intel352
*nuke users moving to xoops - need a site conversion script?
  • 2004/5/25 18:08

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

I'm just wondering how much demand there is for a site conversion script from PHP/Post/NSN-Nuke(nsnnuke is now OpenSiteManager) to Xoops2

using BoobToob's PN-to-Xoops conversion template, I've got a smoothly working script that is nicely porting over my NSN-Nuke content to a Xoops2 database. it also preserves the admin user that i created under XOOPS during installation

if there's high demand, I may package it into an easy-to-use script, no manual editing, but depends on if there's a need.

also, on the side, i'm working on an idea for a universal conversion script, to convert cms-to-cms and hopefully preserve all data possible. it's in it's infancy stages right now, but i have a good idea of how i might be able to pull it off. the intention is to create an easy to use script where users may easily move to and from a CMS without losing data and without struggling to install 50 gazillion CMSs and populate them with content to see how they handle. you would be able to use the db from a high-content site to populate other cmses that you want to test, and see how well it handles

at first it'll most likely be targeted towards converting to XOOPS (since XOOPS is my CMS-of-choice at the moment), but i'd like to support all major CMSes, if just at least to play around with the newest CMS 'technology' at the time

anyways, if you use *nuke or any other cms and want to move your content to xoops, post here, i'll see if i can work something up for you. i'll even do priority requests for a nominal fee

Speed
Re: *nuke users moving to xoops - need a site conversion script?
  • 2004/5/25 18:16

• Speed

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

How are you handling forums? Importing into newBB? Do avatars and such follow the user to new forums? Do forum restrictions follow? This would likely be the largest stumbling block for most people making a conversion to a new CMS.

I have a site that I'd like to convert over if I could do so painlessly. Otherwise for me and my lack of php skills, it's likely easier to start over from scratch and learn as I go.

intel352
  • 2004/5/25 18:50

• intel352

• Module Developer

yes, porting into newbb

haven't test the avatar aspect yet, didn't try to port that, but i'll see what i can do (i'll have to copy over all the avatars from my live site to the test site to see if it works)

forum restrictions seem to transfer correctly, i'm still testing the ported data though to make sure.

i just noticed i didn't aggregate the user's post count, i can fix that with no problem tho.

anyways, the biggest thing (to my mind) is getting the actual content transferred over. setting up proper restrictions is not as big of a deal since it shouldn't take an admin long to do that, but i'm trying to make sure that everything works properly. so far, all data appears proper, but i'm still doublechecking

what cms are you moving from? NSN-Nuke or PHP-Nuke or a different one?

intel352
  • 2004/5/25 19:44

• intel352

• Module Developer

after a bit of testing, it turns out i implemented the access rights conversion correctly

i haven't tested private forums yet (because i didn't have any to port), but as for anonymous, registered, webmaster requirements to post in certain forums, that carried over properly

(i.e.- anonymous can only post in anonymous enabled forums, same for registered)

i'm going to test porting existing groups now.

stealth
  • 2004/8/20 15:21

• stealth

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/20

Hi there,

I'm mainly interested if you found a way to port the user account data ? I've got this shitty task to port the user accounts of an old php nuke 5.5 to a XOOPS 2.0.7. I was thinking of writing a small piece of code that would take care of that, but then I searched this forum and found your article. I wouldn't want to re-invent the wheel you know

Let me know...

intel352
  • 2004/8/20 16:53

• intel352

• Module Developer

yep, ports the users as well. keep in mind though, nuke 5.5's fields are named differently, the whole structure might be different. if you could find nuke upgrade scripts, you could upgrade to nuke 6.5 or 6.8 (i recommend 6.8 since that was my testbed), and then port to xoops

stealth
  • 2004/8/20 22:32

• stealth

• Just popping in

That's very interesting...

I suppose you GPL'ed your script
Where can I obtain it ?

Thanks for the effort, I guess there are lot's of people that don't feel like starting over completely.

intel352
  • 2004/8/20 22:39

• intel352

• Module Developer

my post from another thread

Quote:
Here is a script that i wrote, based on the PostNuke to XOOPS conversion template. It's made to convert users, forums, news, downloads, weblinks, private messages, and groups.

NOTE: This script converts NSN Groups (from NukeScripts), I never used the PHP-Nuke built-in Group system that was introduced around 7.x. If you want to convert a non-NSN Groups table, you'll have to alter the script yourself.

This script was written with PHP-Nuke 6.8 + NSN-Groups as the site being converted to Xoops, so it is not guaranteed to work for your setup.

PHP-NUKE_TO_XOOPS CONVERTER

EDIT: BE SURE TO TEST THIS SCRIPT FIRST. I think there might be a glitch, trying to check and make sure (regarding the admin user access).

ALSO, this script removes any currently existing data except for what *should* stay (i.e.- admin user stays, XOOPS groups stay, everything else is removed)

intel352
  • 2004/8/20 22:40

• intel352

• Module Developer

btw, i fixed that glitch that i mentioned, the script worked fine after the fix was applied, and i updated the script.

stealth
  • 2004/8/21 17:11

• stealth

• Just popping in

Thanks a lot !

Now I have to find update scripts for PN
6.8 was your testbed you said ? ... You wouldn't have any in your archive ? Would you ?

I'll check out the script asap.

Gotta run...

Login

Who's Online

183 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 183

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits