lesm123
database error on WindowsME
  • 2004/8/20 21:39

• lesm123

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/19

This is my first time creating a MySQL database on a windowsME computer. Apache an PHP are okay for years.

Have installed MySql 3.23.51 and according to WinMySQLadmin it's okay. However, after creating the database, I run install.php and the proccess ends with this error:

Could not connect to the database server.

My phpInfo is:

MySQL Support enabled
Active Persistent Links 0
Active Links 0
Client API version 3.23.49

Directive Local Value Master Value
mysql.allow_persistent On On
mysql.connect_timeout 60 60
mysql.default_host no value no value
mysql.default_password no value no value
mysql.default_port no value no value
mysql.default_socket no value no value
mysql.default_user no value no value
mysql.max_links Unlimited Unlimited
mysql.max_persistent Unlimited Unlimited
mysql.trace_mode Off Off

It seems that PHP doesn't know where the database is. Any help?

tedsmith
Re: database error on WindowsME
  • 2004/8/20 22:54

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Before we go on, have you actually created a database? If not, close mysqladmin and ensure mysql.exe is not running either (close it using Task Manager). Then open a DOS shell, go to c:\mysql\bin, type mysql. Then, at the >mysql prompt type 'create database databasename' (without quotes). If it lets you do that, great. Restart mysqladmin and see if your database is listed in the databases tab. If it is, try installing XOOPS again. If it isn't, then it's likely that you have somehow locked yourself out of the MySQL system and you'll need to flush the privilages.

I highly recommend you visit the MySQL website, and look up resetting root user passwords and flushing privilages (I had to do it once but have forgotton the syntax now).

Also, read this thread :

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=21413&forum=1#forumpost93117

If none of those suggestions work, check the settings in the my.ini file (you can look at it using MySQLAdmin.exe). Ensure the username and password are correct. If they are, check the database tab at the far right. If there's a problem it is likely that only the database called 'test' will be listed. If there isn't a problem, then another database called MySQL will be listed, plus the one you created yourself.

Another tip - download and instal xsas. That will install MySQL, Apache and php all for you at once. Great little tool. I think you can get it from this site. Just do a search.

One last thing - I don't know if you are a Windows ME enthusiast, but if I were you I'd ditch it. It is without doubt the worst operating system ever made - Microsoft practially admit that themselves!

Good luck

Ted

lesm123
  • 2004/8/21 1:18

• lesm123

• Just popping in

Ted,
Your response enlighted me.

The fourth window during XOOPS installation asks for:

Database Username
Your database user account on the host

Database Password
Password for your database user account

So, I entered username and password. That caused the installation to fail. Leaving it blank solved the problem.

Thanks a lot.
LESM

PS: I use an old Pentium II/WindowsME for testing. After learning XOOPS, will decide to use it or not in a new site.

tedsmith
  • 2004/8/21 8:13

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

In that case I guess the problem was the you had not created a database, but you were telling XOOPS to install using 'Whatever Database' with 'Whatever Password' but it didn't exist, although usually you'd get an error like 'Cannot connect to database' as opposed to the db server. Mystery.

Well, by the looks of it XOOPS created the database for you when you left it blank, so bravo for Xoops.

Glad I could of been of some assistance.

lesm123
  • 2004/8/21 17:59

• lesm123

• Just popping in

No Ted, as I said I created a database using WinMySQLadmin before running Xoops. That's the way MySQL works.
However, since this is a test computer, a few minutes ago I deleted MySql and XOOPS and tried again. Same results as shown in my first post.
What shocked me is that I have checked all logs and see no errors at all.

lesm123
  • 2004/8/21 18:00

• lesm123

• Just popping in

No Ted, as I said I created a database using WinMySQLadmin before running Xoops. That's the way MySQL works.
However, since this is a test computer, a few minutes ago I deleted MySql and XOOPS and tried again. Same results as shown in my first post.
What shocked me is that I have checked all logs and see no errors at all.

DonXoop

You need to create a MySQL user with rights to the db you created. That information along with where the server is (localhost?) will get you there.

For practice you can use the phpmyadmin and login into the db using the name/password you created and if you can access the XOOPS db then it should work.

Login

Who's Online

400 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 400

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits