intel352
phpbb integrated module teaser
  • 2004/8/18 17:44

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

this is a complete integration attempt, taking place athttp://dev.xoops.org
the purpose is to completely port phpbb into a XOOPS module, without modifying any XOOPS core files.

PREVIEW SCREENSHOTS
Forum Index
Displaying topics in Category
Posts in topic (top)
Posts in topic (bottom w/ quick reply mod)
Reply form

nuance9
Re: phpbb integrated module teaser
  • 2004/8/19 3:10

• nuance9

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/13

Looks cool. How easy will it be to upgrade phpBB once you have it installed as a module?

intel352
  • 2004/8/19 4:01

• intel352

• Module Developer

very. an upgrade script will be provided

Bachus
  • 2004/8/19 10:04

• Bachus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/18

And the most important question: when?

P.S. This is what i've been waiting for for a looooong time... good luck

tazzy
  • 2004/8/19 11:45

• tazzy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/4 1

Ooooh... just when I was thinking about moving away from XOOPS to something that integrates more with phpbb

intel352
  • 2004/8/19 12:10

• intel352

• Module Developer

when is when it's done, lol. i hope to have most major bugs worked out in a week or so at the latest (but this is free programming in my spare time, lol, so yeah, don't quote me)

there are a few anomalies that have cropped up, due to the port itself, so i haveta make sure i find and fix all issues.

keep in mind, this will be a stripped down version of phpbb. i've included a few extra hacks (modded the board with some small additions before i began the port), but all the extra shiznit, such as private messages, memberlist, groupcp, userprofile, etc, is all stuff that should be handled by xoops. so to make this a cleaner module, i'm stripping out anything that i think duplicates a XOOPS feature, and trying to focus on the forum part specifically.

one of my favorite 'hacks' that i installed on this phpbb, tho, is the ability to see who voted how, in a poll (from the admin menu)

anyways, i should have a useable version out in a few weeks, but it won't be *completely* ported or bugfree for a few months, i imagine (i'll have to take others onto the team to help patch bugs, create a proper XOOPS admin interface, etc)

but yeah, i wouldn't leave XOOPS anytime soon if i were you. there are some good things on the horizon, such as newbb2 (which has resumed development), xphpbbi (this project), and of course XOOPS 2.1/2.2 is looming in the near distance

nuance9
  • 2004/8/19 16:44

• nuance9

• Just popping in

Will the XOOPS search work on the phpBB module like it does with the standard forums?

I haven't used the standard XOOPS forums much yet, what are the benefits of phpBB over them?

Thanks!

intel352
  • 2004/8/19 16:48

• intel352

• Module Developer

not just yet, but that won't be hard to include

standard XOOPS forum is what you're using here at xoops.org, it's fairly basic, kinda like a comments system. well, phpbb has some tweaks like quick-reply, polls (haven't seen polls in newbb, but i may just be ignorant, lol), sticky posts, announcements, and a ton more admin features

at least, generally speaking. i would setup a test install of phpbb if i were you, play around with it, and then do the same with a XOOPS site + newbb. it's kinda hard to explain the differences (for me, at least), but i know they're there, and they're usually evident when you're comparing, lol.

nuance9
  • 2004/8/20 1:03

• nuance9

• Just popping in

I have used phpBB quite a bit. I know the features you mention, and would miss them quite a bit. So - keep up the good work! I look forward to the release!

brash
  • 2004/8/20 1:22

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Nice one bd_csmc , I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Login

Who's Online

116 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 116

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits