biomech
Certain-Users-Only Forum?
  • 2004/9/29 16:36

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/2/25

I want to make a forum where only certain users can post, but which can be read by everyone. I've looked around in my admin panel and couldn't find anything, and also done some searching here without any luck.

Is there any way to create a group and then create a new forum and set permissions on it so that only members of the new group can post? At the moment I see only 3 categories by which posting can be restricted:

- anonymous/unrestricted
- registered users ony
- moderators/admins only

I want to set up my own group of people and have only members of that group be able to post to a specific forum.

Suggestions?

-b-

sbkiller
Re: Certain-Users-Only Forum?
  • 2004/9/29 18:19

• sbkiller

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/9 2

Go into your forums admin area and click edit one of the forum. You will see there's a list of all members.

Add the member you wish he/her has the permission to access certain control at the forum.

biomech
  • 2004/9/29 23:40

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

When I go to edit a forum, I see a list of users I can choose to add as moderators - not a list of users I can see to just give write access to. Is the only solution to this problem to make a forum with 100 moderators?

-b-

sbkiller
  • 2004/9/30 0:05

• sbkiller

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/9 2

lol,

Well you can't for now.

libervis
  • 2004/9/30 0:32

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/4 1

That's easy man.. if i understand you correctly

You create a special group of people in the groups admin of the system module.

Create a new group with the same permissions as registered members. Then in the forum admin, edit the forum and give only that new group the permission to post reply's and open threads.
Everyone that you want to be able to post in that particular forum you just add to that new group and he will automatically be able to post at that forum while everybody else wont.

If you use NEWBB 2 RC1 it is really easy.

I hope you understand me.

So, create a new group and assign only to that group the permissions to open threads and post in newbb2 while editing that particula forum.

Daniel

biomech
  • 2004/9/30 2:45

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks for the help - I'm trying to follow you here...

Quote:

Create a new group with the same permissions as registered members.

Done.

Quote:
Then in the forum admin, edit the forum and give only that new group the permission to post reply's and open threads.

I'm not sure where to do that. When I click on the Forum module icon and click Edit Forum, and then select a Forum to edit, I get a screen with these options:

- Delete this forum
- Forum Name
- Forum Description
- Moderators
- Category
- Access Level
- Type
- Allow HTML
- Allow Signatures
- Hot Topic Threshold
- Posts per Page
- Topics per Forum

The "Access Level" option has a dropdown listbox where I can select one of only 3 options: Anonymous posting, Registered users only, and Moderators/Administrators only. I don't see my newly created group anywhere. Am I using the same control panel as you I wonder... (I'm using XOOPS 2.0.7).

Thanks for your help,

-b-

Login

Who's Online

215 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 215

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits