• 2004/9/11 5:47

• kenmcd

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/8 1

Wow.
A potential solution.
Thank you.

I am running PHP version 4.3.6 locally.
I'll have to check what they are running on SourceForge where I am having the problem.

Do you happen to know what the particular feature in PHP v4.3 versus PHP v4.1 is the cause of the problem?

Again, thank you for helping to try and find a solution for we lowly user slime.
And for helping to debug this popular module.

Community - what a concept.

kenmcd
WF-Section v2.0.1 and CVS v2.0.2 will not run on PHP 4.1.2
  • 2004/9/13 22:45

• kenmcd

• Just popping in

SourceForge is running PHP 4.1.2.
http://panhacks.sourceforge.net/phpinfo.php
WF-Section v2.0.x will apparently not run on this version of PHP.

Here are some other links discussing the same problem.
http://www.wf-projects.com/modules/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=418
http://www.wf-projects.com/modules/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=363

There must be a new PHP feature or setting required by WF-Section v2.0.x which is not in PHP 4.1.2.

Bender
Re: same problem with v2.0.1 and CVS v2.0.2
  • 2004/9/14 1:04

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

/begin rant

Quote:

kenmcd wrote:
[...]
Does everyone have to solve it on their own - 500 times.
Or can someone bless the unholy low-lifes like me with some discussion on what the problem is.

I posted this yesterday in the WF-Section web site forum.
At that time, I noticed there did not appear to be any responses to any posts for over a week.
Many older posts have no response ever.
And there is nothing there discussing this particular problem.

Well i am not a native english speaker but this sounds very much like a rant to me and i honestly don´t know why.

Quote:
Wow.
A potential solution.
Thank you.
[...]Again, thank you for helping to try and find a solution for we lowly user slime.
And for helping to debug this popular module.

Community - what a concept.

'lowly user slime'??? What are you talking about?
The information genese gave was already provided in your original thread on our site at that time.

I think you are talking about your only thread on our site which is this one:

http://www.wf-projects.com/modules/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=418&s=b48c931494975d1c15fb3dc8e351ca98

It was created on: Sep 10 2004, 09:52 AM
My reply was on: Sep 10 2004, 12:03 PM

That is nearly about 2 hours later. You did not respond to that post at all. So i really don´t know what you are ranting about.

Another reply by Liquid was posted about 12 hours later ...

In that post i already pointed to a thread about one part of the issue so yes regarding the garbage we are aware of the problem.

You are perfectly right that there are even postings on our site that are unanswered and everyone can see that. But feel free to check my profile and restate that all postings over one week got no answer.

Please accept that:

- we have a limited amount of people on the team
- not all (like me for example) are programers
- we have to set priorities and at this time WF-Sections 2.02 is the main priority as many people are waiting for a better working release. Which is why some more complex problems on other modules might not be answered currently. (Just a sidenote)

Quote:
Which is why I and others are posting here.

If you don't want anyone to try this out mod . . .
Why have a v2.0.1 available for download?
Why have a CVS with anonymous access?

What are people supposed to do with it? Please advise.

What are you talking about here? Why would we not have anyone try this module? Many people use 2.01 despite the bugs and they are aware of it. If you would take every module for XOOPS that has bugs off the public there would not be too much modules left.

What about cvs? People who feel ok with testing cvs versions have the chance to do this. Maybe you are talking about our cvs forum section i created where i stated not to expect responses and support for cvs versions. Well i was asked for cvs versions by several people who are unable to download those themselves. So i made them available as an archive for testing but setup some rules to make clear what to expect from those versions and what not. Advantage for us is that we get more error reports.

Again i don´t see the problem here.

Quote:

Perhaps there is another hapless user-scum out there who has
(1) already solved or identified this problem, and
(2) is nice enough to share their discovey.
Which would help out everyone, including the developers of this module.

No words ... maybe i got you wrong in which case i would apollogize but currently i am feeling a little bit p.....

Xoops has a great community compared to many other products and i see neither a point to rant about developers nor the community in general.

/end rant

kenmcd
  • 2004/9/14 1:47

• kenmcd

• Just popping in

My apologies for the tone - it was directed at another poster above who seemed to have a rather condescending tone that I thought was just rude and unhelpful.
And who appeared to be associated with the WF-Section project.

I do now see the replies in the wf-projects forum.
I had checked the option on each post to send me replies via email, but I received nothing.
I just checked my user settings on that forum - my notifications were set for PM (fixed now).
But, I didn't receive any PMs either (nothing in inbox, nothing in notifications).
So I'm not sure what happened there, the forum or email may not be working 100%.

Thanks for your replies and your concern.

With that said, there does appear to be some kind of real problem.
And I am definitely not the only one who has experienced this.
I don't know why SourceForge uses PHP 4.1.2, but they do and WF-Section 2.0.x
definitely has a problem with that version.
Hopefully this will help point to a solution.
If the WF-Sections group chooses to not support the older version of PHP that SourceForge runs
for whatever reason, let's just let people know that.

Xoops requirements in the install info say "PHP 4.1.0 and higher (4.3.4 recommended)"
The Requirements in the Wiki section does not specify a particular version but it does
mention that people seem to have problems on v4.1.2.
And recommends they use 4.3.4 and above.

For me the only problem is SourceForge.
Why they use that old version of PHP unknown to me.
Unfortunately that is the first place I tried XOOPS and WF-Section.
Any where else I have newer versions of PHP available.

I'll try version 1 on SF and see if it works.

Thanks.

JMorris
  • 2004/9/14 2:23

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Please forgive me for being dense, but exactly who might you be referring to? The only other people who posted that could even remotely be associated with WF-Projects is Liquid (wfsection), and myself. My only official affiliation with WF-Projects is that I use their modules, try to help others where I can with the module, and occasionally report bug if I find one.

Now, unless I'm being completely insensitive, and please forgive me if I am, I don't really see where anyone had been rude or unhelpful.

If you are referring to the following comments I made:
Quote:

If you would have looked to the right of my last message, you would have seen the link: Released Files

In the interest of saving you some time, here's the direct download link.

Also, a correction. The current stable version is 1.01, not 1.1. My apologies.

...perhaps you missed that I was using sarcasm in a fun-loving way. If this has offended you, I apologise.

Also, it might be important to note that I am not a developer, per say. I good with HTML and CSS and I'm picking up PHP, but I'm no expert. I'm just a guy trying to give a little back to a community that has given me a lot. Therefore, I don't have all the answers. I just try to point people in the best direction I can.

Regardless of what the initial cause was that set you off, I personally don't feel your comments were necessary. There are better ways of getting your point across. Nobody here has a superiority complex, that I've ever seen. We all pitch in to do what we can where we can. That's all we can do.

I hope that we can all end this issue now and get back to what brought us all here in the first place... Working together as a community to build up the best darn CMS there is.

BTW, thanks for the info on the PHP version problem. That's excellent info to know.

Catzwolf
  • 2004/9/14 8:38

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

All our software is normally developed on the latest stable releases of Php, MySQL and XOOPS etc. While I for one would love to have WF-Section backward compatible with every bit of software on the Internet, I know that this is just not possible, feasible or realistic and we can only develop software within those constraints.

The recommended Php version for XOOPS is 4.3.4 and above and this is the same for WF-Project software. Php version 4.1.2 is old and with the ever changing software boundaries imposed on us this would be considered old and obsolete. So in reality, if your web server host is using that old a version then really for security reasons alone they should be made to update their software.

Now that we know there is an issue and where it stems we shall try and have a look why this is happening and what is causing it. But I will not compromise future versions while trying to observe some sort of backward compatibly for a few users when this could easily be changed by server hosting companies who will not update their software for some reason.

kenmcd
  • 2004/9/14 20:45

• kenmcd

• Just popping in

I understand completely. And agree with you completely.
I have no idea why SourceForge is using such an old version of PHP.
Really old.
Quite odd.
I have PHP 4.3.x on all other servers I deal with.

I have found a few other sites on SourceForge (SF) using XOOPS.
None are using WF-Section.
I did have a brief communication with one of those webmasters and he tried and had the same problem.
All those other sites on SF are running plain XOOPS core modules.
Which apparently does run on 4.1.2.
The XOOPS install info states PHP 4.1.2 as a minimum.
I'll give version 1 a try and if it does not work it's core modules only on SF!

WF-Section 2.0.2 (-alpha, -beta, ?) -- the new admin interface is very nice.
Definitely an improvement.
Separating the setup and operating functions is a usability plus.
Guess I'll give it a try now on an up-to-date server.
Thanks for your help . . . and for a very powerful, useful module.

Login

Who's Online

255 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 255

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits