Re: Is Xoops falling behind??
  • 2004/8/5 17:17

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

I wanted to echo Herko's point above.

So many people point to the nuke's stable of modules and say:
"see it is so much better, because of all the modules"

But when you go to port them to Xoops, you realize that they are steaming piles of cow dung. You then feel the need to rewrite is from scratch, porting features and not code. This takes a while. But in the end you end up with better modules. Less but better.

No one wants to tack weld a soup can on the muffler of a corvette(Xoops). But if I drove a Ford Pinto(Nuke) I could not care less.

Pardon the car analogy, I am from Detroit.

JMass

ChadK
  • 2004/8/5 18:31

• ChadK

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/9 1

I'm not good enough to write modules yet but I spent yesterday (yes, the whole day) writing two pages in PHP that I could use. Actually, one is more of a hack to the myAds module but because I have twice as much code in the page as the original. Still, it's a hack. The other page isn't that pretty but it does what I need done and it wasn't easy to figure out. ;) It's not anything I'm going to release any time soon because it's basically an email scraper. It scrapes emails from a page, sends the person an email and adds them to a table so they aren't emailed twice.

The myads hack allows people who post classified ads on my site to have those ads automatically posted on remote classified ad sites at the same time. Busted my ass figuring that one out... and it was sooo simple.

theprof
  • 2004/8/5 20:48

• theprof

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/14

ChadK thats cool....

soon you will be supply XOOPS community with ChadK Modules

keep up the work

Bassman
  • 2004/8/5 22:54

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

I'm keen to get into creating modules too. My main problem is my lack of knowledge of PHP/MySQL. However, i've managed to convert a couple of PHP scripts into XOOPS modules without too much trouble. That's what I would suggest for someone who wants to get into making XOOPS modules - find a script you would like to port, or modify an existing module to do what you want it to do - even if the module is never released to the public, you'll learn something yourself. And eventually, hopefully, you'll be able to learn enough to build a fully-functioning, integrated XOOPS module. That's my dream, anyhow :)

theprof
  • 2004/8/5 23:42

• theprof

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/14

Bassman!..

How did you go about porting? what are the main ins-and-outs..maybe a doc. to explain somewhere?

Off the top of my head I know there are 3 scripts I would love to port...

prof

Bassman
  • 2004/8/6 0:23

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

Well, it all depends what the scripts are, if they need integration into the XOOPS database, if they will need any of the XOOPS variables or functions.....
My first successful effort was the Globetrotter guestmap. First of all I studied an existing XOOPS module to see what was required to be recognised as a module (xoops_version.php, admin logo, language folder with English subfolder, modinfo.php inside that) and made a folder to hold all that. The XOOPS Wiki helps for that part. Then I modified the above files to reflect my new module. I actually found a Nuke version of the script which ran in an I-Frame, so I kept that part of it. However the Nuke module required it's own database, so I changed it so that tables were created in the XOOPS database instead. This involves a few lines in the xoops_version.php file, and another subfolder called sql with an sql dump file inside. Then I had to modify the main globetrotter file to recognise the XOOPS variables such as XOOPS_URL, XOOPS_ROOT_PATH, database things etc. It sounds complicated, but it was actually easier than it sounds. What scripts did you have in mind? I could possibly give you a hand if you like....

-Page
  • 2004/9/4 4:26

• -Page

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/16

This "HostingPlans" module has to be a pretty good example of the what a skeleton mod can be.

What would be really cool is if there was a mod that could help you to make mods!

1) (easier) A form that would have the xoops_version.php code sample in a text area, MySQL sample text in another text area, etc with pop ups or overlays (or what ever) to guide you through the important considerations of each
- Then, A) (easier) Display the code that should be in each file. or B) (better) - make the files / compile the package.

2)(Best) A comment-laced form that asks questions, offers relevant options, asks for information, accepts files and personalized variables, offers to make it duplicatable etc, and then builds the package from it.

Something like that would really need to be the pet of a modder with god status, but it seems as though it would be possible.

I'll bet that the vast majority of people that use XOOPS are very similar in regards to working with lots of the other worthy Sourceforge projects and commercial PHP and CGI but never coding their own, - Just finding the code that calls what they want and making it their own.

PS. - I know that I downloaded a sample / empty skeleton module offered on a site that I was at, I'll try to find the references.

Catzwolf
  • 2004/9/4 5:09

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

As you know, we at WF-Projects are like the new 'guys' in town (we so to speak).

Many have spoken on how easy it is to make a module for Xoops, well I am sorry but this is like saying it looks easy water skiin or riding a horse. until you have actual been shown how to do these then prepare yourself for one hell of a ride.

Its easy enough throwing a few lines of code in the same file and calling it a module or a script, is that really what it is? And the comments made be certain people he seem to belittle the efforts of Module developers by saying that with a few hours you to can create a module.

Just because you can pick up a paint brush doesn't make you an artist!

Please, be a bit more relistic when telling others how easy or hard something is before they get all their hopes up.

As porting modules from other CMS's, I personally would not touch them unless they we strong modules in the first place. A badly written module could create more work for you rather tham starting from scratch.

Just my 2p worth

jonr_is
  • 2006/2/28 1:02

• jonr_is

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/2 1

Quote:

JMorris wrote:
I've worked with PHPNuke, PostNuke, Drupal, phpWebsite, phpBB, IPB, vB Board, Burning Board, phpGedView, Movable Type, Blogger.... just to name a few. I've worked other, more obscure, portals, Blogs and forums as well, but I can't recall all I've worked with in the past two years. Some, I gave up on from the first day, some I've actually put into production.

As a whole though, I feel XOOPS has offered the best security, feature set, and stability combination of everything I've worked with.

I agree. I did (some) research when I wanted to change from custom cms to general cms. And in the end XOOPS was close to what I wanted. It is no frills cms, simple to set up and maintain.
It has it's quirks (Get rid of that /modules/ from the paths!) but in the end, it simply worked. It might have helped me that I am familiar with Smarty, and I could use my Smarty templates almost unchanged from the old site.
And making a module is easy, At least simple read-only module to display data.
The only problem left for my site (aside from the annoying /modules/ 'feature') is to create a custom frontpage, I still hasn't found a good examples to create a cached frontpage. So the news module will have to do for the moment.
Enjoy: 4-3system.com
Now on Xoops: 4-3system.com

Will_H
  • 2006/2/28 2:53

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

I just have to say that this thread was a delightful read.

As far as the modules (or lack there of) are concerned. The only true way to understand is to get in there. Scour the wiki, there is alot more info there than some users would have you believe. Visit sites! If you are in the forums and you see someone with a crapload of posts, they arent necessarily a post who*e. Chances are that they are going to have alot of great docs and info on their own sites.

Granted, yes its not all conveniently layed out in a nice neat package, but it is out there. My first attempt at a module rendered my ---->TEST<---- site useless :) and to this day I am not confident enough in my own work to really start ripping out modules. That doesn't mean I have given up on anything, just taking my time to really understand what it is that I am doing.

The most important thing is to enjoy it, dont let it get to ya.... Monitors are expensive these days

Login

Who's Online

254 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 254

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits