gravies
Set permissions for replies in newbb
  • 2004/9/4 16:06

• gravies

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/8/18

I would like to allow forum posters to be able to set group permissions for their reply. Why?

I post a topic in an open forum... later in the thread someone wants to post something that only registered users can see.

This is a mixed form of private and open where privacy is at the post level not the forum level.

I propose using the standard *NIX permissions for each reply so posters can see all their posts, anything posted by people in the same group as them.

Things needed off the top of my head:

A simple 'Make Private' button on the reply.php page
A new field in bb_posts to hold the private flag
A check in viewtopic against the flag, the user group and the poster group to display or not.

I hope someone has done this already but I cannot find it in any hack - may I'm not searching for the right keywords?

Thanks for you thoughts...

Speed
Re: Set permissions for replies in newbb
  • 2004/9/4 17:45

• Speed

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

There will be a feature similiar to this in the next NewBB upgrade. They use a "karma" setting which will only allow those with a karma of xxxxx or above to read the post/response as set by the poster.

I haven't looked into how karma is set on users.

gravies
  • 2004/9/13 17:50

• gravies

• Not too shy to talk

Yes, the Karma feature looks very nice, especially for sites like this where you know little about your users except what they post / how often they login etc. There is also a new "Require Reply" feature that might fit my needs.

I would still like to see an extra "Group" in the View Requirements section.

I'll have a look at the code for the Require Reply and see how hard it would be to add.

gravies
  • 2004/9/13 17:56

• gravies

• Not too shy to talk

On a related issue it seems that in newbb Beta 4 you can select a Reply requirement to a New Topic... so people have to reply to something they cannot read before they can read it! I'm sure this will be reported as a bug soon...

However, despite this I just realized that the Reply requirement does actually go a long way to my Group permissions. If a particular Group cannot post to a forum then they will not be able to read certain posts as they cannot reply. So this might work.

Sorry for double post!

Login

Who's Online

240 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 240

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits