Nick_W
Protecting Downloads - Possible?
  • 2004/9/15 5:55

• Nick_W

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/13

Hi all,

The permissions can be set so only one group of users may access downloads BUT what about direct linking to the files?

Is there a mod or hack to protect files?

I did find this, but .htaccess is a last resort for me: https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=13399&forum=20#forumpost53659

Many thanks...

Nick

MadFish
Re: Protecting Downloads - Possible?
  • 2004/9/15 6:16

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I think there is a 'prevent leeching' option in the MyDownloads control panel. Be warned that it displays a very unfriendly message when someone tries to download something directly, you might want to edit it.

My memory is a bit rusty...

Nick_W
  • 2004/9/15 6:46

• Nick_W

• Just popping in

That seems like a neat idea, i'd missed that one! Unfortunately it appears not to work?

I logged out, dumped all the cookies and even tried it in another browser but it was quite happy for me to go ahead and download the files.....?

thx

Nick

Nick_W
  • 2004/9/15 6:52

• Nick_W

• Just popping in

I see what the problem is, you have to specify sites that are allowed to link to your files including your own site. Which means that someone entereing (even a non registered user) http:/*/mysite.com/downloads/file.zip can get the file just fine....

What i'd really like is only authenticated registered users of the site to be able to access downloads....

Nick

Nick_W
  • 2004/9/15 6:57

• Nick_W

• Just popping in

If anyone here can either write, or show me the specific docs for creating just a simple PHP file that will authenticate a user I can write a hack for this with .htacces

I'd do the whole thing but im new to XOOPS and it'll take quite some time to get to grips with module writing i think...

The file would just have to return true if the user is registered (or part of a specified group) and false if not...

anyone...?

Nick

Login

Who's Online

441 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 441

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits