rossi
Re: New Module and Hack: 'Registration Codes' -- for pre-assigning group membership to new users
  • 2004/8/24 15:47

• rossi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/24

Excuse me for I was not clear. I mean may be different situation: when you have maillist created (thirty part maillist or just the group REGISTERED ). So you give them all the chance to become members of separe maillists via xoops. Send message
"Who wants messages interesting for students group code BLAH1
messages interesting for teacherts code blah2 , for developers blah3..."

And everybody homealone decide where to subscribe to. After that you have some kind of maillists based on XOOPS and send your messages from :admin menu ->sistem admin -> mail users -> Send message to users whose group is:...

Best wishes!
Rostislav

jegelstaff
Re: New Module and Hack: 'Registration Codes' -- for pre-assigning group membership to new users

I see, you have a list of users who you want to give a code to, and they would have the option of using it or not. Yes, that is different from the situation I described where you assume all the people need to made members of the group, no choice.

I will probably be expanding this module soon to handle removing user accounts, and I might also add in this ability for users to use codes to sign up for groups. I'll keep you posted.

--Julian

rossi
  • 2004/8/25 19:12

• rossi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/24

I could have some time to help you bilding this module if you want. Mail me at rkandilarov@kill.spam@mail.bg

Regards!
Rostislav

jegelstaff

Update!

A couple bug fixes (I guess no one is actually using this or else I would have heard from a disgruntled admin by now). We now have reg codes in production use on one of our servers so I stand behind the code 100% and believe it to be bug free.

Get the updated version at:

http://www.freeformsolutions.ca/reg_codes_1.1.zip

A new feature has been added. The Full Name is part of the registration page now, not just the username. The Full Name is an important part of our sites so we wanted it set on account creation and didn't want to make users do an extra step just to enter their Full Name once they're inside the system.

--------------

Rossi, thanks for the offer! You're welcome to poke around in the code, if you add any features or mods, please get in touch with a PM so I can incorporate the changes. With a lot of projects on the go right now, I don't think I have time to coordinate with anyone else on changes to the module though. And frankly, unless the scope broadens considerably it's not a multi person task. It only took about 7 hours from blank screen to finished .zip file to build and test reg_codes (and miss the bugs that got fixed in 1.1, oops!).

Our plans right now seem to be headed in the direction of building a more full featured admin-add-on module that would include some user management and group management features (like a page to see a list of groups that a user is a member of, and adjust their group membership). If we build such a thing, reg codes would probably be subsumed inside it.

We just launched an intranet site with 60 groups and several hundred users. We'll see how it goes with the features XOOPS currently has. If the office floor is covered in pulled out hair a week from now, maybe module development will become a high priority!

--Julian

jegelstaff

Quote:

tjnemez wrote:
julian i just downloaded module, however, it is just directories and no files?

I read something on another forum about .zip files opening up empty if you click on them and have your browser automatically open the file for you. But if you save them to your hard drive (right-click and save the target) and then open up the file, it contains files. Not sure if that is the problem you were having, but maybe?

PM me if it doesn't work and you really want to try the module.

Good luck,

--Julian

irmtfan
  • 2004/9/1 5:02

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

any chance to develope this for registered users.
i want user can subscribe and unsubscribe for a group and approve by admin. this feature is really needed.
thank u

tklee
Registration Codes vs. Registration Keys
  • 2004/9/9 19:36

• tklee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/18

I'm quoting here so you don't have to look for the original post:
Quote:

jegelstaff wrote:
RE: Registration Keys...

I'll make a few comments that might help people see where there are some differences. ....

... [omit] ...

It looks to me that the biggest difference between the two modules, from a sys admin perspective, is that Reg Keys is a tightly integrated system module that makes changes to eight core files in a few different places.

Whereas our Registration Codes module is not a system module, and it makes changes to two core files (/register.php and /include/registerform.php).

So if you want something that doesn't alter your XOOPS installation that much, then ours might be the one to go with. If you want something integrated tightly with the core, Reg Keys is probably better.

It seems that Reg Keys was built originally for 2.0.6RC (according to the readme), and at least one of the files it altered is not actually present in 2.0.7 (/registration.php), so that might complicate upgrading or installing it from scratch in 2.0.7 or higher (though I suspect register.php in 2.0.7 is very similar to registration.php in 2.0.6).

Also, our module has a permission system, with which you can control which groups are allowed to create codes for membership in which other groups (so the webmaster doesn't have to do all the code issuing, you could let people in one of your groups issue codes that allowed new users to have membership in only that same group). I'm not sure if Reg Keys has that feature, but it's not mentioned in the readme.

Thanks for reading! Happy XOOPSING,

--Julian

I've been using Registartion Key from since it's out and have been very happy with that. When I first saw Registartion Codes module, I felt sorry that information wasn't effectly spreaded and people have done duplicated work.

Trying both, I have some comments:

1. module vs. hack

I agree with Julian that Registration Key is easier to install and upgrade. Two core files to deal with only. On the other hand, being a module and a hack might be somewhat confusing for non-technical admins -- what if they uninstall the module without remembering some core files have been changed? May I suggest wrapping those added codes with a condition statement so if the module is not installed, those codes will get skipped?)

2. invitation from group

Registration Keys is admin-only tool so the webmasters have to do everything; Registration Codes provides the "group invitation by group member" function. That's really cool. I also found automatic expiration very useful.

3. random Codes

About the randomly generated password, I'd suggest it being optional. Keys are all assigned in Registration Keys, but in Registration Codes you only get system generated random codes. Maybe there can be a button or a javascript for the system to generate one if the user chooses to. Making it optional allows us to use meaningful keywords to invite people.

And, salute to both authors.

tklee
bugs?
  • 2004/9/9 19:55

• tklee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/18

I turned PHP debug on and got these:

On the module page (called by a user):

Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: asl in file modules/reg_codes/index.php line 273
Warning [PHP]: array_reverse(): The argument should be an array in file modules/reg_codes/index.php line 273
Warning [PHP]: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in file modules/reg_codes/index.php line 274
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: tempigroupnames in file modules/reg_codes/index.php line 339
Notice [PHP]: Undefined offset: 0 in file modules/reg_codes/index.php line 339
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: thiscode in file modules/reg_codes/index.php line 126

On module admin page:

Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: grouplist_id in file modules/reg_codes/admin/index.php line 99
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: grouplist_name in file modules/reg_codes/admin/index.php line 100

jegelstaff

Quote:

irmtfan wrote:
any chance to develope this for registered users.
i want user can subscribe and unsubscribe for a group and approve by admin. this feature is really needed.
thank u

I believe Rossi is working on adding in this kind of feature, but I'm not certain.

We are really busy with some newly launched client sites right now, but we do have plans for some advanced administration module(s) in the near future, and this kind of registered- users-can-join-groups-themselves feature might find its way in there.

--Julian

jegelstaff
Re: bugs?

Quote:

tklee wrote:
I turned PHP debug on and got these:

[snip]

Just notices. They don't affect the operation of the module at all. Thanks,

--Julian

Login

Who's Online

162 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 162

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits