rabideau
Pause for a moment and reflect...
  • 2004/9/9 19:02

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

Please note that the following message is not intended as a political statement but rather a human statement.

I know that this is not normal fare for our site and work but I hope that we might take a brief moment to reflect on the world outside XOOPS.

Late on 7 September 2004, yet another terrible milestone was passed: the death toll of US troops in Iraq reached 1000 (additionally another 121 Coalition Forces have died in this conflict). This comes on top of at least 12,000 Iraqi civilian deaths, and over 7,000 American and Coalition forces wounded. The total number of Iraqi wounded is unknown; the number of Iraqi military dead is estimated at approximately 100,000; the damage to Iraq and those directly affected by the war is incalculable.

It is my hope that we would not let this milestone pass without a statement of grief, and a moment of reflection, for our lost brothers and sisters in the human family, and a solemn message to the world that the cost of war is immeasurable.

If you are so inclined, I would hope that you might pause for a moment and pray for (or reflect upon) all those who have died and suffered in this war, as well as all others.

Anonymous
Re: Pause for a moment and reflect...
  • 2004/9/9 19:09

• Anonymous

• Since:

I agree.

Resized Image

DonXoop

Agreed however the milestones mean little to me. Numbers and its apparent meaning are arbitrary. I was sickened by the first death and getting sicker with each one. And it makes no difference which side said what do make the other point the finger and pull the trigger and other destructive nonsense.

So 1,000 die, 10,000 die, numbers this way and that. How many didn't die but have left body parts, childhood, innocence, goodwill, good intentions, morality, emotions, and future in the bloody sand? They will live to die another day.

Like taxes and how every penny becomes taxes eventually, the life's of many people are expendable and each one is eventually consumed by another's hate and greed.

No matter how much time passes and history is rewritten, they are all still fscking dead. If we continue this way....

"Hate and war really sucks but living always sucks less"

"If you tell the truth you'll have less to remember"

scorpy01
  • 2004/9/15 22:34

• scorpy01

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/13

Yes, we should all reflect on this.

I live on street that is named for a young man from here who died in WWII; three other streets are named for the other three teens who died in that war. I'd never thought much about them until my mom pointed out that they grew up during the depression, hungry and wanting, were sent to war right out of high school and never go to realize the abundance that the rest of our country experienced.

My neighbor survived the Bataan Death March. When debate springs up over whether we were right or wrong to have dropped the bomb he becomes passionate. He says those who say we were wrong didn't see what he saw.

My cousin left a leg in Bosnia in 1999. He was there to defeat Milosevic, an evil man by any standards. He's proud of the battles he fought there, even though his injury occured during his "peace-keeping" tour.

My dear friend, Mike, lost his son (who went to school with one of my sons) just a few months ago in an ambush in Iraq. I saw him a few weeks ago and he was obviously sad but talked about how proud he was of his son. He mentioned another friend who recently lost a son to a drug overdose and commented that he's grateful that his own child died honorably. As the mother of a drug addict, I understood that so well.

We used to fight communism at every corner, in every country. We beleived in liberty and the rights of the people. Our soldiers have died fighting for the liberation of many countries. This war in Iraq is not that much different. People are oppressed and we, as the richest, most powerful nation, have an obligation to step in.

I suppose there are those who believe we have done more harm than good, that we're there "for the oil," that we should take care of our own people here at home. I can't speak of the oil, I believe we get most of ours from South America. As for the harm we've done or our own problems, I just know that defeating Hitler had nothing to do with our own economic depression and though lives were lost, we did more good than harm.

I know VietNam is still controversial but Iraq is nothing like that at this point. If you want to compare Viet Nam to something (not that you did), compare it to our War on Drugs. It's a losing battle that's gone on far too long with a death toll that is beyond counting.

Please understand, I have 5 sons so if this war continues, the draft could be reinstated and one of my boys could be called up. It may seem like a long shot but to a mother, it is all too real. I'm not anxious to send any of my kids into battle. However, I know that there are dangers today that didn't exist when I was young. I know that any of my kids could fall victim to these dangers. If I must lose one of my children, I pray that it is in a noble and honorable endeavor such as fighting for the liberty of the opressed. Perhaps my views on the US involvement in Iraq is colored by my need to believe that we are there for good reason, just in case one of my own boys ends up there.

Sorry for the length of this. I just wanted you and others to understand that many of us who support the war have nothing to gain from it financially. We may be naive but some of us still believe in the ideals of our forefathers, that all people are entitled to certain inalienable rights - and that those who have them should help others to achieve them.

Okay, I'll slink away and go learn more about XOOPS now.....

Marisa

YourHelp
  • 2004/9/16 14:47

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

War is not something I worship its something that I wreckon shouldn’t happen in the first place. Yes god bless those who died for us! I hope to Christ that future generations will not sign up it’s a waste of life. Make love not war. Now As my grandpa would say in this convo and good man he was............ :

Resized Image

Stewdio
  • 2004/9/16 14:51

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

YH, that reminds of when I asked the Chef yesterday what the soup of the day was. His response "Cream of ask me again and I'll kick you in the *XOOPS*"

After being asked the same question 5 million times, I guess I would respond that way too! lol

War is bad, peace is good, yadayadayada. Pass the peanuts please.

YourHelp
  • 2004/9/16 14:55

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

I like peanuts especially the ones with the salt on them ya know them sort stew?

Stewdio
  • 2004/9/16 14:59

• Stewdio

I don't think I'll go there...

YourHelp
  • 2004/9/16 15:02

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

CRIKEY MATE what sort of nuts are you thinking about...... im talking about the BAR NUTS the ones you buy with your there heaven especialy on football night. Different nuts in Canada aye?

Stewdio
  • 2004/9/16 15:03

• Stewdio

lol, your sooo easy!

Login

Who's Online

243 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 243

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits