daddystu
Users submissions
  • 2004/8/29 15:16

• daddystu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/25

Two things...
1.I am looking at guests being able to apply onine for a job. They would have then to submit some basic information , perhaps submitting a c.v and/or essay. I thought the Contact us module - modified - might be a good starting point?? Not sure how this works though, does the data go into the database or just forwarded to email??

2.It would also be good if registered users could submit a lesson idea (we work with teachers) which could then go to a downloads section.
It looks as if these things are doable but there might be easier ways and harder ways....

Any/all hints greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

nostatic
Re: Users submissions
  • 2004/8/29 15:51

• nostatic

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/13

Stewdio
  • 2004/8/29 16:01

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

The contact module does not store any information in the database. It only sends an email. The default contact module that comes packaged with XOOPS is not powerfull enough (read customisable) for resume/CV submissions along with other details.

A good contact module to look into that is very flexible is call Liaise. I'm not sure where you can the latest version, but it can be found with search a here on the site I'm sure.

Liaise, will allow you to create custom fields like radio buttons, plain HTML for text descriptions or other information you want to supply, plus automated user name fields (for registered users), email fields (pulled from user info) and many other types of forms. You can also specify required fields, like the Full name of the applicant, their CV, employment history, refrences and all of that.

This information can then be sent to what ever group you assign, or just to the webmaster in an email, or private message.

The advantage is that you get a copy in your inbox to read and consider with everything you specify in the form creator. The drawback is if you want to share this information, you have to either forward it, or create a custom page on your site and do some legwork on your own to get it displayed on your site. That can become a large task if you get many submissions that you require others to view.

It's also possible that you can create a new group of users first and give the people you want to recieve the messages sent through the specified form access to that group. Then create and edit your form to your liking and specify what group should get the form once it is submitted. This way it saves you a lot of work of posting the info again on the site, or forwarding the mail yourself.

By no means is this the only way to do things, but in your situation, this is what I would do in order to lessen the workload and automate the submission of CV's for your end users. Also, your specified group will also get a copy.

For your second question, I would recommend using the default 'sections' module for starters, but for more raw power and user group maintainence, I strongly suggest using WF-sections, or some other content module of that variety (again, search for a link).

What this will allow you to do is specify which group has permission to post new 'lessons' (read articles from a module standpoint) and then you can automaticially supply a page or link for them once the 'idea' has been submitted and/or approved. Article management will allow you to approve or dissaprove the 'lessons' before going live on the website. A good idea for grammar and structure for presentation purposes.

The entire WF-Project is worth looking into for other options, like that of downloads as you had suggested or envisioned.

Again, these are not definitive options nor have I fully explained at any great deatail of what can be done with these and other modules, but you do have the power and flexibility of the combined XOOPS package and it's incredibly rich and talented module coders. Together these people, along with people like you with real needs are what makes this system shine.

You can achieve anything you need in some manner and I hope these meager ideas give you some insight into your options for future consideration.

Good Luck, and happy XOOPSing!

tjnemez
  • 2004/8/29 16:12

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

Quote:
A good contact module to look into that is very flexible is call Liaise.

http://www.brandycoke.com/home/modules/cryptica/showfile.php?file_id=10

Stewdio
  • 2004/8/29 16:26

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Thanks for covering my lazy butt TJ and posting the link

daddystu
  • 2004/8/30 1:45

• daddystu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/25

Thanks ALL of you, great responses, I'm looking at liaise and will delve into the WF projects after that.

Thanks again...gonna be back here for sure!!!

Login

Who's Online

253 user(s) are online (174 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 253

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits