cakoala
Multiple Sites on a Single Server
  • 2004/8/12 18:12

• cakoala

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/12

I host non profit organizations for free. They have been clamoring for more functionality and I have decided to start offer XOOPS as the framework for collaborative sites. I have a single server connected to a T1 that I use. It is running Debian, MySQL, and Apache. Up till now I have used the Apache Virtual Host functionality to handle all the sites (about a dozen). I would like to conserve processing power by creating a minimum of databases and other running deamons (or is this not a problem)

I read the install guide and it appears that you need a seperate DB for each install. Also, it seems that each install will use its own libraries. I can't tell if the final system launches any deamons (athough it appears not to.)

Does anyone know if I will have issues with multiple MySQL instances running on one platform?

Are there any gotchas with creating the multiple MySQL and/or XOOPS instances?

Will the Lakers ever win another championship in my lifetime?

I (and a dozen good hearted groups) await your response...

m0nty
Re: Multiple Sites on a Single Server
  • 2004/8/12 18:22

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

hmmm well you dont actually need seperate databases for each install as you can change the table prefix from the default xoops_ to anything you want..

but as each site gets more content it will put more load on the database so a seperate database is preferable.

as for the lakers.. hmmm i can't see that being possible :P

cakoala
  • 2004/8/15 21:40

• cakoala

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/12

Thanks Monty, I didn't see where I could change that pre-pending but I will look harder. It should work because none of these sites get a lot of hits.

m0nty
  • 2004/8/16 4:49

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

its on the setup screen where u enter your database user names and passwords etc..

default prefix xoops_ you probly overlooked it as it's not a necessary input that needs changing in most cases.. :)

Login

Who's Online

385 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 385

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits