but this creates a big usability issue:

1. If a user clicks on a topic icon, they are taken to what looks like the exact same page because the Custom block and last posts are at the top - to them, they do not notice that they have changed pages unless they scroll down the page.

I would like to have the home page (index.php) display a few like above, and if they select a topic, they are take to the news module with only the topics listed (not the custom block and forum posts block).

Does this make more sense?

Login

Who's Online

247 user(s) are online (180 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 247

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits