PayPalNuke
Re: PayPal module
  • 2004/9/11 17:34

• PayPalNuke

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/26

Any news on the port..? I have a few people breathing down my neck right now.. ;-p

Arowana
  • 2004/9/28 14:41

• Arowana

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/8/6 2

Is this dead or what?

This is what I got going on here.

I want to start a new site well I want to add a feature to one of my sites using xDirectory where people list stuff and others pay to search it. I am ina bit of a pickle. I have this paypalnuke for PHP-PUKE but I HATE PHP-PUKE. I dont even know if they have something like xDirectory for PHP-PUKE.

So has anyone taken the steps to do this? I would be willing to pay someone to do this for me but last time I did that I kind got screwed on the deal. I found out that anything that has be developed for XOOPS has to be released as GPL. That is another debate that I have to read up on.

Anywayscan someone confirm or deny this is being worked on?
Thanks

intel352
  • 2004/9/28 14:59

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

i've been unable to touch the files as yet. sorry maurice, but i've had more important personal projects crop up, and i also have herko requesting xdonations be updated with more features, so i'm trying to keep up with my own personal sites as well as projects like xdonations

@arowana- if you paid to have a module created, or even did the work yourself, you do *not* have to release the work publicly, and even if you do release it, whether or not you have to release it as GPL is up for debate. many will say it must be GPL, others are uncertain, and others believe you can do what you want with it. i've not seen a lawyer post on this subject as relates specifically to XOOPS though, so i would suggest that as long as any module that you create or pay to have created is *not* based on GPL code, then you can license it however you want

just be prepared for an outcry from some people that want everything for free or with a GPL-only license.

i support GPL, but i also support the right of someone to protect their work. keep in mind though, gpl-licensed code isn't required to be free.

anyways, i'm back working on xdonations again, and i hope to add at least a small purchase feature to the module (current goals are multiple currency implementation, which is in testing, and groups support)

BTW: looks like xdonations with Group support would be what you need, i hope to have something working soon. experience with the groups features in XOOPS is something i'm weak on, though, which is why i keep putting it off

Arowana
  • 2004/9/28 21:55

• Arowana

• Friend of XOOPS

All I can say is if this is the case it sucks because of this person I was not able to release a module I knew everyone would love. Then he took the code he dev with my idea and changed the name only to say it was a spin off and I just paid him for his time not the code.

All I can say is if you work for a company and they are paying you for your time to dev for them are they paying for your time or the code or BOTH? After all it was one of my ideas and it cost quite a bit to get this done only to feel ripped off in the end.

lavaburst
  • 2004/9/28 22:26

• lavaburst

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/13

Quote:

All I can say is if you work for a company and they are paying you for your time to dev for them are they paying for your time or the code or BOTH? After all it was one of my ideas and it cost quite a bit to get this done only to feel ripped off in the end.

really does sound like you have this problem alot.

We agreed on 4 hours of work to create a module which you have for download on your site. One word of advice, if you let people download the module without requiring registering, you are more apt to receive donations.

I plan on working on some kind of paypal module, as soon as i get a good idea on whats extactly needed with a paypal module.

Cheers,

LavaBurst

Arowana
  • 2004/9/28 22:42

• Arowana

• Friend of XOOPS

actually I was not even talking about a XOOPS module or you. I believe we worked through out differences and you and I are cool. I was talking about a module for PHP-PUKE.

Sorry for your confussion.

Thanks I will try that!

Also are you ever going to send back the code of xCredits or since you decided to have your own version, should I look for someone else to finish it for me?

Just wanted to know thanks

intel352
  • 2004/9/28 23:03

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

lava, xdonations is a paypal donation module, with intentions to implement purchase support, etc... if you would like to begin work on a paypal module, why not join the xdonations dev team at dev.xoops.org? i always welcome more help.

JasonMR
  • 2004/9/28 23:09

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

If one is interested in hiring a developer to realize ones ideas, both need to layout the exact terms of the commercial exchange that is to take place, and brought into wording, for later consultation and dispute resolution.

If you don't ask for this as the client of a developer, you as a client will most likely feel ripped off.
If you don't ask for this as a developer taking on contract work, you will likely feel ripped off.

So, if we sit together and discuss a cooperation effort, then following the verbal exchange, we have to write it all down - create a contract.

Then comes the step of agreeing on this contract. Only then should work commence, under the stated conditions.

This prevents the above. Why should someone paying a developer to realize an idea (which is not much, there are 6 billion people on this planet, that makes a lot of ideas), expect to then be the owner of the code, when this had never been stated?

To draw an analogy: you go to a restaurant and order a meal, do you expect to be given the recipe and have ownership owner it?

What we can conclude from this analogy is: everything has its price.
You may expect the recipe, but then you will have to come to a special agreement with the resteraunt owner and the chef. Again, this will cost you money.
You go to a coder, and ask him to spend time to create a this module for you, that fulfils a certain purpose, you expect to receive that module, just as you expect in a restaraunt to be served a meal. You want to be able to use that module in its purpose, just as you also want to eat the meal you have been served. Though you DON'T OWN THE CODE! Just as you DON'T OWN THE RECIPE!

I hope people pay more attention to this. Taking money for development purposes is a commercial activity, and therefore has to ad hear to the rules and principals of commerce. The most basic principal, is that of contractual exchange.

Just my 5 cents.

Arowana
  • 2004/9/28 23:42

• Arowana

• Friend of XOOPS

Mine was more like I went to the chef and I told him how I wanted it to taste, I told him the texture I wanted, I told him that it was not a free receipe to give out and I wanted to try and get some of my money back, he AGREED. We also agreed that anything over my original investment I would split with him so he could earn more money from it in the long run.

Then he cooked this meal I sampled it and approved it. Next I tried to sell it to the next resturant only to find out that the Chef that I hired to create this non free meal changed the order the it was prepared which changed the receipe and gave it away for free. He called it a spin off of it so he could freely ruin my chances of getting any of my money back. All because he wanted the fame of people knowing he did it.

Then he continues to bash me and my ways behind my back and calling my receipes knock offs yet giving me the credit of the idea in the things he does. So before anyone has anything to say about this know that you don't know the whole story. I do have to thank him because without him doing what he did I would have still been on PHP-Puke.

Thank You XOOPERS!

lavaburst
  • 2004/9/29 0:57

• lavaburst

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/13

Quote:

bd_csmc wrote:
lava, xdonations is a paypal donation module, with intentions to implement purchase support, etc... if you would like to begin work on a paypal module, why not join the xdonations dev team at dev.xoops.org? i always welcome more help.

Sounds interesting... i need a paypal module for something like this.

my name is hyperpod on the dev.xoops.org, I can add anything you need.

What is next to develop on this module?

Cheers,

LavaBurst

Login

Who's Online

195 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 195

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits